News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"The Mongols were over rated"

Started by Jacob, January 31, 2012, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In a fight between the English and the Mongols in the early 1200s, who would win?

The English
3 (7.5%)
The Mongols
25 (62.5%)
Fuck you and your alt history Timmy
12 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 40

mongers

Because their greater mobility gives them much more of an opportunity to decide where the battle takes place. 

The English can keep hoping from forest to forest, narrow lane to hedged countryside.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

I like to assume an English army invading Mongolia.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2012, 04:11:00 PM
I like to assume an English army invading Mongolia.

Which maybe one of the few places on this planet an English./British army hasn't fought.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2012, 04:05:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2012, 04:04:17 PM
It would seem to me the biggest problem for Mongols in Western Europe would not be longbows, but castles.  Private castles were everywhere in the period and warfare at the time revolved around sieges rather then pitched battles.  Each siege took a lot of guys, and a lot of time.
  Something the Mongols wouldn't have much of.  The private castles arose from poor organization rather then good, and this might be what would defeat the Mongols.

EDIT:  I do not care for the new boards formatting.  I'm having quite a bit of difficulty with it.

The Mongols did quite well at taking walled cities, I believe. I'm pretty sure they had plenty of experience besieging castles too.

Castles can hold out longer then cities.  Castles only hold a small group of men all of them are well armed and trained.  Assaulting them is the only quick way to take the castle and that leads
to lots of casualties.  And unfortunately for the Mongols there were a lot of castles.  If the Mongols bypass the castles, the soldiers inside would ride out and harass the mongol army and
it's foragers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2012, 03:21:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2012, 03:17:07 PM
Well obviously if the English had tons of Longbowmen in a heavily fortified position and the Mongols launced a series of suicidal frontal assaults they might win but the Mongols would never do that.

Really this seems like an absurd question.  The Mongols would win easily.  I mean how many 10,000 man armies could 13th century England field?

Well, the mongols were never tested against an organized Western army like the one fielded by Richard the Lionheart. That, apparently, is the crux of the argument.

By that standard every single European army was disorganized, and Richard the Lionheart wasn't a particulary good commander anyway.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on January 31, 2012, 04:10:04 PM
Because their greater mobility gives them much more of an opportunity to decide where the battle takes place. 

The English can keep hoping from forest to forest, narrow lane to hedged countryside.

The problem is that the Mongols don't really know where they are going.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on January 31, 2012, 04:15:59 PM
By that standard every single European army was disorganized, and Richard the Lionheart wasn't a particulary good commander anyway.

Huh?  Richard was a great commander.  I mean to the extent there were great commanders in the 12th century.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2012, 04:05:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2012, 04:04:17 PM
It would seem to me the biggest problem for Mongols in Western Europe would not be longbows, but castles.  Private castles were everywhere in the period and warfare at the time revolved around sieges rather then pitched battles.  Each siege took a lot of guys, and a lot of time.
  Something the Mongols wouldn't have much of.  The private castles arose from poor organization rather then good, and this might be what would defeat the Mongols.

EDIT:  I do not care for the new boards formatting.  I'm having quite a bit of difficulty with it.

The Mongols did quite well at taking walled cities, I believe. I'm pretty sure they had plenty of experience besieging castles too.

A Walled city is a juicy targe worth taking the fall of which end resistance. A castle is a place where if you really really need to take it you'll have to trade 200 or your own men for 20 of the enemy for no gain. A Castle is also a risky proposition for a Mongol style army. The city is surrounded and the enemy army is hiding inside it, the castle is surrounded, but the enemy army is deep inland behind five more castles.

Taking castles is just too hard and takes too long and is not worth it. The English had realized this against France and the HYW degenerated into a series of Chevaucheé
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on January 31, 2012, 04:18:13 PM
Taking castles is just too hard and takes too long and is not worth it. The English had realized this against France and the HYW degenerated into a series of Chevaucheé

And that is pretty much what the Mongols would have done as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2012, 04:19:47 PM

If I recall, the English lost that war as well.  So that doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.  You weaken your enemy but you don't gain any territory and you leave your army open to being
destroyed in detail.  I believe the Mongols and their successors tried this strategy in Eastern Europe for a long time with mixed results.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2012, 04:26:19 PM
I believe the Mongols and their successors tried this strategy in Eastern Europe for a long time with mixed results.

The Golden Horde?  They never intended to conquer anybody just to exact tribute IIRC.

DGuller

Would Mongols really stoop to slaughtering civilian population outside of castles?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 04:39:11 PM
Would Mongols really stoop to slaughtering civilian population outside of castles?

:lol:

Of course not -_-

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 04:39:11 PM

Would the Angevins rise to caring if the peasants got slaughtered?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

I think that Jake's friend may be muddling up the rather good English armies of c.1350 with the more mundane forces of 1200  :hmm:

The problem with our medieval wars with the French is that by the time the English had a clear military advantage our king had ceased to be a Frenchman, at which point it becomes 4m Englishmen vs 18m French; no doubt Dr Johnson would reckon that gave us the advantage but IMO it doomed us to failure as soon as the French got their act together.