What is the West? Is Greece part of the West?

Started by Razgovory, January 17, 2012, 08:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on January 20, 2012, 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on January 20, 2012, 02:42:04 PM
"Corn flakes usually contain corn."
That's what they want you to think. 100% tree bark :contract:

The Institute of Kindergarden Research states that it is 100% scabs.  :contract:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2012, 03:06:29 PM
I'm sorry you couldn't put words in my Mouth Fahdiz. :console:

I'm sorry your arguments aren't very good. Now we're even.

You aren't making any sense; no one in this thread thinks you're making any sense. Why don't you just cut your losses?
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I reckon so.  My argument that something can't be two things at once falls on deaf ears.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I now realize I made a tactical mistake.  Instead of simply saying that Plato didn't write the Bible and leave room for people put words in my mouth I should have pointed out that Christianity isn't a uniquely Western concept.  They've had Christianity in Eastern Europe and Russia for quite some time.

But alas, I did not.  So I reckon I lose. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2012, 04:22:03 PM
I now realize I made a tactical mistake.  Instead of simply saying that Plato didn't write the Bible and leave room for people put words in my mouth I should have pointed out that Christianity isn't a uniquely Western concept.  They've had Christianity in Eastern Europe and Russia for quite some time.

I don't see how this point is any more interesting or significant or adds anything more to the conversation than claiming Plato didn't write the Bible.

Both are true and obvious.  So what?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2012, 03:59:00 PM
I reckon so.  My argument that something can't be two things at once falls on deaf ears.

All kinds of things can be two things at once  :blink:
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on January 20, 2012, 04:29:57 PM

Can a place be both Eastern and Western at once?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2012, 04:25:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2012, 04:22:03 PM

I don't see how this point is any more interesting or significant or adds anything more to the conversation than claiming Plato didn't write the Bible.

Both are true and obvious.  So what?

So the thing about Christianity wasn't really relevant to the argument against me.  My argument is not that Greece didn't contribute to the West, but that it contributed to other cultures at least as equally.  If Greek thought and religion provides the foundation of both Eastern European and Western European thought, then it can't be solely Western or Eastern.  It has to be something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2012, 04:50:51 PM
So the thing about Christianity wasn't really relevant to the argument against me.  My argument is not that Greece didn't contribute to the West, but that it contributed to other cultures at least as equally.  If Greek thought and religion provides the foundation of both Eastern European and Western European thought, then it can't be solely Western or Eastern.  It has to be something else.

But what would be relevent in this discussion?  Nothing.  I already said I disagree fundamentally to your premise so arguing from that premise will go nowhere.  This is basic Aristotle, who is a key foundation to my thinking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Okay, what line of argument would get me somewhere?

dps

Of course something can be 2 (or more) things at once.  A red chair is both a chair, and a red object.  If it happens to be made of wood, it's also a wooden object.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on January 20, 2012, 07:45:04 PM

Of course something can be 2 (or more) things at once.  A red chair is both a chair, and a red object.  If it happens to be made of wood, it's also a wooden object.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.  To mutually exclusive things can't be the same at once.  Something can't be East and West at the same time.

crazy canuck

I am both tall and awesome.  Some people confuse those as being the same thing but they are distinctly distinct.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2012, 08:02:08 PM
Quote from: dps on January 20, 2012, 07:45:04 PM

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.  To mutually exclusive things can't be the same at once.  Something can't be East and West at the same time.

Why must the Greeks have influenced only one culture?

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2012, 04:40:51 PM

Can a place be both Eastern and Western at once?

Can't a culture espouse some Eastern ideals and some Western ideals as the same time?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.