Climate Change about to become major issue in Canada

Started by crazy canuck, March 05, 2012, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2012, 03:21:51 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 05, 2012, 03:20:03 PM
'Coche'. 'Carro' and 'caro' don't sound anywhere near the same. 'Carro' has a strong 'r', which most foreigners cannot pronounce.

I did see some ice a couple weeks ago while driving through some mountain passes. Didn't have any hockey equipment handy though.
trust me, to someone who doesn't pseak spanish or portuguese it would sound the same :lol: Carro just has a (more) rolled r.

Emphasis mine ;) It explains a lot about you  :lol:
Foreigners would actually hear a difference but would not be able to pronounce the strong trilled r or even the soft one. :contract:

PDH

Actually, Hans, just like the spread north of the Pinon Pine following the last Ice Age, the spread north of the Pine Beetle is one of those factors showing subtle climate change.  It is the long range that matters here, and it does not really count in 15 year, 20 year, or 50 year spans, but it does show a long term change in climate.

That said, you are safe in that the changes in plants and animals like this does not show human causation, but it does show long term trends in temperatures.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

KRonn

Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2012, 01:10:22 AM
Come to Ontario. We've got our only little global warming going on. Winter hasn't even started yet :lol:
Having a very warm and almost snow free winter here in eastern Massachusetts. It's nice for a change, but I prefer cold so insects and such die off. But last year we had near record snowfall, what I started calling glaciers. It was a damned cold and snowy winter.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 05:14:16 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 06, 2012, 04:30:12 AM
Come to Ontario. We've got our only little global warming going on. Winter hasn't even started yet :lol:

And Europe is going through an ice age this winter.  So WTF is your point?  I hate it when religious nutjobs claim their faith is based on science.  There is no science of global warming, just a bunch of religious cultists with pointless computer models.  They're as annoying as Jehova Witness freaks.

Uh, huh.  Any other conspiracy theories you adhere to?

:yes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 05, 2012, 11:47:57 PM
What is this mythical global warming they are talking about?  There hasn't been any in the last 15 years, nor has there been any abnormal warming trends since the end of the "little ice age".

I have no idea what is causing it, but the creep northwards of species previously found further south is undeniable here in Ontario over the last 20 years.

My father has been an outdoorsman for most of his 75 years and he is very definite about this - for example, he has spotted turkey vultures north of North Bay in Kippawa, where they were previously unknown; plus, I've noticed it myself - like the previously-mentioned surprise of seeing an opossum in Toronto.

Whether this is due to man-made climate change or simply a random fluctuation, I'm unqualified to say. What I can say is that when you see multiple species used to warmer temperatures moving northwards, that is visual proof that there is a reasonably long-term change in temperatures on the average. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on March 06, 2012, 09:09:07 AM
What is this mythical global warming they are talking about?  There hasn't been any in the last 15 years, nor has there been any abnormal warming trends since the end of the "little ice age".

I have no idea what is causing it, but the creep northwards of species previously found further south is undeniable here in Ontario over the last 20 years.

My father has been an outdoorsman for most of his 75 years and he is very definite about this - for example, he has spotted turkey vultures north of North Bay in Kippawa, where they were previously unknown; plus, I've noticed it myself - like the previously-mentioned surprise of seeing an opossum in Toronto.

Whether this is due to man-made climate change or simply a random fluctuation, I'm unqualified to say. What I can say is that when you see multiple species used to warmer temperatures moving northwards, that is visual proof that there is a reasonably long-term change in temperatures on the average.

Same here.  Armadillos now live the Mid Missouri area, they did not two decades ago.  I've only seen them in recent years. 

Also I think the possibility that Europe getting colder is one of the predictions made about Climate change.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

And Europe is going through an ice age this winter.  So WTF is your point?

Is it? We had a very cold week a month ago. The rest of it has been stupidly warm. Ski resorts opened like a month late. Hell I worked out in shorts and T-shirt in January.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on March 06, 2012, 09:19:13 AM
Is it? We had a very cold week a month ago. The rest of it has been stupidly warm. Ski resorts opened like a month late. Hell I worked out in shorts and T-shirt in January.

Were the cops wearing speedos?

Iormlund

Sahib

And Europe is going through an ice age this winter.  So WTF is your point?  I hate it when religious nutjobs claim their faith is based on science.  There is no science of global warming, just a bunch of religious cultists with pointless computer models.  They're as annoying as Jehova Witness freaks.

We (Europe) had abnormal winters last couple of years. No snow in December or even January then a sudden outbreak that can last into what used to be spring months.   
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Hansmeister

Quote from: Malthus on March 06, 2012, 09:09:07 AM

Yes, and in the middle ages Greenland attracted Viking settlers and England's vinyards prospered due to the medieval warming period.  The earth has warmed since the little ice age ended 150 years ago, consistent with natural warming.  Indeed, there is zero evidence that any of the warming has been unnatural.  When there was a short spike in warming during the late 80s and the 90s hysterical greens were jumping on the global warming bandwagon and declared the coming apocalypse based of a very narrow set of data.  Yet now that that very narrow set of data has been superceeded by an equally narrow set of data showing no warming they want to dismiss it while clinging to their now outdated data set.

Given that the fluctuations in temperature show a near perfect correlation with solar activity that would lead a rational human being to conclude that it is the sun that is driving the climate.  Then again the global warming crowd has never been known for rationality or science.

Not to mention global warming is actually a good thing, which much higher upsides than downsides for humanity.

The whole thing was a bizarre religious cult, which has been increasingly discredited due to their rampant dishonesty and fakery.

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on March 05, 2012, 08:28:06 PM
'Coche' would be the usual term in Spain. 'Carro' (from 'carromato' - cart) is used in inferior cultures like Latinamerica. 'Carro' and 'caro' don't sound anywhere near the same. 'Carro' has a strong 'r', which most foreigners cannot pronounce.

I did see some ice a couple weeks ago while driving through some mountain passes. Didn't have any hockey equipment handy though.

I'm kicking your culo when i get to Spain.

Don't Mexicans say "coche"? 

Argentines say "auto".  I get laughed at when I say "coche" down there.  Argies apparently regard that as an old-fashioned, overly formal term.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 06, 2012, 06:08:16 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2012, 03:21:51 PM
'Coche'. 'Carro' and 'caro' don't sound anywhere near the same. 'Carro' has a strong 'r', which most foreigners cannot pronounce.

trust me, to someone who doesn't pseak spanish or portuguese it would sound the same :lol: Carro just has a (more) rolled r.

Emphasis mine ;) It explains a lot about you  :lol:
Foreigners would actually would hear a difference but would not be able to pronounce the strong trilled r or even the soft one. :contract:

:P i pronounce it right. i can roll my r's like the best of them :lol:. why do you hate me so, is it becasue you think i use drivar? :( :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 10:46:27 AM
Quote from: katmai on March 05, 2012, 08:28:06 PM
'Coche' would be the usual term in Spain. 'Carro' (from 'carromato' - cart) is used in inferior cultures like Latinamerica. 'Carro' and 'caro' don't sound anywhere near the same. 'Carro' has a strong 'r', which most foreigners cannot pronounce.

I'm kicking your culo when i get to Spain.

Don't Mexicans say "coche"? 

Argentines say "auto".  I get laughed at when I say "coche" down there.  Argies apparently regard that as an old-fashioned, overly formal term.

Not the ones i know, but of course since we've been In USA for over 100-150 years who knows what the South of the Borderians call it.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Eggplants, spics and wetbacks - other invasive species moving northwards. Some to Toronto, some all the way to Alaska!  Hijacking perfectly good threads with their filthy languages!

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius