Main Menu

Kurtz versus Lucas

Started by CountDeMoney, April 12, 2012, 09:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2012, 12:34:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2012, 12:13:33 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2012, 12:02:59 PM
I disagree there, Darth Maul had to die. What was he going to do, Kill Qui Gong and then run away when, now, he was only fighting Obi Wan? It's Luke that escapes in the original movies, not darth vader.
Nonsense.
Part of the attraction to Vader is that he had 3 films to develop a true identity of baddie evhulness.
Darth Maul would've been an awesome baddie to continue to develop over time.  Alas, he was a cookie cut-out.
Aw come on. Vaders baddie evhulness cred is established within 60 seconds of him first appearing on screen. Maul has a full scene of exposition where he is "commanded" to go after our heros.
No shit.  Vader is large and in charge, tossing around some rebel soldier like he was made of pillowfluff, and the Imperial troops defer to him.  Maul, on the other hand, just walks around and is talked to.  Maul definitely had potential, but the construction of his scenes turned him into a bitch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2012, 01:14:46 PM
No shit.  Vader is large and in charge, tossing around some rebel soldier like he was made of pillowfluff, and the Imperial troops defer to him.  Maul, on the other hand, just walks around and is talked to.  Maul definitely had potential, but the construction of his scenes turned him into a bitch.

Of course it did;  after all, this was from the guy that brought you Boba Fett's Death By Bitch.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Ideologue

Oh, yeah, and I'm paid to use my legal expertise to help litigate a major consumer lawsuit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2012, 11:35:35 AM
Nope.  Totally sucked. 

Could've been great on two premises:  kept Darth Maul around for the series, and actually made Anakin something other than a whiny little emo cutter fuck.

And filming the massacre of all the little Jeditos at the temple would've been cool.

Alas, we were stuck with a teenage romance, with all the drama of 6th period study hall.

It would have been better if Lucas had actually used backstory material from the Expanded Universe instead of shitting on the whole lot and making things up.

garbon

Because the expanded universe wasn't made up? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

viper37

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2012, 06:35:06 AM
The first three movies were supposed to answer the question of how Anakin the good guy (as described by Alec Guiness in A New Hope) became Vader the bad guy. It didn't answer that question satisfactory to any level of credulity.
teenager, totally not in control of his emotions, loses his mother to a band of savages, proceed on killing said savages, feels pleasure about this, yet it is contrary to all he is told.  Now, he's told the right thing is to let is girlfriend die, he doesn't like it one bit, finally snaps.

Beats becoming a psycho after a wolf bite anytime of the day, imho.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Jake Lloyd gets to be a little kid and Hayden Christensen gets to be an emo teen.
Hayden Christensen kept on being an actor after these sub-par performances.  That surprised me.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

The only other movie I've seen Christensen in is a flick he did before Ep. 2. In it he plays Kevin Kline's emo teenage son.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on April 16, 2012, 12:57:48 PM
Jake Lloyd gets to be a little kid and Hayden Christensen gets to be an emo teen.
Hayden Christensen kept on being an actor after these sub-par performances.  That surprised me.
You can't blame the kid.  Lucas made everyone involved in the prequels seem retarded.  Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson.  Nobody came out looking like a winner in those things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2012, 01:07:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 16, 2012, 12:57:48 PM
You can't blame the kid.  Lucas made everyone involved in the prequels seem retarded.  Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson.  Nobody came out looking like a winner in those things.

Oddly enough, Ian McDiarmid gave the IMHO best performance in the prequels. Up till the "transformation" scene after which he turned the ham up to eleventy-eleven.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.