Climate Change about to become major issue in Canada

Started by crazy canuck, March 05, 2012, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2012, 03:22:01 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2012, 03:18:04 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2012, 02:50:10 PM
It is true we have had a succession of extremely mild winters. But that could be merely random variation
what i've notice about this winter is that even when it's not really cold as compared to previous years (say like today's minus 20 with windchill) if feels a hell of a lot colder then it should.

Perception of coldness is at least partly subjective and based on the perceived norm. A really cold day in a mild winter feels a lot colder than the same cold day in a winter filled with them.

It also has to do with humidity.  A -20 day up in the interior mountains doesnt seem so cold to me.  But a -8 day here on the coast chills me to the bone.  Mind you I have not experienced a -8 day at sea level for years.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2012, 04:22:43 PM
It is true we have had a succession of extremely mild winters. But that could be merely random variation.

Of greater concern is the fact, noted by my dad among others, that southern species of animals are moving north - this indicates that long-term change has been noticable in one lifetime.

I thought the fear of losing outdoor rinks was a bit comical.  But you are right, there are much more serious issues.

One need only look at the pine beetle.  Every year the winter cold killed them off so they were not a problem.  Then things warmed up over time and the beetles lived through the winters and began killing trees. Now most Northern mill towns have no supply of timber left after the beetle killed all the pine trees.

Soon those towns will have no economy at all as the last of the salvageable deadwood is coming to an end.

Engineer a plague.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

It is true we have had a succession of extremely mild winters. But that could be merely random variation.

Of greater concern is the fact, noted by my dad among others, that southern species of animals are moving north - this indicates that long-term change has been noticable in one lifetime.

I thought the fear of losing outdoor rinks was a bit comical.  But you are right, there are much more serious issues.

One need only look at the pine beetle.  Every year the winter cold killed them off so they were not a problem.  Then things warmed up over time and the beetles lived through the winters and began killing trees. Now most Northern mill towns have no supply of timber left after the beetle killed all the pine trees.

Soon those towns will have no economy at all as the last of the salvageable deadwood is coming to an end.

On the more humerous side, my wife saw an opossum crossing the street in Toronto for the first time a couple of years ago, and thought it was some sort of gigantic rat.  :D

[Their range is moving north and so they have started to be seen for the first time as far north as Toronto] 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on March 05, 2012, 04:30:45 PM
Engineer a plague.

Actually, that was tried.  In the early years people were not too concerned about the fist signs of die off because it was assumed something could be created to kill the critters off.  But nothing worked very well.  It turned out the only reliable thing that could kill them was the cold and well we didnt have enough of that.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

But won't it be interesting for us to see how the pine beetle is eventually brought under control?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2012, 05:23:59 PM
But won't it be interesting for us to see how the pine beetle is eventually brought under control?

You mean now that their food source has been killed off.  Yeah, that is going to be great.

katmai

Quote from: Iormlund on March 05, 2012, 03:20:03 PM
'Coche' would be the usual term in Spain. 'Carro' (from 'carromato' - cart) is used in inferior cultures like Latinamerica. 'Carro' and 'caro' don't sound anywhere near the same. 'Carro' has a strong 'r', which most foreigners cannot pronounce.

I did see some ice a couple weeks ago while driving through some mountain passes. Didn't have any hockey equipment handy though.

I'm kicking your culo when i get to Spain.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2012, 05:27:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2012, 05:23:59 PM

You mean now that their food source has been killed off.  Yeah, that is going to be great.
And that's when the forests come back.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Learn something new every day.  I am not aware that there is such a thing as outdoor rinks.  I have always assumed that all ice hockey is played indoors. 

Hansmeister

What is this mythical global warming they are talking about?  There hasn't been any in the last 15 years, nor has there been any abnormal warming trends since the end of the "little ice age".

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

HVC

Come to Ontario. We've got our only little global warming going on. Winter hasn't even started yet :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Hansmeister

Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2012, 01:10:22 AM
Come to Ontario. We've got our only little global warming going on. Winter hasn't even started yet :lol:

And Europe is going through an ice age this winter.  So WTF is your point?  I hate it when religious nutjobs claim their faith is based on science.  There is no science of global warming, just a bunch of religious cultists with pointless computer models.  They're as annoying as Jehova Witness freaks.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 06, 2012, 04:30:12 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2012, 01:10:22 AM

And Europe is going through an ice age this winter.  So WTF is your point?  I hate it when religious nutjobs claim their faith is based on science.  There is no science of global warming, just a bunch of religious cultists with pointless computer models.  They're as annoying as Jehova Witness freaks.

Uh, huh.  Any other conspiracy theories you adhere to?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017