And we're back!

Main Menu

Chicago hot dog

Started by Caliga, February 29, 2012, 08:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: fahdiz on March 02, 2012, 05:51:13 PM
How did I miss this thread?

The Chicago dog is the pinnacle of the hot dog experience, much like Chicago is the pinnacle of the Midwest.
So help a nigga out re: where to get a good one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

IIRC the default answers are Portillo's and Hot Doug's.

Not hot dogs, but might I recommend: Al's Beef. Italian beef sandwich with giardiniera. Do it. Portillo's has them too, actually.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

My boss keeps telling me to go to Harry Caray's, but isn't that just a (overpriced) steakhouse?

ulmont

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2012, 06:50:30 PM

Not hot dogs, but might I recommend: Al's Beef. Italian beef sandwich with giardiniera. Do it. Portillo's has them too, actually.
Italian beef is on the "need to try" list also. :)

fhdz

Not hot dogs, but might I recommend: Al's Beef. Italian beef sandwich with giardiniera. Do it.

Yep, those are incredible.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on March 02, 2012, 06:44:46 PM
So help a nigga out re: where to get a good one.

As mentioned: Hot Doug's and Portillo's. Also for one that gets crazy on the toppings, try Murphy's Red Hots.
and the horse you rode in on

citizen k

Quote from: Caliga on March 02, 2012, 07:19:08 PM

Italian beef is on the "need to try" list also. :)

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2008/09/chicago-eats-pa.htm
l

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/02/als-1-beef.html

DontSayBanana

PRC's hot dog sounds downright disgusting to me.  I never, ever, ever put cheese on a hot dog.  For me, it has to be a chicago dog, a chili dog (NOT a chili-cheese dog), or just mustard.
Experience bij!

Zoupa

I love how you Yanks debate the various merits of totally shit food. ZOMG CHICAGO HOT DOGS ARE SOOOO GOOD!

No, they are not. Grow the hell up, America.

:foodsnob:

Syt

The first time I ordered a hot dog at a Vienna sausage stand I was kind of surprised.

The guy took a long bread roll, cut off one end, then spiked it (to kinda hollow it out). He then put the grilled sausage of my choice (e.g. Käsekrainer - a variety with cheese bits inside) into the roll, asked for my condiment (ketchup, sweet or spicy mustard), squirted it inside the roll, and rearranged the cut off tip on top. Which creates something like this:

The use of different bread (it's more baguette-like) and full-sized, grilled bratwursts make this pretty much a full meal.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

Quote from: Syt on March 03, 2012, 12:33:05 AM
The first time I ordered a hot dog at a Vienna sausage stand I was kind of surprised.

The guy took a long bread roll, cut off one end, then spiked it (to kinda hollow it out). He then put the grilled sausage of my choice (e.g. Käsekrainer - a variety with cheese bits inside) into the roll, asked for my condiment (ketchup, sweet or spicy mustard), squirted it inside the roll, and rearranged the cut off tip on top. Which creates something like this:

The use of different bread (it's more baguette-like) and full-sized, grilled bratwursts make this pretty much a full meal.

I ate those every day for 2 months in Prague in 1994... you could get a bunch of them for under a dollar along with a couple 60 cent pints and it was my daily bread.

sbr

Thanks for your input but this is an American thread.

Zoupa

citizen k

Quote from: sbr on March 03, 2012, 01:02:57 AM
Thanks for your input but this is an American thread.

To be fair, the Europeans were the inspiration for the American hot dog.

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2008/10/hot-dog-part-2.html