Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacobL

Valverde kidnapped verlander and took his place.  :cry:

katmai

Quote from: JacobL on October 24, 2012, 08:31:07 PM
Valverde kidnapped verlander and took his place.  :cry:
Naw, just found out that as Superman has Kryptonite, Verlander has Sandoval, remember he hit a triple off him in All Star game.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Valmy

Brandon Belt :punk:

Did you see how he drew that walk?  Masterful!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

:w00t: Missed the third HR, damn dog wanting to be let outside to pee.

katmai

katmai

2.1 IP, no hits and 5k's for Timmay! :w00t:

katmai

CountDeMoney

Pandamonium is what I love about baseball;  you can keep your walking birth defects that play in the NBA, and the oversize monsters that will die early deaths in the NFL, but baseball is still the greatest sport you can find individuals of all sizes and physiques and still be considered an "athlete".

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 05:52:17 AM
Pandamonium is what I love about baseball;  you can keep your walking birth defects that play in the NBA, and the oversize monsters that will die early deaths in the NFL, but baseball is still the greatest sport you can find individuals of all sizes and physiques and still be considered an "athlete".

So you were a John Kruk fan?

sbr

John kruk wasnt an athlete he was a baseball player.

Valmy

That is because it is about skill more than being a physical freak.  Which to Merithyn means they are morally worse than NBA players or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8548986/pablo-sandoval-had-historic-night-game-1-world-series-mlb

QuoteThis was the 625th World Series game in history. Only three other men have ever done what Sandoval did Wednesday. You may have heard of them. There was George H. (Bambino) Ruth in both 1926 and 1928. There was Reginald M. Jackson in 1977. And there was Sir Albert Pujols, just one October ago. And that's all, folks.

• But what separated Sandoval from those other legends was this: He was the first man ever to launch his three home runs in his first three plate appearances of a World Series game. Only Ruth came close -- homering in his first three official at-bats of that 1926 trifecta but sneaking in a walk between the second and third homers.

• Now, let's add in a little extra degree of difficulty, by considering the ballpark Sandoval hit these three home runs in. There have been 2,108 regular-season games played in AT&T Park and 51 postseason games. And only one other time, in those 2,159 games, has any other player hit three homers in a game in this park. That would be Kevin Elster, who did it in the first game ever played there, on April 11, 2000. You read that right: Kevin Elster.

• There's also Venezuelan baseball history to consider. In one game, Sandoval hit as many World Series home runs as all the other major league players from his homeland had ever hit in all their Fall Classic visits put together. The previous three came off the bats of Dave Concepcion (1975), Miguel Cabrera (2003) and Alex Gonzalez (2003).

• And finally, let's factor in this game's place in Giants World Series history. This is the 19th time this franchise has played in a World Series, more than any franchise in this sport that isn't known as "the Yankees." And just in the first five innings of this game, Pablo Sandoval hit one more World Series homer than Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Orlando Cepeda, Will Clark, Jack Clark, Matt Williams, Jeffrey Leonard, Johnny Mize and Bobby "The Giants Win the Pennant" Thomson hit in all their various World Series combined.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2012, 08:13:38 AM
• And finally, let's factor in this game's place in Giants World Series history. This is the 19th time this franchise has played in a World Series, more than any franchise in this sport that isn't known as "the Yankees." And just in the first five innings of this game, Pablo Sandoval hit one more World Series homer than Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Orlando Cepeda, Will Clark, Jack Clark, Matt Williams, Jeffrey Leonard, Johnny Mize and Bobby "The Giants Win the Pennant" Thomson hit in all their various World Series combined.

Yeah they have won 19 pennants but the vast majority of those were before WWII, and well before any of those guys, except Mize, played.  And Mize did not even play in the WS with the Giants.  So color me less than amazed.  The Giants had a pretty miserable post-season record in SF before the last couple years.

Edit: And he did not even mention Barry Bonds the all time HR leader  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2012, 07:29:47 AM

So you were a John Kruk fan?

There are those who weren't?