And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: katmai on October 12, 2012, 11:41:20 PM
Damn you Syt.

In the NL, I prefer the Giants over the Cards, if it makes you feel any better. Even if the Giants are playing in the wrong city. John McGraw :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

I'll take what I can get. If Cards magic continues I'm rooting for Tigers as well.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on October 13, 2012, 12:04:59 AM
I'll take what I can get. If Cards magic continues I'm rooting for Tigers as well.

DON'T BE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Naturally ESPN keeps talking about the Yanks & Sabathia.  Barely a mention of the unprecedented comeback the Cardinals staged.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2012, 12:30:04 AM

I'm hoping you get swept in NLCS.

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on October 13, 2012, 12:40:15 AM

Cards have been playing with house money for a week.  Whatever happens happens.  But that also makes them more dangerous.

Anywho, just heard a few minutes ago that the Giants had been hanging out here in Cincy waiting to find out if they needed to fly to DC or home.  Kind of creeps me out to know that Brian Wilson was just idly hanging out in my city.

katmai

:lol:
Yeah they didn't want to head home to just turn around and fly back to DC.
Fear the Beard spicy!

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on October 13, 2012, 12:49:03 AM
Fear the Beard spicy!

He's probably my kid's favorite MLB player.  Because of the beard.

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2012, 12:45:53 AM
Quote from: katmai on October 13, 2012, 12:40:15 AM

Cards have been playing with house money for a week.  Whatever happens happens.  But that also makes them more dangerous

Longer than that.  They had no business making the playoffs last year.  They had no business beating the Rangers last year.  This year they lost a Hall of Fame Manager and a Hall of Fame first baseman and they just keep rolling.

I haven't ever seen anything that compares to this run of grit, balls and luck in a team.  How many times can a team be down to their last strike and come back and win?  It really is getting absurd, but I hope it continues for another couple weeks.  :cheers:

sbr

Also, I can't wait for the "Only if Stephen Strausburg ..." story lines and butt hurt to start tomorrow.  None of them will realize it was Washington's offense and bullpen that cost them the series, but that will make it even better.

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on October 13, 2012, 01:26:23 AM
Also, I can't wait for the "Only if Stephen Strausburg ..." story lines and butt hurt to start tomorrow.  None of them will realize it was Washington's offense and bullpen that cost them the series, but that will make it even better.

Heard it on ESPN and MLB network already.  And you're absolutely right.  I think their bullpen in particular coasted, thinking they had it sewn up.  And they also lacked the extra-wide strike zone they enjoyed last night.  Boo-hoo.

Still trying to get my mind around this game.  Wow.

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2012, 01:12:37 AM
Quote from: katmai on October 13, 2012, 12:49:03 AM
Fear the Beard spicy!

He's probably my kid's favorite MLB player.  Because of the beard.

Certainly the best beard since Rollie Fingers. Perhaps tied with Al Hrabosky.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: sbr on October 13, 2012, 01:26:23 AM
what if they had used him for relief those last few innings ala Timmy L.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2012, 11:17:47 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was too wrapped up in my blanket with the cat to get up off the sofa, but I sensed a disturbance inside the Beltway, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

That shit was fucking hilarious.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2012, 12:30:56 AM
Naturally ESPN keeps talking about the Yanks & Sabathia.  Barely a mention of the unprecedented comeback the Cardinals staged.

Well, duh.  When it comes to baseball, ESPN might as well patch in a direct feed from the YES Network.