News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will you get a raise this year?

Started by Barrister, February 02, 2012, 10:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Barrister

Austerity in Alberta has meant that there will be no new positions added, and that employees will only get cost of living pay increases.  I think I'm in line for a 3 or 3.5% increase this year IIRC.

But that's because the Alberta government is trying to eliminate it's budget deficit, it is nothing like what other jurisdictions are facing.  However if the price of oil crashes...  :ph34r:

Mid 90s wages weren't just frozen, I think there was a 10% wage roll back (and then another 5% at some other point), not to mention hiring freezes.  The PCs aren't afraid to throw public servants under the bus if things get ugly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Brazen

Complete pay freeze here, not even a cost of living increase, that's two years running. Times is tough.

Sheilbh

I'm not working.  But my last job had a 4% pay rise last year.  They were warning about it being about half that this year and a far smaller bonus (and the bonuses were magnificent :weep:), that's despite being a company that does a lot of work in emerging markets.
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

sbr

I for a 3% raise on Jan 1, it barely covered the increase in union dues.

It was my first raise in many years outside of my new job.

szmik

Don't expect raise around here, even if I'm told otherwise.  :yucky:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Martinus

I don't know - our financial year ends in April, so it will largely depend how we do for the next three months. So far it looks like I will.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

The union said they'd ask for 6.5%, so I guess they'll get like 2-3% in the end, which is just cost of living adjustment.

My personal bonus, which is calculated as a percentage of my base salary, might rise like 1-3% or so. I'll know that in a month or so.
The profit sharing was fairly generous last year, but then 2011 was even better than 2010, so I hope they'll pay at least the same.

viper37

about 4% raise this year, plus the dividends, hopefully.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2012, 02:11:26 PM
Lawyering = recession proof?  :hmm:

Depends on your practice area.

Certain areas are pretty constant - family law and criminal law demand is pretty constant.

Some areas are counter-cyclical - bankruptcy for example.

But others are very much boom and bust - mergers and acquisition for example.

But that's for more basic business cycles.  If there's an absolute economic crash no one is immune.  Crime might be a constant, but if the government has to cut deeply they're still going to cut prosecutors.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Meh, I'll get my annual review in May, so I'll get a COLA.

The review itself is a joke, because I'll get the COLA regardless.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)