News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"The Mongols were over rated"

Started by Jacob, January 31, 2012, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In a fight between the English and the Mongols in the early 1200s, who would win?

The English
3 (7.5%)
The Mongols
25 (62.5%)
Fuck you and your alt history Timmy
12 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Jacob

A colleague just advanced the thesis that "the Mongols were over rated. They were just a bunch of disorganized guys on horses who never fought against organized enemies, like the English."

Discuss.

MadImmortalMan

I heard the Mongols have a problem getting to islands.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2012, 02:55:15 PM
I heard the Mongols have a problem getting to islands.

Yeah.

Apparently the Armenians were being stupid because they didn't dig trenches and fill them with caltrops when they fought the Mongols.

DGuller

It depends on location.  If Mongols manage to take the battle to the open fields, then Mongols would win decisively, since their open field tactics had no counter at the time.  In the woods, I would definitely bet on the English.

Admiral Yi

The Mongols were extremely organized.

The better angle your colleague could have taken is how would the Mongol horse archers have faired against an army with large numbers of bowman who outranged them.

Barrister

So basically you opened this thread to backhandedly complain about how stupid your colleagues are?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

I bet those guys that make the "Pirate Vs. Medieval Knight" kind of shows have made this fight.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 02:57:55 PM
It depends on location.  If Mongols manage to take the battle to the open fields, then Mongols would win decisively, since their open field tactics had no counter at the time.  In the woods, I would definitely bet on the English.

Yes, this is perhaps the key determinant, given how mobile the Mongols were wouldn't they have a greater opportunity to choose the battlefield than the slow moving English on foot ?

I voted English out of Shakespearian patriotism, but I think the shock of encountering Mongols and their tactics, for the first time would be greater for the Engilsh than the potential novelty the Mongols might face.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2012, 03:01:52 PM
So basically you opened this thread to backhandedly complain about how stupid your colleagues are?

Nothing gets by you, eh?

Admiral Yi

You colleague is a clod and should hand over all his options and his hottie secretary to you.

Valmy

Well obviously if the English had tons of Longbowmen in a heavily fortified position and the Mongols launced a series of suicidal frontal assaults they might win but the Mongols would never do that.

Really this seems like an absurd question.  The Mongols would win easily.  I mean how many 10,000 man armies could 13th century England field?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on January 31, 2012, 03:03:06 PM
I bet those guys that make the "Pirate Vs. Medieval Knight" kind of shows have made this fight.

:mad:

HISTORY DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 03:16:43 PM
You colleague is a clod and should hand over all his options and his hottie secretary to you.

He's still on probation, but since he's a programmer his history related foibles won't be held against him.

Eddie Teach

I'm sure Somali pirates could take an equal number of medieval knights.  :pirate
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2012, 03:17:07 PM
Well obviously if the English had tons of Longbowmen in a heavily fortified position and the Mongols launced a series of suicidal frontal assaults they might win but the Mongols would never do that.

Really this seems like an absurd question.  The Mongols would win easily.  I mean how many 10,000 man armies could 13th century England field?

Well, the mongols were never tested against an organized Western army like the one fielded by Richard the Lionheart. That, apparently, is the crux of the argument.