What is the West? Is Greece part of the West?

Started by Razgovory, January 17, 2012, 08:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2012, 03:13:01 PM
BTW, doesn't the Great Schism refer to the two popes, one in Avignon and the other in Rome?

No that was the "Western Schism" and I believe there were three Popes...maybe even four for a bit before Martin V un-Poped everybody (or maybe the College of Cardinals or some other body un-Poped everybody...I do not remember).  The Great Schism refers to the excommunication of the Patriarch of Constantinople by the Pope in 1054.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 01:41:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 01:40:17 PM
I think Plato had preciously little with writing the Bible.  Also I think the Jews had a major impact on it as well.

I think Plato had tons to do with Christian thought.

Not so much Plato but rather Plotinus and the Neoplatonists (who, if you asked them would have called themlselves Platonists). Neoplatonism, while it has pagan origins, is the foundation of Catholic thought. Effectively Catholicism is Neoplatonism with Jesus inserted. While the medievals lacked Plato's texts they had their consequences (as seen by Porphyrus and Plotinus) in their Liturgy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 02:42:28 PM
Actually, we are talking about what Is the West, and if Greece is the West as well.

You're the one who wanted to say (wrongly) that Plato didn't have much influence on Christianity.

In any event, the topics are tied together, since Platonism is certainly Greek and Christianity has certainly become associated with the West, for better or worse.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 03:02:55 PM
Ok then we are not debating over anything substantial then.  I believe Western Civ split into an Eastern Branch and Western Branch.  You hold that it was a third Civ that split.

I guess I would have to be convinced my view requires proof Western Europe is more Greek than the Greeks.  That is absurd.

I would help to look back and see what this thread is about.  If Ancient Greece is the cradle of Western Civilization and was part of the West it should be the epitome of what is "Western".  For both societies to move their own way and only one be called "Western" and the one that is Western is the one that isn't Greek it means the other one has to out Greek the Greeks.  Or perhaps be more "Western" then the founder of "Westernism".

As I said, the Greeks and Bulgarians draw a great deal of their intellectual heritage from ancient Greece, why should they be relegated to "eastern" while Britain is considered "Western"?  The only reason I can think of is intellectual chauvinism.  The desire to draw a direct line from the brilliant culture of ancient Greece to the modern period.  I reject this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 07:07:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 03:02:55 PM
Ok then we are not debating over anything substantial then.  I believe Western Civ split into an Eastern Branch and Western Branch.  You hold that it was a third Civ that split.

I guess I would have to be convinced my view requires proof Western Europe is more Greek than the Greeks.  That is absurd.

I would help to look back and see what this thread is about.  If Ancient Greece is the cradle of Western Civilization and was part of the West it should be the epitome of what is "Western".  For both societies to move their own way and only one be called "Western" and the one that is Western is the one that isn't Greek it means the other one has to out Greek the Greeks.  Or perhaps be more "Western" then the founder of "Westernism".

As I said, the Greeks and Bulgarians draw a great deal of their intellectual heritage from ancient Greece, why should they be relegated to "eastern" while Britain is considered "Western"?  The only reason I can think of is intellectual chauvinism.  The desire to draw a direct line from the brilliant culture of ancient Greece to the modern period.  I reject this.

Not sure that follows.  The Chinese invented gunpowder, but that's not made them a predominat military power since then.

Razgovory

True, but I wouldn't consider the France "Chinese" because they adopted either.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2012, 12:36:21 PM
You're wrong on the Renaissance.  They didn't feel inferior.  The Medieval world felt inferior, in some ways, but one of the marks of the Renaissance is a certain intellectual self-confidence.  For example Petrarch wrote a series of letters to Cicero, as a friend.  He was not only equal to, but corresponding with, the Classical world.  That sort of intimacy is unimaginable in the Medieval period.

The School of Athens confirms this attitude, IMO.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2012, 03:13:01 PM
BTW, doesn't the Great Schism refer to the two popes, one in Avignon and the other in Rome?
Both the 1054 schism and the 1378 schism are referred to as "the Great Schism."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 09:12:46 PM
True, but I wouldn't consider the France "Chinese" because they adopted either.

Well, we don't call the West Greece, we call it the West.

Valmy

I disagree and am unconvinced by this premise so I fail to see the value in arguing it.  I mean India is the cradle of Buddhism but there are many countries more Buddhist than India.

QuoteAs I said, the Greeks and Bulgarians draw a great deal of their intellectual heritage from ancient Greece, why should they be relegated to "eastern" while Britain is considered "Western"?  The only reason I can think of is intellectual chauvinism.  The desire to draw a direct line from the brilliant culture of ancient Greece to the modern period.  I reject this.

No it is for perfectly good historical reasons I have discussed several times in this thread.  Intellectual Chauvinism?  Please.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Is this one of those "thoughts" that is actually an assertion, Raz?  It seems you are ignoring the evidence that shows how the West used (in Ancient times and later Medieval/Renaissance) the work of the Greeks to build and increase the foundation of those things that are essentially Western.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2012, 10:10:57 AM

I disagree and am unconvinced by this premise so I fail to see the value in arguing it.  I mean India is the cradle of Buddhism but there are many countries more Buddhist than India.

It is classic Razzian "gotcha" argumentation:  built on premises that are, in fact, not only not generally accepted, but made up on the spot, and then presenting an obviously flawed "conclusion" as though its flaws then disproved the contention that Greece was one of the wellsprings of Western thought.

I recommend that you just ignore him.   There is no intellectual honesty in this kind of argument, just an effort to somehow "set you up" so he can come back with this kind of lame "zinger."

Bayraktar!

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 06:54:52 PM
I said that Plato didn't write the Bible.,

But since we all know that's true, why even bother to say it?

No, you were trying to make a point about Greek influence on the Bible. And it was an incorrect one. No weasling, now - take it like a man.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I'm well aware of what point I was trying to make.