News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"The Mongols were over rated"

Started by Jacob, January 31, 2012, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In a fight between the English and the Mongols in the early 1200s, who would win?

The English
3 (7.5%)
The Mongols
25 (62.5%)
Fuck you and your alt history Timmy
12 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2012, 03:21:27 PM
Well, the mongols were never tested against an organized Western army like the one fielded by Richard the Lionheart. That, apparently, is the crux of the argument.

Um the Battle of Legnica?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 31, 2012, 03:22:37 PM
I'd like to fire your colleague.

I'm a softie, I'd go for reeducation. You know, dump three or four relevant history books and expect him to read them as research for the next project.

Valmy

Besides before the professionals of the 15th and 16th centuries come along is there really anything particularly formidable about western armies?  I mean just because your great-great-great-great Grandchildren are going to be worldbeaters does nothing for you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2012, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2012, 03:21:27 PM
Well, the mongols were never tested against an organized Western army like the one fielded by Richard the Lionheart. That, apparently, is the crux of the argument.

Um the Battle of Legnica?

East Europeans don't count, it seems, and that includes Germans.

Razgovory

I don't know how widespread the use of Longbows was in the mid 13th century.  The "Bill and Bow" era of English warfare didn't come until a later I think.  I imagine the Chinese were fairly well organized during the time period, and they didn't do that well against the Mongols.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The English were so well organized around 1200 that they were ruled over by a pack of French-speaking neo-Vikings.  At least when they weren't plunged into one of their recurrent civil wars.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Tough question. The guys who spread their DNA around like saliva on poetry night vs the guys who define homosexuality?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2012, 02:50:03 PM
A colleague just advanced the thesis that "the Mongols were over rated. They were just a bunch of disorganized guys on horses who never fought against organized enemies, like the English."

Discuss.
you colleague has probably read "Game of Thrones" and confused the Mongols for the Dothraki ;)  It's the same argument made by Robert or one of his advisors.

Anyway... I think the Mongols could have defeated the English for various reasons:
1- open field, they have mobility, something the English lacked.
2- English were good to fight heavy cavalry with their longbows, in a tiny road, not an open field.  With horse archers arriving quick from multiple directions, combined with light cavalry raids, they would be outmatched.
3- English had strong heavy cavalry, but these were good when fighting non spear infantry and other cavalry using the same tactics.  the Mongol "strategy" was to circle around their ennemy and shoot arrows at them.
4- Mongols had numbers, numbers superior to those of the English.  With superior numbers, the English maybe would stand a chance.  Otherwise, they'd be toasted.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2012, 04:00:43 PM
A colleague just advanced the thesis that "the Mongols were over rated. They were just a bunch of disorganized guys on horses who never fought against organized enemies, like the English."

Discuss.
you colleague has probably read "Game of Thrones" and confused the Mongols for the Dothraki ;)  It's the same argument made by Robert or one of his advisors.

Anyway... I think the Mongols could have defeated the English for various reasons:
2- English were good to fight heavy cavalry with their longbows, in a tiny road, not an open field.  With horse archers arriving quick from multiple directions, combined with light cavalry raids, they would be outmatched.
3- English had strong heavy cavalry, but these were good when fighting non spear infantry and other cavalry using the same tactics.  the Mongol "strategy" was to circle around their ennemy and shoot arrows at them.
4- Mongols had numbers, numbers superior to those of the English.  With superior numbers, the English maybe would stand a chance.  Otherwise, they'd be toasted.

Toasted by the Mongols?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

It would seem to me the biggest problem for Mongols in Western Europe would not be longbows, but castles.  Private castles were everywhere in the period and warfare at the time revolved around sieges rather then pitched battles.  Each siege took a lot of guys, and a lot of time.
  Something the Mongols wouldn't have much of.  The private castles arose from poor organization rather then good, and this might be what would defeat the Mongols.

EDIT:  I do not care for the new boards formatting.  I'm having quite a bit of difficulty with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jacob

I suspect this is probably pretty close to the truth.

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2012, 04:04:17 PM
It would seem to me the biggest problem for Mongols in Western Europe would not be longbows, but castles.  Private castles were everywhere in the period and warfare at the time revolved around sieges rather then pitched battles.  Each siege took a lot of guys, and a lot of time.
  Something the Mongols wouldn't have much of.  The private castles arose from poor organization rather then good, and this might be what would defeat the Mongols.

EDIT:  I do not care for the new boards formatting.  I'm having quite a bit of difficulty with it.

The Mongols did quite well at taking walled cities, I believe. I'm pretty sure they had plenty of experience besieging castles too.

Razgovory

Discuss.

Why would you assume an open field?

Viking

Presuming equal numbers in northern france with a Angevin leader fielding a force of heavy cav, longbow archers and various melee infantry with command experience on crusade against steppe nomad type opponents against a mongol commander who just a few months ago penetrated germany since in this alt-history 'verse the Khan didn't die.

That really depends, has that mongol force really spent it's impulse and is set up to be charged or is it a ruse to lure the heavy cav into a Carrhae style trap?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.