News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ALBERTA: Provincial Elections!

Started by PRC, April 03, 2012, 01:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the Albertan Provincial Elections? Cast your vote!  (See Below for Party Leader Images & Policy Synopsis)

Alberta Liberal Party
3 (17.6%)
Alberta New Democratic Party
1 (5.9%)
Alberta Party
0 (0%)
Alberta Social Credit Party
0 (0%)
Communist Party - Alberta
3 (17.6%)
Evergreen Party of Alberta
0 (0%)
Separation Party of Alberta
2 (11.8%)
Wildrose Alliance Party
8 (47.1%)
Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2012, 07:56:43 PM
Have there ever been any Injun parties in Canada?

Yes. Never amounted to anything.

So my wife and I went out to vote and promptly cancelled out each others votes. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2012, 07:06:05 PM
What is it with Parliamentary pages and the need to protest?

It's the same one as last time I think.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

So far votes are coming in PCs 44%, Wildrose 39%, which if it held would shape up as a PC majority.  Liberals and NDP in single digits.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2012, 09:47:00 PM
So far votes are coming in PCs 44%, Wildrose 39%, which if it held would shape up as a PC majority.  Liberals and NDP in single digits.
:console: :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

PCs being called as the winners.

This could be a best case scenario, or it could be terrible.  I'm still uneasy about Wildrose - just whether they have the experience to be government.  So now they are the clear second party, this could warn the PCs to straighten up and fly right.

Or...

There's a definite sub-text of strategic voting.  I've heard it myself.  Lots of Liberals voted strategically for the PCs, and the Liberal vote collapsed.  The PCs could now decide to govern from the centre / left.

PRC

Wow, wasn't expecting that outcome.  Could be a best case scenario as you say Beeb.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on April 23, 2012, 05:06:55 PM
Why would Coderre think that a his voice would carry any weight whatsoever in an Alberta election?  If anything, a proper Albertan would conclude that anything that a federal Liberal is against must be a good thing, since that party has been unrelenting in their enmity towards the West and most especially Alberta.
I don't think he thinks that.  But there's been a lot of articles in Quebec newspapers about how bad a Wildrose government in Alberta would have been bad for us.  Coderre is preaching to the choir, he's talking to Quebec leftists: "see, that's what happens when Harper is in power, everyone hates Quebec, we're the only option to protect you from Evil right-wing Alberta now".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2012, 07:16:36 PM
The problem for them is I think Canada has moved beyond that Liberal vision of the country.
one could hope, but I don't think so.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

For the record, I would have liked to see a WR govn't in Alberta, despite the radical social right-wing types.  The economic platform had a lot of nice ideas, and the talk about changing equalization payments appealed to me.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 23, 2012, 11:08:15 PM
For the record, I would have liked to see a WR govn't in Alberta, despite the radical social right-wing types.  The economic platform had a lot of nice ideas, and the talk about changing equalization payments appealed to me.

Equalization is a purely federal formula.  I never heard Wildrose talk about it, nor is it within their jurisdiction.

Josephus

so what do you think happened Beeb? People who said they were going to vote Wildrose changed their minds? Or were formerly Liberal voters scared of Wildrose and voted for the safe "enemy we know"?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grallon

It appears Albertans aren't quite as reactionary as they appear from the outside.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2012, 07:06:50 AM
so what do you think happened Beeb? People who said they were going to vote Wildrose changed their minds? Or were formerly Liberal voters scared of Wildrose and voted for the safe "enemy we know"?

Well, both.  Wildrose was polling higher than they got, so people did reconsider.  But the Liberal vote also dropped substantially - and you have to think that was strategic voting in favour of the PCs.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2012, 07:32:58 AM
Well, both.  Wildrose was polling higher than they got, so people did reconsider.  But the Liberal vote also dropped substantially - and you have to think that was strategic voting in favour of the PCs.
Don't forget the huge undecided vote.

As for Liberal voters, why wouldn't they vote PC?  Redford is a Liberal.  Still, the complete corruption of the PCs seems preferable to the dangerous ideas of the Wildrose.  I just hope that this win doesn't embolden them to become even more corrupt.  Fortunately, Alberta is a strong province and easy to govern.  The oil money means that we can probably afford a term or two of Redford's centre-left policies.

The only thing that makes me sad about this whole thing is the victory for the teachers union.  Even so, in real life the bad guys sometimes win through sneakiness.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2012, 07:47:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2012, 07:32:58 AM
Don't forget the huge undecided vote.

As for Liberal voters, why wouldn't they vote PC?  Redford is a Liberal.  Still, the complete corruption of the PCs seems preferable to the dangerous ideas of the Wildrose.  I just hope that this win doesn't embolden them to become even more corrupt.  Fortunately, Alberta is a strong province and easy to govern.  The oil money means that we can probably afford a term or two of Redford's centre-left policies.

The only thing that makes me sad about this whole thing is the victory for the teachers union.  Even so, in real life the bad guys sometimes win through sneakiness.

Bah - undecided voters are non-voters.