And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 10:55:45 PM
Whoop, sorry.

QuoteCareer services at USC should really be helping you. Maybe they would have some advice for skill sets you could work on that would make you marketable when you get back. Maybe if you can learn some Korean that could open doors for employment in LA or SF.

They've asked me to come in, and you know, I really should, but they're not really very useful--"here's a job posting from the SC government jobs board, Hunter!" "Yeah, I know, and here are four more that you didn't see; I'm actually better at your minimal duties than you are"--but especially since I've opted out of the bar because of the decline in barred attorney hiring and wages (and I still say it only seems like a terrible idea in hindsight, and at least saved me a couple of thousand bucks).

But what about the interview prep, the mock interviews, networking opportunities, and career counseling? It isn't just about finding inboxes to send your resume to, and they should help with the other stuff.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 10:56:36 PM
By the way, PM me your facebook address

I haven't used it in six years, I don't really know it anymore.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

If you're coming over seas you'll need it to keep in touch with folks back home.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

You on skype then? Email me that address. I need to see how bad your accent really is.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2012, 10:59:27 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 10:55:45 PM
Whoop, sorry.

QuoteCareer services at USC should really be helping you. Maybe they would have some advice for skill sets you could work on that would make you marketable when you get back. Maybe if you can learn some Korean that could open doors for employment in LA or SF.

They've asked me to come in, and you know, I really should, but they're not really very useful--"here's a job posting from the SC government jobs board, Hunter!" "Yeah, I know, and here are four more that you didn't see; I'm actually better at your minimal duties than you are"--but especially since I've opted out of the bar because of the decline in barred attorney hiring and wages (and I still say it only seems like a terrible idea in hindsight, and at least saved me a couple of thousand bucks).

But what about the interview prep, the mock interviews, networking opportunities, and career counseling? It isn't just about finding inboxes to send your resume to, and they should help with the other stuff.

I did go once, and they treated me like such scum I didn't even get to the stuff I wanted to talk to them about (whether and to what extent they believed my criminal record would impact my ability to get work, anyone they knew in a hiring position in government service--even though I think they're not supposed to do that--etc.).  Like, I was really embarrassed to talk to her, because she acted like I was a complete asshole because I didn't have any volunteer experience (yeah, because I got thrown out of the GAL program on my last training day because I had a criminal record--which I disclosed, mind) or a 1L summer internship (I think I had a 2.7 GPA my 1L year, I sucked like a sucking competition in Sucktown, and I was pretty much too depressed/aware of my chances to even try).

Ever since then I've been very avoidant of my CSO, until she sent me the employment survey, which I filled out with gusto.  She said she was sorry.  But I'm pretty sure she's just going to hit me again.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 11:05:27 PM
If you're coming over seas you'll need it to keep in touch with folks back home.

Why?  If they die or something, I'm sure I'll get an email.

We don't really discuss our personal lives/random bullshit with each other; I mean, I talk to my dad pretty regularly, but only because I'm the only person he knows that gives a shit about ancient history, although also I ask him for money a lot, and in that regard he'll probably be happy not to hear from me for a while; and once or twice a year I talk to my sister for a few hours.

QuoteYou on skype then?

No.  Is skype free?  Of course, I don't have a microphone either.  My service plan may let me just, you know, call you.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 11:08:09 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 11:05:27 PM

Why?

QuoteYou on skype then?

No.  Is skype free?  Of course, I don't have a microphone either.  My service plan may let me just, you know, call you.
Skype is free.

It works the other way around if you have a regular phone. I'll call you.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

What's a regular phone?  Non-VOIP, or do you mean landline?  I'm not trying to be difficult here, I swear. :lol:

I'll PM my number.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 11:13:01 PM
What's a regular phone?  Non-VOIP, or do you mean landline?  I'm not trying to be difficult here, I swear. :lol:

I'll PM my number.
Cell phone or land line for sure. If you have a phone number I don't see why it wouldn't work.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

OK but if you're calling me now hold on, I've got to use the bathroom.  I just drank like two sodas with my cheesecake. -_-
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

The county hiring supervisor should be sending you an email.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 11:19:57 PM
OK but if you're calling me now hold on, I've got to use the bathroom.  I just drank like two sodas with my cheesecake. -_-

Situation resolved.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

If now's a good time, I'll call sure.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

But could you understand the yokel at all?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son