News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ALBERTA: Provincial Elections!

Started by PRC, April 03, 2012, 01:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the Albertan Provincial Elections? Cast your vote!  (See Below for Party Leader Images & Policy Synopsis)

Alberta Liberal Party
3 (17.6%)
Alberta New Democratic Party
1 (5.9%)
Alberta Party
0 (0%)
Alberta Social Credit Party
0 (0%)
Communist Party - Alberta
3 (17.6%)
Evergreen Party of Alberta
0 (0%)
Separation Party of Alberta
2 (11.8%)
Wildrose Alliance Party
8 (47.1%)
Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2012, 03:00:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 02:06:17 PM
So I guess that's who I'll vote for.

You are dead to me.
It doesn't make much sense to vote for the person in a parliamentary system.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on April 20, 2012, 03:27:17 PM

You are dead to me.
It doesn't make much sense to vote for the person in a parliamentary system.

Well, it can in some situations.

Here though I don't really care for either local candidate, so I figure I might as well vote for the party.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 03:26:22 PMWho would you have me vote for, and why?

You didn't ask me, but: someone who doesn't espouse bigotry.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 03:46:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 03:26:22 PMWho would you have me vote for, and why?

You didn't ask me, but: someone who doesn't espouse bigotry.

You don't get to design your perfect candidate.  You have to actually vote for someone.

Plus Redford keeps making me question whether she is actually a conservative.  Latest story I just read: she figured she could work with the Liberals or NDP in a minority government, but not Wildrose.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/albertavotes2012/story/2012/04/20/albertavotes2012-redford-wildrose-minority.html

So who should I vote for?  Here are my options:

Rudy Arcilla Alberta Liberal Party 
Muriel Stanley-Venne Alberta New Democrats 
Bryan Peacock Alberta Party 
Matt Jeneroux Progressive Conservative Party 
Allan Hunsperger Wildrose 

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 03:53:39 PMYou don't get to design your perfect candidate.  You have to actually vote for someone.

Plus Redford keeps making me question whether she is actually a conservative.  Latest story I just read: she figured she could work with the Liberals or NDP in a minority government, but not Wildrose.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/albertavotes2012/story/2012/04/20/albertavotes2012-redford-wildrose-minority.html

So who should I vote for?  Here are my options:

Rudy Arcilla Alberta Liberal Party 
Muriel Stanley-Venne Alberta New Democrats 
Bryan Peacock Alberta Party 
Matt Jeneroux Progressive Conservative Party 
Allan Hunsperger Wildrose

What does the bigot candidate have that the non-bigot candidates do not, beyond the bigotry I mean?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 03:55:32 PM
What does the bigot candidate have that the non-bigot candidates do not, beyond the bigotry I mean?

Here's the party bios of Hunsperger and Jeneroux:

QuoteAllan is one of the pioneers in the establishment of private schools in the late seventies in the Province of Alberta. He is the founder of Heritage Christian Schools which are still operating today after 30 plus years.

He pioneered the changing of the law in Canadian Broadcasting to have radio stations like Shine FM and AM 930 The Light. He is the founder of Touch Canada Broadcasting which today owns and operates five (5) radio stations in Alberta. He left the company in March 2009.

Allan has worked with professional athletes in the CFL and in triple A baseball. He works today with young people training them to become world-changers.

Allan and his wife Cindy of 43 years have two children and three grandchildren. They live in Edmonton since 1994 to the present.

QuoteMatt was born and raised in Edmonton and attended the University of Alberta, graduating with a BA in 2004. Since that time, he has gained several years of experience working with not-for-profit organizations, and has also worked at all levels of government (municipal, provincial and federal). Matt has served in an advisory capacity at the Alberta Legislature with the Minister of Environment and currently works as an Advisor for the Government of Canada with Health Canada. He has extensive public relations, policy and government knowledge which will allow him to bring a distinct perspective to the decision-making table.

