And we're back!

Main Menu

Pizza joint called me 'lady chinky eyes'

Started by garbon, January 09, 2012, 12:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 09, 2012, 05:28:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2012, 04:58:36 PM
Whilst a teenage I used to work in a reasonably 'authentic' pizzeria, the main chef came from a central northern city I forget, used to make these margarita pizza which in no way could be described as greasy and didn't seem to have any olive oil, but still the best pizza I've tasted, hard to describe, somewhat thin, watery tomato sauce, and rather underdone by today's 'fire them to black for the authentic look' trend, but I'd still kill for one of those pizzas.

If he came from central Italy chances are olive oil was one of the ingredients.   Is it even physically possible for an Italian to cook without olive oil?

I meant centre of northern iIaly. 

iirc the huge bone of contention in the restaurant was between him and the sicilian manager, who according to the chef insisted on putting garlic in absolutely everything; italians going to war over food issues.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 05:01:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2012, 04:22:13 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 04:20:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2012, 04:13:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2012, 04:01:05 PM
The best pizza I ever tasted, and in fact the pizza ranked consistently near the very top in NYC, is quite greasy-looking, especially right after it comes out of the oven.  It's not just fat from cheese, it's also olive oil.  Good plain pizza will not taste greasy, the tomato paste should neutralize the taste of greasiness.

I hate this who calling cheese pizza a "plain pizza".

I think that's appropriate.

The name or that I hate it? I was confused when I first saw the "plain" moniker...similar I suppose to when people told me they were standing on line.

Name.  It is unadorned, therefore plain.

A plain hot dog would have no mustard, chili, relish.

A plain donut would have no gross jelly filling (and arguably may not have sugar drizzled upon its surface).

A plain potato chip is not dusted with the essence of ranch or barbecue.

And now I'm starving.  You're lucky my free pizza is being made, mister. :angry:

Cheese is an adornment. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2012, 05:31:24 PM
iirc the huge bone of contention in the restaurant was between him and the sicilian manager, who according to the chef insisted on putting garlic in absolutely everything; italians going to war over food issues.  :D

One of the best meals I have ever had was at an Italian resturant in the middle of nowhere in the central Italian countryside where I witnessed the head waiter, one of the Chefs and our waiter having a rather heated argument over how to best plate one of our courses.  Gotta love people who are that passionate about their food.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 09, 2012, 05:37:07 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2012, 05:31:24 PM

One of the best meals I have ever had was at an Italian resturant in the middle of nowhere in the central Italian countryside where I witnessed the head waiter, one of the Chefs and our waiter having a rather heated argument over how to best plate one of our courses.  Gotta love people who are that passionate about their food.

Yes, gotta agree and this wasn't one of those fake foodies fights/issues we get over here now, this was about fundamentally different food philosophies.  :)

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2012, 05:27:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2012, 05:21:18 PM
Fuck, I'm ordering a pizza pie for dinner, all because of this thread.  In honor of our squeemish German friend, it's going to be pretty greasy on top.  :)

Yeah, this topic is damn annoying, I've already eaten, but now I'd kill for a pizza.  :mad:

Mine's okay.

Although I think the free ones might be leftovers. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 05:42:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2012, 05:27:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2012, 05:21:18 PM
Fuck, I'm ordering a pizza pie for dinner, all because of this thread.  In honor of our squeemish German friend, it's going to be pretty greasy on top.  :)

Yeah, this topic is damn annoying, I've already eaten, but now I'd kill for a pizza.  :mad:

Mine's okay.

Although I think the free ones might be leftovers. :lol:

Not looking a gift horse in the chops etc.

That does it, I'm making pizzas next week. 

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Ideologue

Oh, Martinus has come to lay down judgment upon the attractiveness of a woman.  No point in arguing that!
Kinemalogue

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 06:05:38 PM
Oh, Martinus has come to lay down judgment upon the attractiveness of a woman.  No point in arguing that!

Well he has come out with both arms flailing, must be having a bad carebear day.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on January 09, 2012, 06:05:38 PM

Plus he added some of that old time racism to his judgement.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I remember seeing this on CNN.com and foolishly read some of the comments.  I saw one where some guy was raving against "political correctness".  I was thinking that most people don't want to be insulted when they buy something.  I don't think that's to much to ask.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point