Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2012, 06:15:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 06:12:49 PM
Did you ever get citizenship DG?
Of course, more than a decade ago.  Kind of dumb to plan to live in the country for the rest of your life without ever getting your citizenship.

My friend's wife still hasn't.  I don't know how old she is, but I think it's pretty close our age.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 06:17:38 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2012, 06:15:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 06:12:49 PM
Did you ever get citizenship DG?
Of course, more than a decade ago.  Kind of dumb to plan to live in the country for the rest of your life without ever getting your citizenship.

My friend's wife still hasn't.  I don't know how old she is, but I think it's pretty close our age.
Doesn't matter how old she is, it matters how long she's been here.  I don't understand people who are here for way more than five years, and still don't care to get citizenship.  There are many ways you can get fucked in a stupid way without it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2012, 06:12:01 PM
And driver's license is a proof of citizenship?  :rolleyes:

Isn't it?  I thought you had to show a birth certificate when you got your first one but it has been 300 years since my first license so I could be wrong.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 06:21:48 PM

Isn't it?  I thought you had to show a birth certificate when you got your first one but it has been 300 years since my first license so I could be wrong.

Nope.  Don't you remember the big stink in the run-up to 2008 over the states that gave DL's out to illegals?

Admiral Yi

Then why the hell are Democrats objecting? :lol:

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 06:21:48 PM

Aren't you forgetting about legal immigrants?  Legal immigrants have a right to get a driver's license everywhere without a controversy, but they don't have the right to vote (until they get naturalized, but that would take years).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2012, 06:30:16 PM
Aren't you forgetting about legal immigrants?  Legal immigrants have a right to get a driver's license everywhere without a controversy, but they don't have the right to vote (until they get naturalized, but that would take years).

Birth certificate, green card, whatever.

Do you remember what you had to show?  I assume you were a Green Carder at the time?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 06:33:14 PM
Birth certificate, green card, whatever.
The point I was getting at is that driver's license is no proof of citizenship, so proof of citizenship cannot be the reason for not accepting university IDs but accepting DLs.

Do you remember what you had to show?  I assume you were a Green Carder at the time?
I don't, and I'm sure the rules have been toughened up anyway since then.

Caliga

I have voted in three states:  Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Kentucky.  In the case of the latter two I was asked to show my driver's license.  I've never not done so and never seen anyone else not comply, so I'm not sure what happens if you don't.  I don't remember how it worked in the case of Pennsylvania.

IMO if you can't be bothered to get a driver's license or a state-issued photo ID (assuming every state issues them... I don't know for sure about this) you probably shouldn't be voting.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

I'm more than happy to show my driver's license in Ohio when voting.  Photo IDs are so difficult and expensive to get, I take pride in being in such an exclusive group.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2012, 07:19:46 PMIMO if you can't be bothered to get a driver's license or a state-issued photo ID (assuming every state issues them... I don't know for sure about this) you probably shouldn't be voting.

Yeah... I guess you'd probably vote for the wrong candidates, eh?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 06:24:09 PM
Then why the hell are Democrats objecting? :lol:

What is it you think the Democrats goals are?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2012, 07:19:46 PM
IMO if you can't be bothered to get a driver's license or a state-issued photo ID (assuming every state issues them... I don't know for sure about this) you probably shouldn't be voting.

I am sure that is the plan...

Maximus

Yes. And provide an ID that is sufficient for the purpose that everyone can get. $5 with a fee waiver if you can show economic hardship. It's not that hard.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on April 04, 2012, 07:52:00 PM
Yes. And provide an ID that is sufficient for the purpose that everyone can get. $5 with a fee waiver if you can show economic hardship. It's not that hard.

It is to get it through the courts.  Charging a fee to vote even if it can waived for those with economic hardship is still unconstitutional.