California dreamin' - Tips for a summer trip, plz

Started by The Larch, March 14, 2012, 06:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2012, 12:54:49 PM
Why do you stop in Davis? That seems to be a nondescript mid-sized town...

The friend we're visiting as an excuse for the trip lives there. :P

MadImmortalMan

Drop Davis and do Napa/Santa Rosa. Do wine tasting most of the day, end up at Russian River Brewery in the evening for dinner and awesome 100% real American beer that is not yellow piss water. Bring your Davis friend.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Surely you will want to hit Death Valley *before* you head north?  :huh:

Have you settled on ground transportation yet?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2012, 03:24:30 PM
Surely you will want to hit Death Valley *before* you head north?  :huh:

Have you settled on ground transportation yet?

If he's flying back out from LA, then the way he's got it does sound good actually. He'll get to travel both highways 1 and 395, which are both amazing. 1 up, 395 down.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2012, 03:24:30 PMHave you settled on ground transportation yet?

We're considering renting some kind of campervan instead of the RV, but I don't know if we can get the model we'd like over there. We'll have to scourge the websites of the rental companies.

Ideally we'd pick a VW California (formerly Westphalia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_California) kind of ride but it seems that their availability is limited in the US. What we're mainly looking for would be sleeping space for 4 people (the VW model has two bunk beds) and a built in kitchen.

Also, it's possible that for the 1st week we'd pick a normal car instead of a camper, but it'd depend on the possibility of picking up a camper in SF and dropping it in LA.

The Larch

And it's done! Tickets have been bought, and I'll finally arrive to San Francisco on the 16th of September and will stay around until the 5th of October. It's on, baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1LhWdo91I

Grinning_Colossus

Don't be afraid to use your espaƱol. I've been to a few places where orange juice sells for $3 and jugo de naranja costs $2.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on August 05, 2012, 02:13:01 PM
So what are your plans for all that time now?

Roughly the same, we'll do the same route I outlined earlier, but starting in SF and hitting the natural parks first and LA and the coast afterwards. We'll also have 3 extra days for SF and its area by the end of the route, as we'll have to go there by the 2nd of October to drop off the girl in our group becaue she has to come back to Spain earlier, so the other three of us get that extra time to goof off.

Admiral Yi

While in LA check out the beachside courts in Venice Beach.  White Men Can't Jump territory.

If you and your campaneros decide to get a game, my advice is don't call any fouls.  From my experience of street ball it's a great loss of face to call them.

katmai

Damn seems like just missing you in So Cal. Will be down there. Sep 14-24

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on August 05, 2012, 04:24:52 PM
Damn seems like just missing you in So Cal. Will be down there. Sep 14-24

Not necessarily, we might be around LA for the end of that period. :)

Jaron

katmai-Larch-Jaron meetup? :) (If you guys end up in Salt Lake City)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on August 05, 2012, 10:33:18 PM
katmai-Larch-Jaron meetup? :) (If you guys end up in Salt Lake City)

Sorry I'm not Lettow, squee!