News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect 3

Started by Scipio, February 18, 2012, 07:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Anyway, might be spoilerish, in a way... but...

[spoiler]
a type of ending I'd hate is a 'rosy' good ending.  It had to end the way it did.  I just can't see Sheppard retiring and having a drink at a bar with his friends, as if nothing ever happenned.  Earth is destroyed, lots of good people are dead, already.  It just ain't true you can survive a bullet wound by emptying the powder of your cartridge and setting it on fire :P
Sometimes, victory tastes as bad as defeat.[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Faeelin

[spoiler]You can have a tragic ending, or a bittersweet ending, and it be meaningful. Dragon Age ended with your character committing suicide or sending someone else to do it, but the ending was great. Having an AI show up and say "hi, I was manipulating all of this, press a button for magic energy rays" is not really tragic. It's... dumb.[/spoiler]

Queequeg

Why did people stop using spoiler tags?  I wanted to ask questions about the game but now I can't even look at the thread.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2012, 08:17:24 PM
Why did people stop using spoiler tags?  I wanted to ask questions about the game but now I can't even look at the thread.

Viper got tired of them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

What do you mean, people?

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on March 13, 2012, 08:57:06 PM

What do you mean, people?
I just started glancing the moment Viper announced he was forgoing them.  I've spoiled the endings of enough games already.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Quote from: Faeelin on March 13, 2012, 05:29:42 PM
[spoiler]Having an AI show up and say "hi, I was manipulating all of this, press a button for magic energy rays" is not really tragic. It's... dumb.[/spoiler]

What did Harbinger kept saying in ME2?  "That which you know as Reapers are your salvation through destruction."
Given the existing lore, it is kinda expected that something like that will happen.

[spoiler]
From the first mission on Mars, we know there's a weapon to destroy the Reapers.  I tended to assume it would be something like that (albeit not with the Citadel), a super weapon destroying all Reapers at once in the galaxy.  You should have stopped playing right there ;)   

All along the game, Hacket and Anderson keep saying the Reapers can't be defeated by conventional weapons, the Crucible is the only option.

It might have been a soundwave, but it's easier to see some energy beam like that, I suppose.

I agree the ending feels a bit rushed, but I disagree with those on Bioware's forum who want a "good" ending where Sheppard and everyone survives the fight and join together and have some beers at the local pub (miraculously left intact ;) )
[/spoiler]

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2012, 10:14:46 PM
I just started glancing the moment Viper announced he was forgoing them.  I've spoiled the endings of enough games already.
I've re-added the tags.  Most of the stuff was from ME1&2 anyway.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 08:20:24 PM

Viper got tired of them.
We should have a thread with spoilers, and another with no spoilers.  I think it gets annoying to everyone all those black bars.  Or maybe it's just me.

PRC

I like the black bars...

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Scipio on March 13, 2012, 04:42:25 PM
and that the Reapers have only shown up twice. 

iirc, in mass effect 2 there a text bit on one of the planets that refers to a Reaper-invasion some million years ago. So there's at least 3 :p

Scipio

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 14, 2012, 03:20:22 AM

iirc, in mass effect 2 there a text bit on one of the planets that refers to a Reaper-invasion some million years ago. So there's at least 3 :p
Could have been planted.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Tamas

Quote from: Scipio on March 14, 2012, 07:18:13 AM

Could have been planted.

:rolleyes:

Tamas

[spoiler]While I have not come to like the ending one bit - altough it is pretty cool right until the point you start talking to Jesus Child - I am starting to think it has been a middle ground. The writers probably didn't want a rosy ending, and they also didn't want a total failure ending either. I would have preferred an ending where the galactic "society" you decisively shaped during the games, especially the third one, survive even without Sepherd, but I think the feasible solutions for the writers were fairly limited[/spoiler]

Scipio

Quote from: Tamas on March 14, 2012, 07:21:34 AM
Quote from: Scipio on March 14, 2012, 07:18:13 AM

Could have been planted.

:rolleyes:
Deceiver god.  It's Occam's Razor.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt