News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ALBERTA: Provincial Elections!

Started by PRC, April 03, 2012, 01:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the Albertan Provincial Elections? Cast your vote!  (See Below for Party Leader Images & Policy Synopsis)

Alberta Liberal Party
3 (17.6%)
Alberta New Democratic Party
1 (5.9%)
Alberta Party
0 (0%)
Alberta Social Credit Party
0 (0%)
Communist Party - Alberta
3 (17.6%)
Evergreen Party of Alberta
0 (0%)
Separation Party of Alberta
2 (11.8%)
Wildrose Alliance Party
8 (47.1%)
Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Neil

The CFIB seems to have taken up the language of the US Chamber of Commerce, and is thus not to be trusted.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

I have: decided.

It was a combination of hearing several self-described 'liberals' or 'progressives' describe how they plan on voting PC, and now an endorsement from the one man whose endorsement would matter to me, Preston Manning.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/op-ed/politics/6480559/story.html

I will be voting Wildrose next week.   :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Poor Preston.  I mean, I can see why he did what he did, given that Redford has been shitting all over the Reform/Klein movement's record, but endorsing Wildrose?

Honestly, I think the time has come for me to create a new political party, one that can finally speak for all Albertans and which can govern the province according to principles of public order and justice, rather than falling upon the tired old tactics of bribery, corruption and hare-brained ideology.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Do you guys think that resembling Africa in the creation and extintion of political parties is a good thing or a bad thing?

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 10:05:08 AM
Do you guys think that resembling Africa in the creation and extintion of political parties is a good thing or a bad thing?
Probably a good thing.

Barrister

We're not quite like Africa in that even though we only have a change in government every 20-40 years, those changes of government have been quite peaceful.

And it's worked for Alberta so far.   :)

Admiral Yi

Political parties Beeb, not government.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 10:42:30 AM
Political parties Beeb, not government.

It's quite common-place to say there has been a change in government when a new party takes power.  :huh:

Maximus

I think the regular destruction of political parties is probably essential, certainly beneficial to healthy democracy.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on April 20, 2012, 10:44:10 AM
I think the regular destruction of political parties is probably essential, certainly beneficial to healthy democracy.

I wouldn't go that far.  After all on the Federal scene the Liberals trace themselves right back to Confederation, as do the Conservatives (albeit with a couple of mergers and name changes along the way), and even the NDP has a heritage going back 80 years.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on April 20, 2012, 10:44:10 AM
No.  I think it's for the best that the Tories and Liberals go back a couple hundred years.  Adds character :P
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

The Wild Rose leader has Hans writing her script on climate change. Her party is full of bigots and homophobes.  When she wins the migration from Alberta to this province will further support housing prices here.  Thank you BB and thank you Preston Manning.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2012, 10:59:40 AM
The Wild Rose leader has Hans writing her script on climate change. Her party is full of bigots and homophobes.  When she wins the migration from Alberta to this province will further support housing prices here.  Thank you BB and thank you Preston Manning.

Yeah, wish they'd tale a better stance on climate change than the "science is not yet settled" line.

Totally disagree about the 'bigots and homophobes' line.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2012, 10:59:40 AM
I don't think that the homeless people we'll be putting on buses to Vancouver will do much for your property values.

At any rate, climate change policy simply doesn't matter in Alberta, and every party is full of bigots of various kinds.  One should oppose the Wildrose based on their poor public policy.

Jacob

I think the occasional creation and extinction of political parties is a good thing; competition in the marketplace of ideas and politics is generally healthy. Not sure why you're comparing it to Africa specifically; that seems both strangely specific and strangely broad at the same time.