Alt-Hist; the reality. (ATTN: This is not a Timmy like thread)

Started by Viking, January 11, 2012, 10:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Habbaku on January 12, 2012, 11:51:36 PM
I am pretty sure that Tyr doesn't know how to make any of those things or even begin to design them.  For that matter, does anyone on here?

I'm sure a few of us remember our courses in thermodynamics, electromagnetism, chemistry and the like. Enough to make a huge difference anyway.

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on January 15, 2012, 12:09:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 12, 2012, 03:23:19 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has an actual, viable plan in case he ever gets a time machine.

Not viable at all unless you solve two problems:

a) How to resupply your army.

Time machine.

Quoteb) How to maintain control of it.

Rewards beyond human appreciation; what redneck with a gun thought he might be a strategos, or dux?  They will be awash in material comfort and trim.  No one will seek more.

If they do, then there's always the reign of terror.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on January 15, 2012, 12:16:29 PM
I am pretty sure that Tyr doesn't know how to make any of those things or even begin to design them.  For that matter, does anyone on here?

I'm sure a few of us remember our courses in thermodynamics, electromagnetism, chemistry and the like. Enough to make a huge difference anyway.

Depends when how far you go back, doesn't it?  If you go back one hundred years, a few college courses in Physics and Chemistry aren't likely to be enough.  Go back too far, and they probably won't do you that much good either.  You may know what elements make up a chemical compound, but finding those materials in large quantities might be difficult in say 8th century Germany.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

This is why I limit my time machine excursions to fucking the local populace.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2012, 03:20:20 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on January 15, 2012, 12:16:29 PM

Depends when how far you go back, doesn't it?  If you go back one hundred years, a few college courses in Physics and Chemistry aren't likely to be enough.  Go back too far, and they probably won't do you that much good either.  You may know what elements make up a chemical compound, but finding those materials in large quantities might be difficult in say 8th century Germany.

I imagine if you have the requisite theoretical knowledge (and the ability to enforce that theoretical perspective, which you know to be true, but cannot prove on your own, by force of arms), you could get a lot out of old-time "experts."

Like, the germ theory of disease alone would almost immediately make whatever political unit you managed to carve out superior to any competitor.  It doesn't require special medical knowledge, just a vague awareness of microbial life and the possible harm they can accomplish.

And anyway I think I'd be able to find coal in the Rhineland.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I imagine knowing the language and culture might be important as well.

But Ed has the right idea.  Go back, and get some dinosaurs and release them in the streets of ancient Rome, toss an old set of car keys in with the burial at Sutton Hoo, or sell an Alarm clock in Sassanid Persia for a chest of gold.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2012, 04:25:52 PM

I think you're forgetting you have a time machine.  You can leave when you're ready.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

But Ed has the right idea.  Go back, and get some dinosaurs and release them in the streets of ancient Rome, toss an old set of car keys in with the burial at Sutton Hoo, or sell an Alarm clock in Sassanid Persia for a chest of gold.

How do you plan to control the dinosaurs?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2012, 04:59:06 PM

How do you plan to control the dinosaurs?

I was thinking I wouldn't need to control them.  Just drop a net over them, then release in Rome

Really, with a Time Machine you can do pretty much anything.  Wipe out the entire Army of Northern Virginia with a Sniper Rifle?  Sure thing!  Just keep popping in and out of the time line.

Iormlund

Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 03:14:34 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has an actual, viable plan in case he ever gets a time machine.

Time machine.

Rewards beyond human appreciation; what redneck with a gun thought he might be a strategos, or dux?  They will be awash in material comfort and trim.  No one will seek more.

For some reason I thought time travel was a one-way ticket. If you can travel at will it loses a great part of the challenge.

In that case I would kick Paris in the nads and put Helen on all fours.

Siege

Quote from: Iormlund on January 15, 2012, 06:13:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 03:14:34 PM

Time machine.

For some reason I thought time travel was a one-way ticket. If you can travel at will it loses a great part of the challenge.

In that case I would kick Paris in the nads and put Helen on all fours.

You might be disappointed.
Helen would probably look ugly and hairy to our modern eyes.
Not to mention too fat and too old.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

But if I had a time machine I would definitively go forward to the future, arm myself with the ultimate power-armor and laser weapons, then come back to the present and assrape Timmay with my power finger.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Yeah, I imagine Siege can shove his fingers up Tim's ass without space armor.

Ed Anger

And ejaculate into the primordial ooze.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive