Pizza joint called me 'lady chinky eyes'

Started by garbon, January 09, 2012, 12:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I thought this would be special for Languish.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/papa-john-customer-pizza-joint-called-a-chink-article-1.1002304

QuoteShe ordered a small pepperoni pie — and got a side of racism.

Minhee Cho, 24, was shocked when she learned she had been described by a Papa John's employee as "lady chinky eyes."

The public relations rep spotted the disparaging phrase on her receipt Saturday a day after visiting a Hamilton Heights branch of the popular pizzeria.

"Hey @PapaJohns just FYI my name isn't 'lady chinky eyes,'" Cho tweeted, along with the an image of the offensive receipt.

"I was very surprised because the lady that was serving me was super nice and we joked and it seemed super normal," said Cho, an uptown resident.

Papa John's tweeted Saturday evening that the employee is being  axed.

"We are very upset by recent receipt issue in New York & sincerely apologize to our customer. Franchise employee involved is being terminated," the tweet said.

When reached earlier by the Daily News, a Papa John's assistant manager said she was certain her employees didn't mean to offend the customer.

"I apologize. They're not bad people," she said. "I've seen the receipt and I don't know why they wrote that but I'm sure they didn't mean to offend her in any way."

The owner of the store, Ronald Johnson, said that he was shocked over the incident and planned on having sensitivity trainings to make sure nothing similar ever happened again.

"It's just wrong," he said. "I was shocked and I was very, very upset about it."

He added that the employee responsible for the receipt was a teen — who he believed was misguided by "hip hop culture."

"It's unfortunate, but this is the modern culture that they're involved in," he said.

Cho said she posted the receipt on the internet to show her friends and shame Papa John's.

"I wasn't super angry about it," she said. "I (just) can't believe this happened in this day and age."

Even so, that's probably the last time she'll order from the chain pizzeria.

"Some of the tweets I've gotten back are, 'Why are you going to Papa John's when you live in New York City?'" she said.

Also to make sure we get the point - they included an image.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Wait wait modern culture has people calling East Asians 'chinks'?

Pretty sure that was not invented by Hip Hop.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

WAIT A COTTON PICKIN' MINUTE!

She is in New York City and went to...PAPA JOHN'S? What the hell......

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2012, 12:17:32 PM
WAIT A COTTON PICKIN' MINUTE!

She is in New York City and went to...PAPA JOHN'S? What the hell......

That's what the last sentence in the article addresses.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

DGuller

That's a damn good question she was asked.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2012, 12:19:38 PM
That's a damn good question she was asked.

In Hamilton Heights, I might seek out the familiar.

Zanza

Ed Anger

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on January 09, 2012, 12:22:38 PM
I was unimpressed with pizza in New York.
:wacko: I was unimpressed with a Mercedes, so there.  :mad:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2012, 12:26:02 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 09, 2012, 12:22:38 PM
I was unimpressed with pizza in New York.
:wacko: I was unimpressed with a Mercedes, so there.  :mad:

That said I don't know if anyone should be taking advice on good pizza from you.

Ed Anger

Zanza

When I lived there, I found "American" food like steaks with shrimps on top, clam chowder, bagles (we had this utterly awesome place right across the street), burgers, texmex food, hero sandwiches, Coldstone icecream, cheesecake etc. all much more a thing to remember than the pizza, which was nothing special and sometimes rather on the nasty side because it was too fatty.

Maybe I just went to the wrong places, but there were some that were supposed to be good according to locals. In general the Italian food in New York was a disappointing which is strange because there are so many Italians there. I even went to some of the places with a proud Italo-American, but still.

Ideologue

Quote from: ZanzaWhen I lived there, I found "American" food like steaks with shrimps on top, clam chowder, bagles (we had this utterly awesome place right across the street), burgers, texmex food, hero sandwiches, Coldstone icecream, cheesecake etc. all much more a thing to remember than the pizza... [which] was too fatty.

Emphasis supplied. :rolleyes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)