News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chicago hot dog

Started by Caliga, February 29, 2012, 08:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 04, 2012, 01:05:56 PM
About the only place I will ever order a hot dog is a baseball game, but I think that's mostly some psychological nostalgia coming to the fore there.

As much (deserved) hate as hot dogs get, kosher all beef hot dogs actually aren't bad.

My cookouts always feature a ton of brats and Italian sausages. Growing up spending much of my early years in Europe and having a German mother I came to appreciate sausages with a bit more heft/substance (I thought about it and there is absolutely no way to say that without setting yourself up for a penis joke.) I remember in the early 90s when I'd go to cookouts in VA people would look at me like I landed from a different planet when I put some brats on the grill.

People on the east coast have gotten a little more used to brats now, but it's still almost like a foreign food. Ohio is a real shit hole of a State but they do at least have a good appreciation for brats, italian sausage, kielbasa and etc that is sadly still lacking further east.

Brats are an absolute necessity. Doesn't matter what I'm grilling, there will be the odd bratwurst or six on there as well just to have later. Does seem to be an Ohio-Wisconsinish thing, though it's spreading a bit now--especially through the Johnsonville company's marketing. In upstate NY it was white hots, which are a sort of variant of weisswurst. Also quite good.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

You'll usually find them at cookouts down here, too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2012, 05:57:59 PM
PRC's hot dog is one wierd hot dog.

I do two basic set ups.  Sauerkraut and mustard, possibly some raw onion, OR chili and cheese, possibly some raw onion.
I always use the raw onion, but otherwise agree.  Sweet stuff like relish and catsup ruin the hot dog for me.

I do prefer grilled to boiled, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Had chicken vesuvio at Harry Caray's.  VICKEN CHISUVIO, HOLY COW!

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 04, 2012, 01:05:56 PM
My cookouts always feature a ton of brats and Italian sausages. Growing up spending much of my early years in Europe and having a German mother I came to appreciate sausages with a bit more heft/substance (I thought about it and there is absolutely no way to say that without setting yourself up for a penis joke.) I remember in the early 90s when I'd go to cookouts in VA people would look at me like I landed from a different planet when I put some brats on the grill.

People on the east coast have gotten a little more used to brats now, but it's still almost like a foreign food. Ohio is a real shit hole of a State but they do at least have a good appreciation for brats, italian sausage, kielbasa and etc that is sadly still lacking further east.

I've never been a big fan of using alcohol with cooking--other than steaming crabs with Schlitz, Artie Donovan-style--but I do love prepping brats for a cookout by punching some holes in them and letting them marinate in Guinness Stout for about 4 hours.  Dear God, they're so good that way.

Syt

There's not a chili I make that doesn't have a can of beer in it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

citizen k

Quote from: Syt on March 09, 2012, 10:55:10 AM

For me, it's beef stew. I'll use any combination of dark ale/ stout and red wine.  :yeah:

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2012, 07:14:36 AM
I've never been a big fan of using alcohol with cooking--other than steaming crabs with Schlitz, Artie Donovan-style--but I do love prepping brats for a cookout by punching some holes in them and letting them marinate in Guinness Stout for about 4 hours.  Dear God, they're so good that way.

I have a recipe for cooking a pork roast in the crockpot that calls for red wine and onion soup mix, among other things. Fucking killer.
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

I also had an Italian beef, again at Harry Caray's (my boss is obsessed with that place, it seems  :hmm: ).  Decent sammich, but cheesesteaks are way better.

On Monday I'm going to beat my admin for forgetting to get me business class tickets... I had to stand in the 'general' security line with all the scum at Midway last night and it took like 45 minutes to clear security. :weep:  When I got to the checkpoint some dumb bitch's shoes fell into the tub with my laptop and consequently the security lady bitched at me because "YOU DID NOT FOLLOW PROPAH PROCEDUH". :wacko:

Caliga

I also discovered that one of the people up in Chicago who annoys me all the time is an Asian chick with big boobs. :)  I was kind of berating her for something and she broke into the whole "me so solly" thing.  No "me love you long time" though. :(

Fireblade

Quote from: Syt on March 09, 2012, 10:55:10 AM

I'm willing to bet you're the only European who makes chili.

The Brain

Is there a tradition around what happens to the guest who gets the choker in his chilli?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Had another half-day meeting with my friends at Bain Consulting today (this one in Louisville).  I kind of like their strategy of filling every available seat with young attractive females who spend the entire meeting saying nothing and flipping/fiddling with their fake blonde hair.  That seems worth the $95,000 a month we've been paying them. :)

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Caliga on March 10, 2012, 06:21:51 AM
I also discovered that one of the people up in Chicago who annoys me all the time is an Asian chick with big boobs. :)  I was kind of berating her for something and she broke into the whole "me so solly" thing.  No "me love you long time" though. :(

Big boobs on Asians are always nice, I think because it's such a surprise.