Trayvon Martin case: use of Stand Your Ground law or pursuit of a black teen?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I guess I never had to deal with any strong father types with any of the girls I dated.  Butted heads with some overbearing mothers, but that's about it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 03:40:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2012, 03:35:45 PM
I fail to see the societal benefit in making it easier for citizens to blow away other citizens.
"Conservatives" :rolleyes:
Believe it or not, allowing the citizenry to slaughter each other in order to create an atmosphere of fear isn't a bedrock principle of conservatism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2012, 05:01:43 PM
How could you stops gangs using this law?

That is what the local DA argued in front of Alaskan legislature on the proposed state law.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on March 22, 2012, 04:43:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 03:40:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2012, 03:35:45 PM
I fail to see the societal benefit in making it easier for citizens to blow away other citizens.
"Conservatives" :rolleyes:
Believe it or not, allowing the citizenry to slaughter each other in order to create an atmosphere of fear isn't a bedrock principle of conservatism.

I don't know;  since this law was passed, homicides ruled as justifiable homicides in the state of Florida have tripled.  So maybe it is.

Razgovory

Quote from: Rasputin on March 22, 2012, 03:05:04 PM

you are mixing metaphors

there is nothing absurd about the law

in any criminal case the state must prove the crime beyond any reasonable doubt

if the prosecuting agencies believe that some piece of evidence will make it difficult to prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt, they have the discretion to not prosecute the case

here there is evidence from which the investigating agency could conclude that a conviction will be very unlikely

ie, a jury could find zimmerman's injuries consistent with self defense and it is unlikely that the jury will hear some of the more attenuated circumstantial evidence (like he called the police dozens of times about suspiscious behavior)

those injuries create reasonable doubt even if it's possible that he was not acting in self defense

the only thing florida law did here was to do away with the common law duty of retreat

back in those days people who were defending themselves from armed robbery were finding themselves in jail for not retreating instead

A law that makes it so hard to prosecute someone for murder that the prosecutors don't even try is  an absurd law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2012, 05:01:43 PM
How could you stops gangs using this law?

Presumably this where the police would use their discretion to actually investigate.  I suppose that's how the system is suppose to work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 04:05:49 PM
I guess I never had to deal with any strong father types with any of the girls I dated.  Butted heads with some overbearing mothers, but that's about it.

I rarely did either.  But then, few girls said yes to me in the first place.

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2012, 06:37:43 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2012, 06:37:05 PM
"Trayvon"?  Guilty. :)

His resumes were automatically thrown into the trash. :yes:
not his fault his parents picked a crappy name*

*I speak from experience :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory