California dreamin' - Tips for a summer trip, plz

Started by The Larch, March 14, 2012, 06:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 17, 2012, 12:14:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2012, 11:39:33 PM
Since our attempts to add a bit more Lebensraum to our borders were kinda frowned upon,

You people never do anything in moderation.

That is the key to the German character IMO, enthusiam. Their Greens are the greenest Greens, their hippies are the hippiest hippies and so on. Europe's tragedy is that when the fashion swung to jackbooted dictatorships they naturally had the "best" jackbooted dictatorship.

Reflecting on this it's a damn shame I only ever had one German girlfriend  :P

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 17, 2012, 05:24:21 PM

Altamont.

Now that you mention it...are there any interesting events taking place in Cali during the month of July? Festivals? Fairs? Concerts?

katmai

Quote from: katmai on March 14, 2012, 04:00:50 PM

Cool, I'm heading east coast for wedding first week of July and as it is such a pain leaving state, trying to get all my travels done that month, and finish with stop in Seattle to catch a Sounders game.

My plan is coming together.

QuoteSounders FC announced Monday that it will host Chelsea FC of the English Premier League in a July 18 friendly at CenturyLink Field.

The Larch

For the record, this is still on the table, but revamped, as the guys I was going to travel with bailed on me and I had to form a new coalition of the willing. My plan is now for the 2nd half of September, spending the first week between LA and SF, and everything in between, and the second week hitting the parks in the interior.

katmai

I was just wondering about this over the weekend.

The Larch

The Larch

Ok, so this is shaping up quite nicely. Here's the prospective schedule:

- Arrival at LA. Couple of days to visit the city.
- Travel up tho coast through Route 1, stopping for a day or two along the way, at Santa Bárbara/Big Sur/SLO/Monterrey Bay.
- Arrival at SF. Another couple of days to visit the city.
- Stopover at Davis for a day.
From here on we'll start the "wilderness" part of the trip. Nothing set on stone, but we have the following plans:
- Visit to Tahoe.
- 2-3 days at Yosemite.
- 1 day at King's Canyon/Sequoia National Forest.
- Trip through Death Valley/Mojave.
- Visit to Joshua Tree/Salton Sea.

Thoughts? Tips? Big no-nos?

Zanza

Why do you stop in Davis? That seems to be a nondescript mid-sized town...