Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2012, 02:46:27 AM
Who the fuck is saying they used a logo from the "SS flag"?
PDH for example in the post that you quoted five minutes ago.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on February 10, 2012, 02:53:23 AM

You realize he was being sarcastic, right?

Richard Hakluyt

The flag doesn't really matter, what disturbs me is that those guys look mean and tough, they are also carrying very big guns; I just hope they haven't been nasty to the poor Taliban  :(

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2012, 02:54:40 AM

So?

You realize that I just wondered whether the SS ever used that logo on a flag, right? I guess not, but in this forum full of history geeks, I expected a more definite answer. It's a pity I only got your not very helpful comment as answer so far.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on February 09, 2012, 04:15:16 PM
Partially covered Kiss flag. BFD :rolleyes:

Shame nobody in the Pentagon PR department has the cognitive ability to address that.

PDH

Well, Zanza, this seems to imply at least the image of an SS flag...

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

Right. I'm sure it's a coincidence. Nothing more.
One of those marines, though, looks like he needs to pee. Wonder if there's any Taliban nearby.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 08:17:54 AM
Well, Zanza, this seems to imply at least the image of an SS flag...

Wouldn't be a problem if the Marines had picked Dokken.  Or even Ratt.

PDH

Had they picked Ratt they would have been beaten up.

And rightfully so.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on February 10, 2012, 05:59:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2012, 02:54:40 AM

So?

You realize that I just wondered whether the SS ever used that logo on a flag, right? I guess not, but in this forum full of history geeks, I expected a more definite answer. It's a pity I only got your not very helpful comment as answer so far.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Flaggen_Nazi-Deutschlands#Flaggen_und_Standarten_der_SS

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Syt

My 1939 Brockhaus doesn't have an SS flag entry, but this supposedly contemporary chart floats about the web.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Snipers would never cover their runes with an ugly yellow circle.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2012, 09:49:04 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2012, 05:48:53 PM
I can imagine that a lot of people who are not into history (that's at least 95% of the population) don't know what the flag means. 
Yep. Soldiers aren't known for being the brightest bunch.

Neither are you. Here you are calling "Marines", soldiers. You aren't too bright are you?

One more time for the slow people in regards to the US military:

Marines=Marines
Soldiers=Army
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

Can't we all call them "Guys who really, REALLY shouldn't take photos of themselves in compromising situations" and get along?
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM