Is Obama a better president than George W. Bush?

Started by Syt, April 09, 2012, 02:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

With well over 3 years of his reign complete, is O so far better than W?

I'm American, and Obama has done better than GWB so far.
25 (43.9%)
I'm American, and Obama has done worse than GWB so far.
5 (8.8%)
I'm American, and Obama has done neither better nor worse than GWB so far.
5 (8.8%)
I'm foreigner, and Obama has done better than GWB so far.
17 (29.8%)
I'm foreigner, and Obama has done worse than GWB so far.
2 (3.5%)
I'm foreigner, and Obama has done neither better nor worse than GWB so far.
3 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Razgovory

What "minority plots" are we talking about garbon?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2012, 07:49:32 PM

Republican minority plots? :huh:

We already had in this thread about how the Tea Party derailed everything. The Republicans didn't even have very much power but somehow because they are so dastardly, they still were able to rule the day with their minority voice. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh I get it. I broke a rule of the left. Minority should only be used when talking about disadvantaged ones (blacks, hispanics, gays, etc). Sorry if I caused confusion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on April 10, 2012, 07:49:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2012, 04:55:34 PM
I don't think anything could have helped that.  Bush could be FDR-come-again and they still hate him.  Their reasoning is often alien and bizarre.  They are convinced that he didn't win the election, that he won only because the SCOTUS stole it for him, that's he's blithering idiot who can't even speak with a teleprompter, that he's a front for the evil Haliburton-lead Dick Cheney.  What can you do with such people?

Seems familiar...  :hmm:

You left out "not a citizen".  Also Dick Cheney actually had an office.  Bush couldn't talk straight with a teleprompter.  I think you need a little work on this, Sparky.  Tidy it up, and try again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2012, 06:28:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 06:23:38 PM
Lefty tears are tasty.

Less tears than exasperated sighs because enough of this bullshit could lead to Hungary being taken more seriously than us.

Righties that should probably have failed basic civics classes in college deserve a swift kick in the nuts for making the rest of us look as retarded and petty as them.

The problem is that you (and many Dems) spend too much time actin superior. The opposition doesn't agree with you, they must be terribly stupid people.  As a general rule, human beings don't respond well to being called ignorant. You can't expect to win their hearts if you're parading around your superiority (with little evidence to back it up, imo).

Yes, that's the problem with dealing with the backlash from Dumbfuckistan:  they have ears.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 07:52:55 PM
Oh I get it. I broke a rule of the left. Minority should only be used when talking about disadvantaged ones (blacks, hispanics, gays, etc). Sorry if I caused confusion.

I don't think you're disadvantaged, Sunshine.  :hug:

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 07:51:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2012, 07:49:32 PM

Republican minority plots? :huh:

We already had in this thread about how the Tea Party derailed everything. The Republicans didn't even have very much power but somehow because they are so dastardly, they still were able to rule the day with their minority voice. :rolleyes:

I had no idea what you were talking about.  And you know damned well how effective a filibuster is.  Don't pretend ignorance of how the system works.

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2012, 07:53:52 PM
I don't think anything could have helped that.  Bush could be FDR-come-again and they still hate him.  Their reasoning is often alien and bizarre.  They are convinced that he didn't win the election, that he won only because the SCOTUS stole it for him, that's he's blithering idiot who can't even speak with a teleprompter, that he's a front for the evil Haliburton-lead Dick Cheney.  What can you do with such people?

You left out "not a citizen".  Also Dick Cheney actually had an office.  Bush couldn't talk straight with a teleprompter.  I think you need a little work on this, Sparky.  Tidy it up, and try again.

:lol:  About what I expected.  You're so cute when you pretend that the partisans in the Bush years weren't all that bad.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2012, 07:55:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 07:52:55 PM

I don't think you're disadvantaged, Sunshine.  :hug:

Well I still can't get the man of my choosing a green card. <_<

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on April 10, 2012, 07:57:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2012, 07:53:52 PM

:lol:  About what I expected.  You're so cute when you pretend that the partisans in the Bush years weren't all that bad.

How exactly are you measuring partisanship here?  Did a Democrat interrupt the State of the Union to call the President a liar during the Bush term?  Or did Democrats stand on the Capitol steps with the GOP counterparts to state how united they were?

Siege

Whoa, I'm surprised how liberal Languish have become in the last few years.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2012, 08:16:20 PM

It's been about the same.  You just moved to the right.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2012, 08:16:20 PM

Most of our Conservatives have built bunkers and are just waiting for the end.

Hey Siege, you hear about that Marine who got in trouble because of the statements he made about Obama on Facebook?

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2012, 06:28:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 06:23:38 PM
Lefty tears are tasty.

Less tears than exasperated sighs because enough of this bullshit could lead to Hungary being taken more seriously than us.

Righties that should probably have failed basic civics classes in college deserve a swift kick in the nuts for making the rest of us look as retarded and petty as them.

The problem is that you (and many Dems) spend too much time actin superior. The opposition doesn't agree with you, they must be terribly stupid people.  As a general rule, human beings don't respond well to being called ignorant. You can't expect to win their hearts if you're parading around your superiority (with little evidence to back it up, imo).
I think you're confusing two different issues.  I'm not trying to convert anyone here, I'm just trying to pinpoint the source of the governance disaster we've lived through lately.  That requires honest assessment.

Do I think that both sides have crazy fringes or illogical beliefs?  Sure.  Do I think that both sides are equally successful at pushing their nuttiness to the mainstream, and letting it drive the political decision-making?  Fuck no.  I may be wrong, but I don't think I am, and in any case I see no point in pretending to be even-handed when I don't think that the blame is even-handed in the least.  That would be dishonest.

That said, if I did have the unenviable task of trying to convert the ugliest of the Tea Partiers, Moral Majoritites, or whatever the fuck they'll call themselves next, of course I would sing a different tune.  I would certainly patronize the people I'm trying to convert, and feign respect for beliefs I find to be beyond the acceptable sane range of honest differences of opinion.  White lies in the name of politeness are a necessity when trying to influence people.

garbon

It is hardly honest though, so I don't really need to wade through the rest of your post.