News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Jack Kemp

Started by Tonitrus, May 03, 2009, 03:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

QuoteWASHINGTON (CNN)  -- Former congressman and Republican vice presidential candidate Jack Kemp died Saturday at age 73 after a battle with cancer, his family announced.
Kemp was Bob Dole's running mate on the Republican ticket in the 1996 presidential election.

A onetime professional football player, Kemp served nine terms in Congress as a representative from New York and was former Sen. Bob Dole's running mate in 1996. He was a leading advocate of "supply-side" tax cuts, advancing the argument that cutting taxes would boost economic growth and yield more revenue for the federal government.

"The only way to oppose a bad idea is to replace it with a good idea, and I like to think that I have spent my life trying to promote good ideas," he told CNN in a 1996 interview.

Kemp "passed peacefully into the presence of the Lord" Sunday evening, a family statement said. He disclosed his illness in January.

"During the treatment of his cancer, Jack expressed his gratitude for the thoughts and prayers of so many friends, a gratitude which the Kemp family shares," the family said.

Kemp quarterbacked the Buffalo Bills to back-to-back American Football League championships in 1964 and 1965, before the merger that created the modern NFL. When he retired in 1970 after 13 seasons, the California native ran for Congress and represented the Buffalo area for 18 years in the House of Representatives. Photo View photos of Jack Kemp's life »

"He championed free-market principles that improved the lives of millions of Americans and helped unleash an entrepreneurial spirit that all of us still benefit from today," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said in a statement issued late Saturday.

The 1981 tax cuts signed into law by Ronald Reagan, which cut marginal tax rates from 70 percent to 50 percent, bore Kemp's name as a co-sponsor. Critics mocked the policy as "trickle-down" economics and pointed to the decade's growing budget deficits as evidence that supply-side theories didn't work, but it has been GOP orthodoxy ever since.
advertisement

Kemp mounted an unsuccessful presidential bid in 1988, losing the Republican primaries to George H.W. Bush. But once in office, Bush made Kemp his secretary of housing and urban development -- a post Kemp used to promote what he called an "empowerment" agenda of tax breaks for urban businesses and expanded home ownership.

Unlike many of the other conservatives of his era, Kemp actively courted African-American support. In 1992, he told CNN's "Larry King Live" that the GOP "could be a Lincoln party in terms of attracting black and brown and men and women of color and low-income status and immigrant status who want a shot at the American dream for their children."

katmai

Marcin,

Feel free to start another thread.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on May 03, 2009, 03:48:14 AM
Marcin,

There is a double standard on this board. Not all RIP threads are treated like this.

Syt

Double standards on Languish? NO WAY! :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2009, 03:52:30 AM
Marcin,

There is a double standard on this board. Not all RIP threads are treated like this.

Yeah there sure is to some extent.

It's been a long standing policy since 1.0 version of Languish that if you want to bash someone start another thread and not to comment in RIP thread.*

If you have problems with the late Mr. Kemp please tell us all in your own thread.

Sophie Scholl

It'll be ok... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7p4mioawIA
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on May 03, 2009, 03:55:33 AM
Marcin,

Yeah there sure is to some extent.

It's been a long standing policy since 1.0 version of Languish that if you want to bash someone start another thread and not to comment in RIP thread.*

If you have problems with the late Mr. Kemp please tell us all in your own thread.
I haven't seen you being so touchy in the RIP Uday Hussein thread.

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2009, 03:57:00 AM

I haven't seen you being so touchy in the RIP Uday Hussein thread.

:lol:

yeah Jack Kemp =Uday Hussein

I see you still fail at comparisons.

Martinus

Ok I will try to be more sensitive.

I hope he didn't have a colon cancer, because otherwise it would hurt like a bitch when he gets sodomized by the devil in hell. And I hope it's not just about sex, but they form a mature relationship based on mutual understanding. :)

How's that?

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2009, 04:05:00 AM
Ok I will try to be more sensitive.

I hope he didn't have a colon cancer, because otherwise it would hurt like a bitch when he gets sodomized by the devil in hell. And I hope it's not just about sex, but they form a mature relationship based on mutual understanding. :)

How's that?

I see your Momma never taught you how to just keep quiet if you have nothing good to say at all about a person.. Ah well.

Razgovory

Jack Kemp dies yet Marty is still at large.  Where is the justice in that?

Who'd of thought Kemp would have died before Dole?  Maybe McCain will out live Palin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Didn't like Kemp's policies, but liked him a lot as a person.  He believed in what he said believed in.

RIP.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2009, 09:41:50 PM
Didn't like Kemp's policies, but liked him a lot as a person.  He believed in what he said believed in.

RIP.

Ditto, for the most part.  He was a good guy-- the fact that Marty hates him raises him another couple notches in my book.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

I'd say sorry to hear about his degree of homophobia (maybe not right term, but after seeing some of the bills he supported sounds most apropo), but also know he was big on immigration reform and the past need for affirmative action programs.

Martinus

Well, one of his famous quotes was: "While I believe in civil liberties for homosexuals, I guess I'd have to say I'd draw the line at letting them teach in schools."

What civil liberties did he believe in then? Not putting homosexuals in death camps? Must be a moderate!

He was a homophobic scum, who himself was rumored to suck dick when he wasn't fighting against basic rights of gay Americans or against rights of HIV-positive patients (while he opposed any funding for HIV research or any legal protections for HIV+ people against discrimination etc., he actually supported a bill requiring mandatory testing for HIV, with the results being public). He was an evil man.