News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2012, 12:01:49 AM
Well, that was a disappointingly one-sided WS.

Once again the team to sweep an LCS that had to wait for winner of seven game series in other LCS gets routed in World Series
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on October 18, 2012, 11:57:28 PM
Re: the Tigers ALCS sweep, the MLB channel showed a graphic that listed the last 5 teams to sweep the LCS.  Only one of them went on to win the World Series.  Momentum and continuity are huge in the postseason.  Too easy to get cold if you wrap up the LCS too early.

And it came to pass in extraordinary fashion :showoff:

Congrats, kat.  My dad's happy, but his "I didn't think they'd win another one in my lifetime" schtick is wearing thin :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

The Giants picked a hell of a time to go on a 7 game winning streak.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

It might not have happened if they made theri star pitcher, pitch more often.

It's game 4, you are going to lose the WS and you #1 pitcher is scheduled for game 5? Fuck Game 5.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2012, 02:01:36 PM

It's game 4, you are going to lose the WS and you #1 pitcher is scheduled for game 5? Fuck Game 5.

This kind of thinking is just a plague in the modern MLB.  Everybody is such a coward when it comes to their pitchers.  Even in the freaking world series nobody breaks the orthodoxy.  When College coaches do it, bring in their ace on three or four days rest in a huge playoff game, the major league douches whine like that pitcher's freaking human rights were violated.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 10:57:58 AM
Re: the Tigers ALCS sweep, the MLB channel showed a graphic that listed the last 5 teams to sweep the LCS.  Only one of them went on to win the World Series.  Momentum and continuity are huge in the postseason.  Too easy to get cold if you wrap up the LCS too early.

Congrats, kat.  My dad's happy, but his "I didn't think they'd win another one in my lifetime" schtick is wearing thin :D

Well it had been since 1954 before the 2010 win :P

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2012, 02:05:37 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2012, 02:01:36 PM

This kind of thinking is just a plague in the modern MLB.  Everybody is such a coward when it comes to their pitchers.  Even in the freaking world series nobody breaks the orthodoxy.  When College coaches do it, bring in their ace on three or four days rest in a huge playoff game, the major league douches whine like that pitcher's freaking human rights were violated.

In this case I disagree...what good does it do to win game 4 if you don't win game 5? You have to win both, so why not use him when he is more likely to go deeper in the game and be 100%?

Unless you want Verlander to go in games 1, 4, and 7 and make back to back starts on short rest...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 29, 2012, 03:08:49 PM
In this case I disagree...what good does it do to win game 4 if you don't win game 5? You have to win both, so why not use him when he is more likely to go deeper in the game and be 100%?

Unless you want Verlander to go in games 1, 4, and 7 and make back to back starts on short rest...

It is the World Series.  Pitchers went on short rest for decades to get those three starts in.  Last I checked Josh Gibson didn't have his arm fall off following the 1968 series nor did his performance suffer.  I mean what the hell are you saving his arm for?  He has all winter to rest.

And Game 5 is an entirely theoretical aparition when you are down 3-0.  You need to go all out to extend that series.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on October 29, 2012, 02:49:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 10:57:58 AM

Well it had been since 1954 before the 2010 win :P

Right, but it's been twice in three years now. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2012, 03:39:44 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 29, 2012, 03:08:49 PM

It is the World Series.  Pitchers went on short rest for decades to get those three starts in.  Last I checked Josh Gibson didn't have his arm fall off following the 1968 series nor did his performance suffer.  I mean what the hell are you saving his arm for?  He has all winter to rest.

And Game 5 is an entirely theoretical aparition when you are down 3-0.  You need to go all out to extend that series.

I disagree.  You have to play as if you're going to win the series, not just play to win game 4.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2012, 03:50:02 PM
I disagree.  You have to play as if you're going to win the series, not just play to win game 4.

Heh this may go back to being a College Baseball fan.  Once you are facing elimination you go all in, even if that means the right fielder needs to pitch the next game.  Which I think is awesome and dramatic and one of the reasons I love College Baseball.  In MLB people just don't seem to give a crap or want to win nearly as bad as they do in College.  Which is weird since so much more is at stake.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2012, 03:39:44 PM

I disagree--you need to do what gives you the best chance of putting four wins together.

If you were the manager, and I gave you these odds:

Verlander pitches game 4: 60% chance of win.
Verlander pitches game 5: 75% chance of win.
50% chance of winning without Verlander.

What would you do?

I don't have them at hand, but I think the numbers back up that pitchers on short rest are significantly worse than when they have full rest. It isn't as though Jim Leyland is some new age guy that doesn't know pitchers used to go on less rest.

sbr

Josh Gibson's arm didn't call off for 2 reasons.

He was a catcher and he died in 1947.

Bob Gibson had a nice series in '68 tho.

derspiess

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 03:48:57 PM

Right, but it's been twice in three years now.

I know it is....glorious!