Alt-Hist; the reality. (ATTN: This is not a Timmy like thread)

Started by Viking, January 11, 2012, 10:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Siege on January 15, 2012, 06:31:28 PM
You might be disappointed.
Helen would probably look ugly and hairy to our modern eyes.
Not to mention too fat and too old.

Interestingly, if you add up the dates--and bearing in mind that her, Klytemnestra, Castor, and Polydeuces form a quadruplet set--Helen winds up being like 40 or 50 by the time of Homer's Iliad.  I worked it out once, but she had to be way older than Paris.  She'd also had five children. :yuk:  All of whom died except for Hermione, but I forget what happened to her (she was Menelaus' only child iirc).  (Of course, according to some traditions she was also a demigoddess, daughter of Zeus like Polydeuces, so maybe that too fat/too old shit doesn't apply in the first place.)

Of course, the other part is the Spartan monarchy passed through her bloodline from Tyndareus, and was Menelaus' only by marriage/what seems to be in the context of what happened to Helen's sister and the fact that Tyndareus is still very much alive when Menelaus becomes king, very thinly veiled threat of force.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Ide, those myths don't have dates.  They didn't really happen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2012, 09:58:50 PM
Ide, those myths don't have dates.  They didn't really happen.

Duh.  But it's fun to connect them and see how they fit in the context of the whole.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

The Greeks themselves couldn't agree upon a chronology for their heroes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2012, 10:07:56 PM
The Greeks themselves couldn't agree upon a chronology for their heroes.

Not the point.  The point is choosing the stories I like best, and which, for me, best form a coherent and interesting narrative.  And the idea of the Atreides killing, raping, and threatening their way into hegemonic status, and the Trojan War being largely about neutralizing Helen and Paris as a threat to that hegemony, is coherent, plausible, and interesting to me.  And I don't think it's too much to imagine a thruline to the Bronze Age stories of Helen and Klytemnestra trying to achieve their goals and ultimately losing to the villains.  I mean, the Oresteia is literally about Agamemnon's line's ultimate triumph, a completely unjust matricide vindicated by the gods.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2012, 03:20:20 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on January 15, 2012, 12:16:29 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 12, 2012, 11:51:36 PM
I am pretty sure that Tyr doesn't know how to make any of those things or even begin to design them.  For that matter, does anyone on here?

I'm sure a few of us remember our courses in thermodynamics, electromagnetism, chemistry and the like. Enough to make a huge difference anyway.

Depends when how far you go back, doesn't it?  If you go back one hundred years, a few college courses in Physics and Chemistry aren't likely to be enough.  Go back too far, and they probably won't do you that much good either.  You may know what elements make up a chemical compound, but finding those materials in large quantities might be difficult in say 8th century Germany.
So 1750s Britain is just right :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Uh, I guess.  Depends on what you want to do.  Also, you are about my age, so you probably haven't had a Small Pox inoculation.