Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 02, 2012, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2012, 08:29:54 PM
To me, perhaps you're the one with the stupid accent. :angry:
Oh, crap. Totally forgot about. A lot of these places do phone or skype interviews.

You'll never pass if your southern accent is too strong.  :(
I managed.
I know a Glaswegian even who got through the Jet application process and Jet is probably the best.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 02, 2012, 10:55:05 PM
The whole point for an Asian to learn English is to be perceived as an intelligent citizens of the world and worthy memebrs of the elite.  It's hard to do that when the Southern accent is universally associated with gross idiocy.

I can neutralize it with some effort, although they did let Tim in, and honestly I don't know why anyone would want to sound like someone from Massachusetts.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

Southern accent being an obstacle to the JET program is something I hadn't considered.

I bet i'll do fine, though. I grew up in the big city.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on February 03, 2012, 12:56:44 AM
I can neutralize it with some effort, although they did let Tim in, and honestly I don't know why anyone would want to sound like someone from Massachusetts.
Tim doesn't have that heavy of a New England accent.  You can tell he's from up there, but it's not immediately obvious when he first says something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Nobody can place my accent.  Even people who live here, think I've from some place different.  It's weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2012, 08:28:41 PM
That would so crack me up if I ran into Korean a couple years down the road that spoke English like Gomer Pyle.

I so want to teach a generation of Japanese businessmen to speak English with a Dundalk accent.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2012, 06:50:40 AM
Nobody can place my accent.  Even people who live here, think I've from some place different.  It's weird.

I worked very hard growing up to make sure nobody can tell where I hail from;  when I tell people I'm from Baltimore, they think I'm a transplant, because I pronounce it "Baltimore", not "Bawlmer, hon."

Caliga

Yeah, you don't have a local accent.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on February 03, 2012, 07:43:42 AM
Yeah, you don't have a local accent.

And I mean to keep it that way.
People actually think I'm from closer to New York, but that might be because of all the profanity.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2012, 07:49:58 PM
Just misdemeanors!

China doesn't give a fuck. :)
One of my coworkers got busted for pot possession in NY a year or so before going to teach in China.
Just don't mention Tibet.  :ph34r:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 03, 2012, 09:13:35 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2012, 07:49:58 PM
Just misdemeanors!

China doesn't give a fuck. :)
One of my coworkers got busted for pot possession in NY a year or so before going to teach in China.
Just don't mention Tibet.  :ph34r:

I don't think the mainland is for me, in that I'm 99% sure I'd be dead before the end of my contract.  At the very least, I'd need a new handle here to disassociate myself from my numerous statements against the PRC.  Mono would probably sell me out for a new pair of shoes though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 02, 2012, 07:37:45 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 02, 2012, 04:48:55 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 02, 2012, 02:09:34 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2012, 08:20:55 AM
Also, I now have a Korean girlfriend.

:cheers:
Awesome!
Did you just meet her after getting back from vacation, or did you know her from before?
After, signed up on korean cupid after I got back. Went on one date so far, have scheduled another. Maybe a little premature to call her my girlfriend, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to stir the pot here.

Nice. :)
Good luck, and keep us/me updated.
Currently going down in flames.
Apparently 1-1.5 hours of talking a day on days we don't meet is not enough for her.

Also, she thinks I'm cold and curt.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Sounds suffocating. You're probably better off.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

Come to Georgia instead. Between presidential elections in Russia, (newly-important) parliamentary elections here, and double-dipping Euro economic contagion, this year will be exciting.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Dude, you live in Georgia?  Has this ever come up before?