Matt also has an extensive record of volunteer service. Starting at the age of 16, Matt worked on his first election campaign for the federal PC party folding envelopes and engaging in the political process. He's also volunteered extensively for organizations including:

Goodwill Industries of Alberta
Alberta Winter Games
United Way
Canadian Blood Services
Make-A-Wish Foundation
City of Edmonton Naming Committee (Chair)
Federal Government Youth Network
Rotary Club of Edmonton (Downtown)
Blackmud Creek Community League
Edmonton-Rutherford PC Association (President)
Edmonton-South West PC Association (VP Policy)

Jacob

So one is a professional Christian evangelist expanding into party politics, and the other is a professional politician?

I'd take the politician. Canadian politics do not need professional evangelists; especially if they're homophobic bigots.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 04:05:25 PM
So one is a professional Christian evangelist expanding into party politics, and the other is a professional politician?

I'd take the politician. Canadian politics do not need professional evangelists; especially if they're homophobic bigots.
One's no worse than the other.

Myself, I wouldn't vote for either of them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2012, 04:31:38 PM

So who are you voting for (since the Neil party didn't quite make it on the ballot)?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 03:26:22 PM

You are dead to me.

Who would you have me vote for, and why?

I would have voted for anyone with a shot to defeat the preacher who thinks he is doing gays a favour by making their life more difficult.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 04:34:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2012, 04:31:38 PM

So who are you voting for (since the Neil party didn't quite make it on the ballot)?
Undecided.  I won't vote for any of your candidates, since I'm in Strathcona.

Honestly, there isn't a single party running a candidate in my riding that isn't fairly abhorrent, to one degree or another.  I'd probably vote SoCred, if they were running a candidate, but as it stands my choice is between the PCs, Wildrose, NDP, Liberals and Evergreens.  At least my choice doesn't matter, since Strathcona is an NDP fortress riding.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Here's a piece that tickled my funnybone.  Fucking hippies lack perspective.

[Tim]
QuoteArts ignored in Alberta election, advocates say
CBC News Posted: Apr 20, 2012 12:02 PM MT

Some Calgary voters say arts and culture issues are getting short shrift in the Alberta election campaign.

Decidedly Jazz Danceworks General Manager Kathi Sundstrom said we should be talking about more than just roads and hospitals when choosing our next government.

"I have been reading the newspaper like a fiend ... everyday and I haven't heard anything from any ... particularly the Wildrose Party, on any statements of culture or the arts," she said.

The topic of arts and culture did pop up during Thursday's political forum hosted by the CBC

But according to Calgary art gallery owner Yves Trépanier, some of the parties don't even include the issues in their platforms, while others only make a brief mention.

"Art and visual arts and culture are equal to health care, education and all the social issues. It helps balance out how we are as a society. You can't have one without the other," he said.

Trépanier said party leaders need to think more about making a trip to the museum as affordable and accessible as a trip to the hospital.
[/Tim]

PRC

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2012, 05:11:47 PM

"I have been reading the newspaper like a fiend ... everyday and I haven't heard anything from any ... particularly the Wildrose Party, on any statements of culture or the arts," she said.

I like that part.  If you haven't heard anything from any of the parties why are you singling out the Wildrose party more than any other party?  They've all said nothing, but the Wildrose party has said nothing a little more quietly?

Neil

Quote from: PRC on April 20, 2012, 05:18:47 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2012, 05:11:47 PM
I like that part.  If you haven't heard anything from any of the parties why are you singling out the Wildrose party more than any other party?  They've all said nothing, but the Wildrose party has said nothing a little more quietly?
Hippies hate the Wildrose, which normally would be enough to get me to vote for them.  However, I can only go so far against my own interests, and the Wildrose is a bridge too far.

Neil

So, it turns out that my local candidate for the Progressive Conservatives is a black man and a trade unionist.  I have the chance to vote for Obama.