Climate Change about to become major issue in Canada

Started by crazy canuck, March 05, 2012, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on March 06, 2012, 11:17:35 AM
Eggplants, spics and wetbacks - other invasive species moving northwards. Some to Toronto, some all the way to Alaska!  Hijacking perfectly good threads with their filthy languages!

:P
you'd have no houses if we didn't move north :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on March 06, 2012, 09:09:07 AM
I have no idea what is causing it, but the creep northwards of species previously found further south is undeniable here in Ontario over the last 20 years.

My father has been an outdoorsman for most of his 75 years and he is very definite about this - for example, he has spotted turkey vultures north of North Bay in Kippawa, where they were previously unknown; plus, I've noticed it myself - like the previously-mentioned surprise of seeing an opossum in Toronto.

Whether this is due to man-made climate change or simply a random fluctuation, I'm unqualified to say. What I can say is that when you see multiple species used to warmer temperatures moving northwards, that is visual proof that there is a reasonably long-term change in temperatures on the average.
This seems to be widespread. Skunks and raccoons first made their appearances in the area I grew up in about 15 years ago.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 06, 2012, 10:08:38 AM
Given that the fluctuations in temperature show a near perfect correlation with solar activity that would lead a rational human being to conclude that it is the sun that is driving the climate.  Then again the global warming crowd has never been known for rationality or science.

You should advise your disinformation network to update their arguments.

QuoteWe reexamine observational evidence presented in support of the hypothesis of a sun-climate complexity linking by N. Scafetta and B. J. West, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90 248701 (2003), which contended that the integrated solar flare index (SFI) and the global temperature anomaly (GTA) both follow Lévy walk statistics with the same waiting-time exponent μ≈2.1. However, their analysis does not account for trends in the signal, cannot deal correctly with infinite variance processes (Lévy flights), and suffers from considering only the second moment. Our analysis shows that properly detrended, the integrated SFI is well described as a Lévy flight, and the integrated GTA as a persistent fractional Brownian motion. These very different stochastic properties of the solar and climate records do not support the hypothesis of a sun-climate complexity linking.

http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v104/i12/e128501

Lots of big scientific words there Hans.  But in short, the early study finding a correlation was flawed and drew incorrect conclusions.

The Brain

Lots of brown people have wandered up here the past decades. Some of them seem to nest and breed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

One thing that Hans is correct about is that there is no evidence whatsoever that climate change is caused by anything unnatural.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on March 06, 2012, 01:11:55 PM
One thing that Hans is correct about is that there is no evidence whatsoever that climate change is caused by anything unnatural.

Especially if you consider human activity natural.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2012, 11:00:00 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 06, 2012, 06:08:16 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2012, 03:21:51 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 05, 2012, 03:20:03 PM
'Coche'. 'Carro' and 'caro' don't sound anywhere near the same. 'Carro' has a strong 'r', which most foreigners cannot pronounce.

I did see some ice a couple weeks ago while driving through some mountain passes. Didn't have any hockey equipment handy though.
trust me, to someone who doesn't pseak spanish or portuguese it would sound the same :lol: Carro just has a (more) rolled r.

Emphasis mine ;) It explains a lot about you  :lol:
Foreigners would actually hear a difference but would not be able to pronounce the strong trilled r or even the soft one. :contract:

:P i pronounce it right. i can roll my r's like the best of them :lol:. why do you hate me so, is it becasue you think i use drivar? :( :P

Yes.

viper37

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 05, 2012, 11:47:57 PM
What is this mythical global warming they are talking about?  There hasn't been any in the last 15 years, nor has there been any abnormal warming trends since the end of the "little ice age".
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 06, 2012, 01:46:31 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2012, 11:00:00 AM
:P i pronounce it right. i can roll my r's like the best of them :lol:. why do you hate me so, is it becasue you think i use drivar? :( :P

Yes.
but i don't! :weep: Actually, if you heard me i apparently have a weird mixture of a Lisbon accent with a nazarean one (the one south of leiria, not in Israel :lol: ) . Some Azorean pronunciation is thrown in there, but not their actual words (ie no drivar, no parkar, etc.)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on March 06, 2012, 09:09:07 AM

I have no idea what is causing it, but the creep northwards of species previously found further south is undeniable here in Ontario over the last 20 years.

My father has been an outdoorsman for most of his 75 years and he is very definite about this - for example, he has spotted turkey vultures north of North Bay in Kippawa, where they were previously unknown; plus, I've noticed it myself - like the previously-mentioned surprise of seeing an opossum in Toronto.

Whether this is due to man-made climate change or simply a random fluctuation, I'm unqualified to say. What I can say is that when you see multiple species used to warmer temperatures moving northwards, that is visual proof that there is a reasonably long-term change in temperatures on the average.

Sadly, I think the major new wildlife we got in Massachusetts over the last 20-30 years is the coyote. And that isn't likely due to any warming, more likely a natural move by the critters as more of them proliferate elsewhere and have to move on.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2012, 12:21:48 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 06, 2012, 10:08:38 AM
Given that the fluctuations in temperature show a near perfect correlation with solar activity that would lead a rational human being to conclude that it is the sun that is driving the climate.  Then again the global warming crowd has never been known for rationality or science.

You should advise your disinformation network to update their arguments.

QuoteWe reexamine observational evidence presented in support of the hypothesis of a sun-climate complexity linking by N. Scafetta and B. J. West, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90 248701 (2003), which contended that the integrated solar flare index (SFI) and the global temperature anomaly (GTA) both follow Lévy walk statistics with the same waiting-time exponent μ≈2.1. However, their analysis does not account for trends in the signal, cannot deal correctly with infinite variance processes (Lévy flights), and suffers from considering only the second moment. Our analysis shows that properly detrended, the integrated SFI is well described as a Lévy flight, and the integrated GTA as a persistent fractional Brownian motion. These very different stochastic properties of the solar and climate records do not support the hypothesis of a sun-climate complexity linking.

http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v104/i12/e128501

Lots of big scientific words there Hans.  But in short, the early study finding a correlation was flawed and drew incorrect conclusions.

You can't disprove one science with more science!  That's like cheating.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2012, 01:50:16 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 05, 2012, 11:47:57 PM
What is this mythical global warming they are talking about?  There hasn't been any in the last 15 years, nor has there been any abnormal warming trends since the end of the "little ice age".
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."

Yes...but who is doing the lying? :hmm:

And actually truth is not that big of a mortal enemy because it gets lost in all the background noise.

Anyway I am not really clear if Hans is saying 'yes there is climate change but it is natural and good' or 'no there is no significant climate change at all'.  I think he is saying the later but even if it was it would be natural and a good thing or something like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2012, 02:49:10 PM
or 'no there is no significant climate change at all'. 
I think he is saying the later but even if it was it would be natural and a good thing or something like that.
I keep hearing the same argument from so-called right-wingers.  They truly believe there's been no warming since the last 10-15 years (it changes depending on whom you talk to).  Someone said so without real evidence, and now they believe it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Well clearly it's the extremely organized cabal of scientists around the world who are lying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

There you have it. The sun has nothing to do with our climate.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers