California dreamin' - Tips for a summer trip, plz

Started by The Larch, March 14, 2012, 06:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

So, things are shaping up so that I might spend a couple of weeks in California this summer for leisurely travelling around. Nothing yet set on stone but it'll most probably involve being hq'ed in Davis, between SanFran and Sacramento, and hitting as many spots as possible in the area. There'll be a preference for outdoors kind of stuff, rather than urbanite things, although I guess that visiting LA and SanFran are a given.

Tips are more than welcome. :cheers:

CountDeMoney

Run down Route 1 for a day or two.   You've seen it in the movies a million times, might as well see it for yourself.

You can try to get to Hearst Castle, that's a really cool stop.

Grinning_Colossus

Muir Woods would make a good daytrip from Davis. SF is hard to get a feel for from just a few days, but SFMOMA, Dolores Park (and the Spanish mission nearby), Golden Gate Park, and the Embarcadero are worth it. Alcatraz is nice (you get pretty much free rein on the island), but skippable.

LA is even harder to get a handle on. The LA County Art Museum, Hammer Museum, and the Tar Pits are right next to each other, so go there. Also Venice Beach and Disneyland or something.

Parts of Yosemite and Death Valley are amazing -- try to check out the sailing stones in DV if it's not too remote.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Caliga

Next time I have to go out to Santa Barbara or Irvine I'm probably going to try to spend a day in Los Angeles (and fly into LAX instead of Santa Barbara or Orange County).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

PDH

As Seedy said, take a day and drive down 1 at least to Hearst Castle.  Do the vinyards and see how California viticulture saved French grapes.  See the City (San Francisco) and wonder how you can be so cold in summer when the fog rolls in.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 14, 2012, 06:46:52 AM
Parts of Yosemite and Death Valley are amazing -- try to check out the sailing stones in DV if it's not too remote.

You're suggesting Death Valley in summer? :hmm:

My advice, stay coastal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

I've only been to California once, but from that trip I recommend going to Point Reyes National Seashore (in Marin County, North of SF).  It was a true "the West Coast is actually as amazing as they say it is" moment.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

Agree about the Pismo/SLO area idea. Also, you'll be right on top of Napa. It wouldn't make sense to skip it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 14, 2012, 11:49:54 AM
Agree about the Pismo/SLO area idea.

So absolutely gorgeous there.  My grandparents lived in Arroyo Grande for years, and my aunt and uncle still live in Morro Bay.

The Larch

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 14, 2012, 11:49:54 AM
Agree about the Pismo/SLO area idea. Also, you'll be right on top of Napa. It wouldn't make sense to skip it.

Pismo? SLO?

PDH

Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo, a few hours south of San Francisco along the coast.  Beautiful area.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zanza

A bit north of the Golden Gate Bridge is the Redwood National Park or whatever its name is. Maybe a one-hour drive from the city and definitely worth it to see those gigantic trees. Of course Sequoia NP is even more interesting in that regard.

I second those suggesting Highway #1 along the Pacific.

If you venture further inland, cross the Tioga Pass in Yosemite.

The Larch

Cool, thanks.  :)

Besides Yosemite, what about other National Parks? Redwoods & sequoias anyone?

Edit: Zanza'ed.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on March 14, 2012, 11:57:45 AM
A bit north of the Golden Gate Bridge is the Redwood National Park or whatever its name is. Maybe a one-hour drive from the city and definitely worth it to see those gigantic trees. Of course Sequoia NP is even more interesting in that regard.

There's Muir Woods but that's not quite the same. Redwood National Park is quite a bit further up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.