California dreamin' - Tips for a summer trip, plz

Started by The Larch, March 14, 2012, 06:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

You do understand that travelling in an RV will limit your urban mobility quite a bit, right Larchy?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grinning_Colossus

I'm imaging an RV on Sunset trying to get onto the 405. Don't do that.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2012, 07:03:24 AM
Quote from: katmai on March 15, 2012, 06:09:03 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 14, 2012, 06:04:18 PM

Coolness indeed. When would you be back from the east coast?

Wedding is on 7th of July, i would rather read all of Lettow's posts then stay on East coast in July so probably be in Cali after 10th.

I have tons of friends and family, not to mention need to spend week on training classes for Cinematographers Guild in Burbank, so would be in Cali most of rest of July.

Great, we'll keep in touch then, and maybe you could show us around LA, which seems to be a monster to navigate.

Also, I bow down to your superior knowledge of yanqui car rentals. For how much would a RV for a party of 4-6 people go? It'd be a couple of weeks plus mileage, right? I've seen estimations on the 3000 $ area.

Buddy of mine was the GM of an RV sales/rental place in Whitehorse.  I talked to him about renting an RV once - it seemed just crazy expensive.  We wound up buying a used one privately for only 2-3x what the single rental would have cost.

Rent an RV if you're set on seeing the countryside and a camping-like atmosphere.  And I don't want to disparage RVing - I love my camper trailer and can't wait to get it out again in the spring.  But If you want to see the urban areas forget an RV.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Too true, if just looking for something big enough for 6-7 people can get a large SUV or Pass Van for cheaper than the RV
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

A Boogie Nights custom pedo-van would be perfect for LA.  THOSE ARE GREAT NAMES

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2012, 01:12:20 PM
You do understand that travelling in an RV will limit your urban mobility quite a bit, right Larchy?

Yup, totally aware of that, but as I previously said the main focus of the trip will most probably be outdoorsy stuff, with urban tourism being the exception rather than the rule.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2012, 12:57:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2012, 12:53:47 PM
I'm not sure I understand the point of coming to California if one wasn't planning on driving. :D

No shit.  What movie was it in where the guy from New York was out on a street in downtown LA, bitching about how a city this big could have no taxicabs?

They are probably like Seattle, they -have- taxicabs, it's just that you actually have to call on the phone for them.  :yucky:

PDH

Euro-hippies on Highway 1.  They will fit right in.  Remember, when in an RV on a two lane in California to never go faster than 40mph.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

People in Cruise America RVs are my sworn enemy.  Especially if they are Germans.  :mad:

The Larch

Is there even a stereotype for that?  :lol:

Over here RV tourism is mstly associated with Germans and Dutchies.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 15, 2012, 06:23:02 PM
People in Cruise America RVs are my sworn enemy.  Especially if they are Germans.  :mad:

No shit.  It may be an RV, but they still drive those fuckers like they're on the Ukrainian steppes.  PANZERGRUPPE WINNEBAGO

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2012, 05:11:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2012, 01:12:20 PM

Yup, totally aware of that, but as I previously said the main focus of the trip will most probably be outdoorsy stuff, with urban tourism being the exception rather than the rule.

Yeah but you'll really be limiting yourself all around at the speed you'll be traveling at.  And won't most places require a large fee for your RV?  I know Muir Woods has a cost even for passenger cars.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2012, 04:37:27 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 15, 2012, 06:23:02 PM

No shit.  It may be an RV, but they still drive those fuckers like they're on the Ukrainian steppes.  PANZERGRUPPE WINNEBAGO

I want to attach external speakers to mine and play the Panzerlied now going town the road.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

We get the Russian RV groups here.  The come in, descend on the local Wal-Mart to buy camp stools and coolers, then head to the national/state parks to dump their waste and get trashed.  Much like how they retook the Ukraine in 1943-44.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM