Worst Commander of the Army of the Potomac?

Started by Kleves, January 06, 2012, 06:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was worst?

Irvin Mcdowell
1 (3.1%)
George McClellan
18 (56.3%)
John Pope
4 (12.5%)
Ambrose Burnside
3 (9.4%)
Joe Hooker
4 (12.5%)
George Meade
0 (0%)
Ulysses Grant
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2012, 06:57:40 PM
Can someone tell me what exactly is meant by McClellan building the AotP?

I take it you disagree with the notion but won't come out and say so, in classic Yi style?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on January 09, 2012, 10:25:42 PM

I take it you disagree with the notion but won't come out and say so, in classic Yi style?
It entirely possible that he just isn't an ACW guy, and doesn't know how amateur the Union army was before Mac professionalized it.  It is the only post he has made in the thread, and was in response to at least a couple of claims of that sort about Mac.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

A reasonable inference, but off the mark in this case.

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2012, 11:14:24 PM

It entirely possible that he just isn't an ACW guy, and doesn't know how amateur the Union army was before Mac professionalized it.  It is the only post he has made in the thread, and was in response to at least a couple of claims of that sort about Mac.

A general answer might be; Training, organizing, staffing, command structure...etc

Anywho, a good staff officer doesnt necessarily make a good commander..nor vice versa.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on January 09, 2012, 09:34:12 PM
The job done by McClellan is most obviouslly seen in the difference between the performance of the army at 1st Bull Run and the army running regiment after regiment into the meatgrinder at Fredricksburg.

Heh.  There were quite a few meatgrinders between First Bull Run and Fredricksburg.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."