News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 04:36:28 PM
To get my photo ID I had to take a written test and then another one where I paralleled parked.

When you request the non-driving ID they don't make you do those things.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 04:39:44 PM
What do they make you do?

Show proof of identity and fork over five bucks.

It's been a while since I checked the price, could have gone up.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 04:36:28 PM
To get my photo ID I had to take a written test and then another one where I paralleled parked.

Here you can get a state photo ID from the same place you get drivers licenses, without having to take a driving test.  Pretty sure that's the case in most/all states.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Great, so now Americans have to pay for the right to vote.

Why dont the Republicans bring back property ownership requirements and have done with it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 04:41:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 04:39:44 PM
What do they make you do?

Show proof of identity and fork over five bucks.

It's been a while since I checked the price, could have gone up.

I believe that would make it unconstitutional.  You can't charge people to vote, even in a round about way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2012, 04:44:09 PM
Great, so now Americans have to pay for the right to vote.

Why dont the Republicans bring back property ownership requirements and have done with it.

:lol:  Fly off the handle much?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 04:45:50 PM
I believe that would make it unconstitutional.  You can't charge people to vote, even in a round about way.

You can get a photo ID for free by joining the military. :P

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2012, 04:18:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 04:04:24 PM
It's not as if you have no recourse under these laws if you lack a photo ID.  They still allow the ID-less voter a chance to cast a provisional ballot.  In some cases, they just have to sign an affidavit and you get a regular ballot.

So tell me again why you want voter ID?

On the affidavit issue, there are a number of complications I can see.

First the person has to be able to read the document.  Then they have to understand the document.  Then, if your professional obligations are anything like ours, the person hearing the depondant swearing the affidavit has to satisfy themselves that the person is who they claim to be (usually by taking some form of ID....) and for all that to happen there actually has to be someone at the polling station that can deal with all that.

See any problems with that system or how it might disadvantage some groups and not others?

This.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

I've searched teh intrawebs up and down this afternoon looking for cases of out-of-state students attempting to vote where they're going to school instead of casting absentee ballots for places they have a more vested interest in like, you know, home.

Can't seem to find any.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 02:35:56 PM
I assume citizenship is the basis for rejection of the university ID.
And driver's license is a proof of citizenship?  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 06:12:49 PM
Did you ever get citizenship DG?
Of course, more than a decade ago.  Kind of dumb to plan to live in the country for the rest of your life without ever getting your citizenship.