And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2012, 02:41:22 PM
I don't like how the Yankees handled the ARod thing. I know he was playing poorly, but the whole "ARod chokes in the postseason" thing is way overdone--his numbers in the postseason are good (if behind the regular season) and he has had some big series. The Yankees really needed production from him, and putting him on the bench against RHP isn't going to let him work through the slump.

But both Chavez and Ibanez were better hitters against righties during the season, and there was some reason to believe that nagging injuries were hampering Rodriguez' performance at the end of the year.  There was a legit reason to sit him.  The messaging could have been much better.

If he is too dinged up to be really effective, that makes sense--but it should be made clear.

I would say that when he is in the Hall of Fame and people are going to look back and ask wtf when they consider the negativity around Rodriguez and why he was on the bench in this series. But then, last year I was at the Hall of Fame and was rather shocked to see they had a picture of Rodriguez being taunted by fans with Madonna pictures and the title of the frame was "Mr. Madonna" and referenced that he is referred to as Mr. April and has "still" never played in a world series game. [I know this because I took about 3 pictures while there, and this was one of them just because of how out of place it seemed]
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Goddamn.  Thanks for choking again in the 4th, Lance Lynn.  Could have gotten out of the inning with zero runs allowed had you not literally thrown the ball AT SECOND BASE.  He's been worthless in the postseason.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Shit, everything is going the Giants' way tonight.  They will win 6-0 and the NLCS will drag on at least another game.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2012, 07:47:33 PM
But then, last year I was at the Hall of Fame and was rather shocked to see they had a picture of Rodriguez being taunted by fans with Madonna pictures and the title of the frame was "Mr. Madonna" and referenced that he is referred to as Mr. April and has "still" never played in a world series game.

???  He played in the 2009 WS.

sbr

Quote from: dps on October 19, 2012, 11:38:38 PM
But then, last year I was at the Hall of Fame and was rather shocked to see they had a picture of Rodriguez being taunted by fans with Madonna pictures and the title of the frame was "Mr. Madonna" and referenced that he is referred to as Mr. April and has "still" never played in a world series game.

And played very well in that series.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on October 19, 2012, 11:38:38 PM

I cut out a relevant portion-- the full quote: "Following the 2008 season, Rodriguez had still not played in a World Series game." I guess they just hadn't gotten around to replacing it.

I saw some stuff on Ernie Banks in Cooperstown, but missed the placard "Following the 2008 season, Ernie Banks still has not played in a World Series game."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

I can't believe these guys can't close this deal.  LaRussa would've shut this fucker down already.

sbr

The cards starting pitching can't get anyone out while the giants are dealing.  Not sure how larussa could change that.

That and the errors.  Oh my god the errors.

katmai

After the Cards performance vs Nats, i ain't counting them out but, :w00t:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Shit.

Go ahead and celebrate, kat.  Tonight's game is turning out to be just like the last two games.  Everything bounces the Giants' way and the Cards can't do anything offensively.

CountDeMoney

Bummer for St. Louie.  Was really rooting for them.

Razgovory

Christ, this is painful to watch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2012, 08:23:40 PM

I shall remember this. <_<

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on October 22, 2012, 08:32:32 PM

I know you have a Phillies Fanatic costume in the back of that closet somewhere.  Don't lie.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2012, 08:34:01 PM
Quote from: katmai on October 22, 2012, 08:32:32 PM

I know you have a Phillies Fanatic costume in the back of that closet somewhere.  Don't lie.

God no, my most prized possessions are Willie Mays & Charlie Gehringer signed baseballs.