Rush Limbaugh's apology doesn't change anything

Started by garbon, March 05, 2012, 01:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2012, 06:03:15 PM
Why is it not a positive to help ensure the people having children are those who want to have them and raise them? 

Edit: And actually I was not advocating that so much as saying this is why we subsidize that stuff to begin with.  Since I think cheap and dependable birth control is so vital, having the government subsidize it would probably ensure that both come later rather than sooner.

I don't think that's a bad thing. But it is one thing to say we want to make sure that all children are cared and loved for and another to say that we should prevent children from being born because they won't be loved and cared for.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 05, 2012, 07:35:56 PM
For some reason this whole drama has escaped me. Actually I think my time has been better spent on CK2, Dwarf Fortress and Deep Space Nine via Netflix.

When did he say all this stuff anyway?

Just the other week. She testified on the 24th or something like that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

The chick he called a slut kinda reminds me of Winona Ryder.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

I'm not a doctor or anything like that, but is the amount of birth control pills a woman has to take related in any way to the amount of sex they have?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2012, 07:53:39 PM

younger Winona Ryder. :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Maximus on March 05, 2012, 07:57:44 PM
I'm not a doctor or anything like that, but is the amount of birth control pills a woman has to take related in any way to the amount of sex they have?

:D  That's the thing that got me about what he said, I was going to mention it but I was on my phone then forgot by the time I got to a PC.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2012, 04:36:23 PM
She did lead with it, douchy.  When it's in your first 90 seconds, it's a lead.

Let's assume your angle is correct.  How big of an epidemic is it?  Let's run some numbers.   

According to wikipedia,  Polycystic ovarian syndrome affects between 5 and 10% of women of childbearing age.  Split the difference at 7.5%.  Georgetown's law school has a total enrollment of 2,017, 47% of which are women.  That's 948 women.  Assuming 7.5% of them have  Polycystic ovarian syndrome, that's about 71.  Ms. Fluke says 20% (gasp) were denied free birth control pills.  That gives us 14 women who were supposedly denied the free pills.

Was she making that big a deal over 14 people??

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2012, 07:53:39 PM

Yeah, if Winona were a little heftier and looked a bit lesbianish.  And didn't really look that much like Winona.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2012, 08:26:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2012, 04:36:23 PM
She did lead with it, douchy.  When it's in your first 90 seconds, it's a lead.

Let's assume your angle is correct.  How big of an epidemic is it?  Let's run some numbers.   

According to wikipedia,  Polycystic ovarian syndrome affects between 5 and 10% of women of childbearing age.  Split the difference at 7.5%.  Georgetown's law school has a total enrollment of 2,017, 47% of which are women.  That's 948 women.  Assuming 7.5% of them have  Polycystic ovarian syndrome, that's about 71.  Ms. Fluke says 20% (gasp) were denied free birth control pills.  That gives us 14 women who were supposedly denied the free pills.

Was she making that big a deal over 14 people??

That was just an example, you narrow-minded, blinkered philistine.

I hope you have plenty of daughters, so when they require hormonal rebalancing, you can simply give them aspirin bottles.  Trog.

derspiess

I took it to mean that the more sex you have, the more likely you are to "need" the pills-- versus using condoms for less frequent sexual activity.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2012, 08:30:47 PM

I took it to mean that the more sex you have, the more likely you are to "need" the pills-- versus using condoms for less frequent sexual activity.

LOL Please, stop while you're ahead.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2012, 08:27:55 PM
That was just an example, you narrow-minded, blinkered philistine.

I hope you have plenty of daughters, so when they require hormonal rebalancing, you can simply give them aspirin bottles.  Trog.

Just the one, and I'll be able to take care of her without expecting a Jesuit university or others to, but thanks for the concern.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2012, 08:32:26 PM

:lol:

Condoms are 100% effective!

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2012, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2012, 08:32:26 PM

:lol:

Condoms are 100% effective!

Nothing is. 

garbon