Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Besides, the dimensions on the SS of the KISS logo are different. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 02:10:46 PM
Because it isn't a trap at all, in fact it proves exactly my point.

If I saw some Marines using a swastika, I would be quite certain they were doing so because a swastika cannot have any other context than Nazis for them. I rather specifically stated that if someone else were using one, I could be convinced that they were doing so in some other context. Hence the *context* of the use and who is using it and for what is what determines whether or not I would feel offended by their use of it.

Rather than this demand that in this case, no matter what the context, we MUST be offended.

The dominant meaning of a swastika now is one that is offensive.  It isn't that we must be offended about everything but look critically at those who appear not to be making critical decisions about what they expose to the world.  After all, even if the group was using the swastika for an entirely different reason, you do need to think about what message your usage sends to the world.  Simply because you want to use a symbol for another purpose doesn't mean that you shouldn't have to consider what message your are sending and how others might perceive it.  That's pretty much the definition of being a decent person - how will your choice and actions affect others.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 02:20:11 PM

Raz, just stop. I am not going to respond to your juvenile attacks, so just stop. I know you are going through some tough times, but the constant personal crap is getting tiresome.
'

These aren't just mine.  Nobody here is agreeing with you except some unknown lurker.  Your statements aren't making sense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 02:27:54 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 02:22:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 12:20:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:13:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:09:06 PM
I dont think anyone here said they used it to pay homage to the Waffen-SS.

Valmy did.
He did
I stand ereceted.

So what is your idea here?  Nobody would use the Fasces of the Italian Blackshirts (well besides Italian soccer fans) because they sucked.  They are using the symbol of the dudes who were badass for a reason: they want to look badass.  What else would it but a homage?

They chose it because it looks cool. That is all. Not homage to the SS

I still don't understand why this seems so hard to believe.

I think they chose it for the exact same reason the SS chose it - because lightning bolt S's look cool.

Unfortunately Berkut the evil wicked SS used it before these Marines. The SS demonized it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

I think they chose it for the exact same reason the SS chose it - because lightning bolt S's look cool.

It's not a lighting bolt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2012, 02:31:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 02:10:46 PM
Because it isn't a trap at all, in fact it proves exactly my point.

If I saw some Marines using a swastika, I would be quite certain they were doing so because a swastika cannot have any other context than Nazis for them. I rather specifically stated that if someone else were using one, I could be convinced that they were doing so in some other context. Hence the *context* of the use and who is using it and for what is what determines whether or not I would feel offended by their use of it.

Rather than this demand that in this case, no matter what the context, we MUST be offended.

The dominant meaning of a swastika now is one that is offensive.  It isn't that we must be offended about everything but look critically at those who appear not to be making critical decisions about what they expose to the world.  After all, even if the group was using the swastika for an entirely different reason, you do need to think about what message your usage sends to the world.  Simply because you want to use a symbol for another purpose doesn't mean that you shouldn't have to consider what message your are sending and how others might perceive it.  That's pretty much the definition of being a decent person - how will your choice and actions affect others.

No argument here - and I've already stated that the Marines are dumbasses for not realizing that their flag would be taken out of context and used to slander them.

Doesn't mean I have to do so though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 02:26:33 PM
Same-same just dif color.

Wrong.  The SS images are designed purposefully to be angular at both the base and the top, and the middle bars are at an angle as well, to give it a "lighting bolt" effect.

The KISS design is flat at both the base, the top and the middle bars.

More like KISS, less like SS.

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 02:32:21 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 02:20:11 PM

Raz, just stop. I am not going to respond to your juvenile attacks, so just stop. I know you are going through some tough times, but the constant personal crap is getting tiresome.
'

These aren't just mine.  Nobody here is agreeing with you except some unknown lurker.  Your statements aren't making sense.

Plenty of people here disagree with me in some fashion, and agree with me in others. You are the only one desperately trying to turn it into some personal bullshit.

I know you wont stop, because you aren't capable of doing so, so I guess the joke is on me for asking you to. Continue on.

0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 02:32:21 PM
Nobody here is agreeing with you except some unknown lurker.

You say that like posting on Languish regularly gives one's statements more gravitas.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 02:32:34 PM

Unfortunately Berkut the evil wicked SS used it before these Marines. The SS demonized it.

Indeed, which is why they should not use it - but it isn't a reason for me to be offended by them using it, unless I think they are using it as a means of expressing some kind of commonality of thought with the SS.

I don't think they are doing anything of the kind, hence I am not offended. What exactly in that statement are you disagreeing with?

Are *you* personally offended by them using that font? I mean beyond being annoyed that they would do so because *others* will be offended?

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 02:35:31 PM
No argument here - and I've already stated that the Marines are dumbasses for not realizing that their flag would be taken out of context and used to slander them.

Doesn't mean I have to do so though.

Fair. I don't think anything further than this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

CountDeMoney