And we're back!

Main Menu

Kurtz versus Lucas

Started by CountDeMoney, April 12, 2012, 09:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2012, 09:30:32 AM
You guys are over thinking this.

You did not lose much nerd cred, for, God knows, you did not have much to lose; but you lost all you had.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Dude, I'm paid to be a music and movie snob.  It's what I do.
Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 14, 2012, 09:20:02 AM
A thousand nerd voices just cried out in orgasm.
No shit. :lol:

Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2012, 09:26:18 AM
If I can't root for the guys killing Imperial Storm Troopers then it isn't Star Wars.

Well, the comic has the stormies as cannon fodder. There's a senior, competent commander (later killed), plus a few junior officers. The most junior one is competent, though without connections, so his incompetent colleagues (from wealthy families) scoff at him. The junior gets several battlefield commissions, but they're in the end revoked by high command, because the other surviving officers won't corroborate his story, and he's in fact reprimanded for the high losses and the near destruction of the unit. So there's a bit to hate on in the Imperials.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 14, 2012, 10:31:40 AM

Dude, I'm paid to be a music and movie snob.  It's what I do.

I haven't said anything lately, but this seems like an aspirational (gross?) mis-characterization.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

Viking

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 14, 2012, 10:52:56 AM
What does DSB do?

Dunno, In norway they work for disaster and terrorism preparednes as well as setting health and safety standards, while in Denmark they run the trains.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

What does DSB do?

When I worked at Barnes & Noble, I was not paid to be a book snob.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2012, 11:08:48 AM
What does DSB do?

When I worked at Barnes & Noble, I was not paid to be a book snob.

I suspect you did that for free.... :P

Caliga

How is liking Star Wars "snobbery" in any way, shape, or form?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

The first three movies were supposed to answer the question of how Anakin the good guy (as described by Alec Guiness in A New Hope) became Vader the bad guy. It didn't answer that question satisfactory to any level of credulity.

Nope.  Totally sucked. 

Could've been great on two premises:  kept Darth Maul around for the series, and actually made Anakin something other than a whiny little emo cutter fuck.

And filming the massacre of all the little Jeditos at the temple would've been cool.

Alas, we were stuck with a teenage romance, with all the drama of 6th period study hall.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2012, 11:35:35 AM
The first three movies were supposed to answer the question of how Anakin the good guy (as described by Alec Guiness in A New Hope) became Vader the bad guy. It didn't answer that question satisfactory to any level of credulity.

Nope.  Totally sucked. 

Could've been great on two premises:  kept Darth Maul around for the series,

I disagree there, Darth Maul had to die. What was he going to do, Kill Qui Gong and then run away when, now, he was only fighting Obi Wan? It's Luke that escapes in the original movies, not darth vader.

and actually made Anakin something other than a whiny little emo cutter fuck.

I can't disagree with that.
And filming the massacre of all the little Jeditos at the temple would've been cool.

Nope, too many kiddies watching. I would rather have seen the jedi temple destroyed when Anakin was trying to save Padmé by saving poor palpatine who was being held by the power mad jedis who wanted to kill her by not letting palpatine save her life. That would have made more sense.

Alas, we were stuck with a teenage romance, with all the drama of 6th period study hall.

Jake Lloyd gets to be a little kid and Hayden Christensen gets to be an emo teen. Why an adult Padme would even think about having junior high hayden christensen schtup her isn't exactly magical.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2012, 12:02:59 PM
I disagree there, Darth Maul had to die. What was he going to do, Kill Qui Gong and then run away when, now, he was only fighting Obi Wan? It's Luke that escapes in the original movies, not darth vader.

Nonsense.
Part of the attraction to Vader is that he had 3 films to develop a true identity of baddie evhulness.
Darth Maul would've been an awesome baddie to continue to develop over time.  Alas, he was a cookie cut-out.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2012, 12:13:33 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2012, 12:02:59 PM

Nonsense.
Part of the attraction to Vader is that he had 3 films to develop a true identity of baddie evhulness.
Darth Maul would've been an awesome baddie to continue to develop over time.  Alas, he was a cookie cut-out.

Aw come on. Vaders baddie evhulness cred is established within 60 seconds of him first appearing on screen. Maul has a full scene of exposition where he is "commanded" to go after our heros.

Viking

BTW

C3PO: Did you hear that? They've shut down the main reactors! We'll be destroyed for sure. This is Madness!
R2D2: Beep Beep Wee-Ooo [Madness? This is Sparta!]