News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I don't remember if it has been discussed here or not, but I am not a fan of the big champagne-spraying celebration for winning a playoff series.  Save it for the last one fellas.  It was especially weird to see it after the one game wildcard game.

derspiess

I think the rule of thumb should be that you're actually winning something substantive.  Like clinching your division, winning the NL or AL championship, or the World Series.

Having said that, it's hard for me to fault the Cards for celebrating something so improbable.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2012, 12:45:53 AM
Kind of creeps me out to know that Brian Wilson was just idly hanging out in my city.

Probably lying in bed.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Holy shit I just called that home run and my wife looked at me like she wanted to kill me.  :lol:  "Meatball by Valverde for a homer right here!" *crack* "Errr....my bad...."

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Wow, Jeter fractured his ankle.  Ouch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

That's a shame.  He's a biracial angel.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on October 13, 2012, 01:26:23 AM
Also, I can't wait for the "Only if Stephen Strausburg ..." story lines and butt hurt to start tomorrow.  None of them will realize it was Washington's offense and bullpen that cost them the series, but that will make it even better.

Yeah the Nats deserved to lose for that stupid shit.  This is the main thing I hate about the Majors, stats and metrics and pitch counts rule over common sense.  I mean do they really think they are going to have a chance to play for the World Series every year that they can just sit their best player for the post-season for no reason than some sort of stat sheet?  That shit would never happen in the NFL or even College Baseball.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2012, 01:50:40 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 13, 2012, 01:26:23 AM
Also, I can't wait for the "Only if Stephen Strausburg ..." story lines and butt hurt to start tomorrow.  None of them will realize it was Washington's offense and bullpen that cost them the series, but that will make it even better.

Yeah the Nats deserved to lose for that stupid shit.  This is the main thing I hate about the Majors, stats and metrics and pitch counts rule over common sense.  I mean do they really think they are going to have a chance to play for the World Series every year that they can just sit their best player for the post-season for no reason than some sort of stat sheet?  That shit would never happen in the NFL or even College Baseball.

I can't argue with the innings limit they put Stasburg on.  They had medical professionals who said that was what was best for him and burning him out would be a huge hit to the franchise's payroll and morale.

The thing I can't figure out is why, if he had a 180 inning limit, was he at ~150 innings in early September?  Kris Medlen, of the Braves, also missed last year because of Tommy John surgey.  They started him in the bullpen and he didn't start a game until late July and was dominating the dojo come September when the club needed him.  Too bad he still couldn't beat the Cards.  :P  The Nationals should have done something similar, or just had him skip the occasional start if they were determined to have him in the rotation all year.

I am pretty sure the Nationals had no idea they would be in this position this year, they had no idea they would be this good and that the Phillies would fall so far so fast.  This was to be a building season for them, to get ready to win the division and make a playoff run in 2013; once they realizeed they were ahead of schedule they didn't change their plan.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on October 14, 2012, 02:00:33 PM
I can't argue with the innings limit they put Stasburg on.  They had medical professionals who said that was what was best for him and burning him out would be a huge hit to the franchise's payroll and morale.

Well ok then at least try to conserve his innings than and show that the post-season really matters to you.  Shutting him down when they are obviously making a penant run just says 'yeah well wait till next year' as if you can be guaranteed there will be a next year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2012, 02:31:01 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 14, 2012, 02:00:33 PM

Well ok then at least try to conserve his innings than and show that the post-season really matters to you.  Shutting him down when they are obviously making a penant run just says 'yeah well wait till next year' as if you can be guaranteed there will be a next year.

Agreed.

And I am pretty sure I am going to be pulling for th Nats to never make the playoffs again. :blush:

sbr

Cards got the first one, and it wasn't easy.  Hopefully carp can do his thing next game.

sbr

Damn, I missed another Yankees loss?  I assumed they went every other day.

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on October 14, 2012, 10:40:58 PM
Cards got the first one, and it wasn't easy.  Hopefully carp can do his thing next game.

Nothing's ever easy.  Was thinking this was shaping up to mirror the Friday night game.  I'll take it. 

Quote from: sbr on October 14, 2012, 11:12:03 PM
Damn, I missed another Yankees loss?  I assumed they went every other day.

Same here :Embarrass:  But in my defense I was traveling today.  Thankfully was spared watching the Bengals embarrass themselves in Cleveland, but caught all the Cardinals game.

The Minsky Moment

So . . . how about that Giants-Niners game?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson