News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Re: the Tigers ALCS sweep, the MLB channel showed a graphic that listed the last 5 teams to sweep the LCS.  Only one of them went on to win the World Series.  Momentum and continuity are huge in the postseason.  Too easy to get cold if you wrap up the LCS too early.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 18, 2012, 11:57:28 PM
Re: the Tigers ALCS sweep, the MLB channel showed a graphic that listed the last 5 teams to sweep the LCS.  Only one of them went on to win the World Series.  Momentum and continuity are huge in the postseason.  Too easy to get cold if you wrap up the LCS too early.

If the Cards wrap it up tonight I don't think the whole extra day is going to kill the Tigers.  Hopefully none of their pitchers will injure themselves playing Guitar Hero this time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2012, 09:00:09 AM

If the Cards wrap it up tonight I don't think the whole extra day is going to kill the Tigers.  Hopefully none of their pitchers will injure themselves playing Guitar Hero this time.

That's true.  I guess deep down I'm expecting the Giants to win tonight.  Lance Lynn is pitching and he got shelled by them in Game 1.

But there's one thing we can be sure of:  when the WS starts next Wednesday the baseball media will still be talking about A-Rod more than either of the teams that are actually playing :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I don't get the A-Rod Controversy.  He has a long history of this sort of thing, Torre used to move do things like have him bat 7th in the post season because he has a tendency to go ice cold when the games mean alot.  So after all these years why is this still a story?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2012, 11:07:46 AM
I don't get the A-Rod Controversy.  He has a long history of this sort of thing, Torre used to move do things like have him bat 7th in the post season because he has a tendency to go ice cold when the games mean alot.  So after all these years why is this still a story?

Because the Yankees are out of the playoffs and New York sportswriters need something Yankee-related to write about. 

IF they're not still talking about A-Rod next Wednesday and if it ends up being a Cards-Tigers series, the story will be about how boring a Series it is because neither coast is represented.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2012, 11:21:35 AM
Because the Yankees are out of the playoffs and New York sportswriters need something Yankee-related to write about. 

IF they're not still talking about A-Rod next Wednesday and if it ends up being a Cards-Tigers series, the story will be about how boring a Series it is because neither coast is represented.

I find that hard to believe the Cards and Tigers have a long history together.

Valmy

Speaking of Tigers-Cards I remember sitting next to this guy at a UT football game in 2006 and my Dad and I were discussing the Tigers-Cards World Series that year.  So the guy turns to us and says he is a huge Cardinals fan and how he went and saw Curt Flood speak in 1993 and after the speech there was an autograph session.  So the dude gets something signed and mentions how he was at Game 7 of the 1968 series and before he could even finish his sentence Flood competely loses it, he starts screaming at him and telling him to get the hell out there.  Man even 25 years later that really bugged him.

Forgive me if I have mentioned that story before.  :P

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2012, 10:27:04 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2012, 09:00:09 AM

That's true.  I guess deep down I'm expecting the Giants to win tonight.  Lance Lynn is pitching and he got shelled by them in Game 1.

yeah but think Zito is starting for Giants so push. :lol: :cry:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Minsky Moment

Torre dropped him low but didn't bench him outright.
I agree though this is only a story because it involves ARod and because of the east coast media interest.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2012, 11:32:15 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2012, 11:21:35 AM

I find that hard to believe the Cards and Tigers have a long history together.

I agree with you, but just going by past experiences with World Series matchups not involving a team from either coast, sportswriters in NY and LA will be much less enthused over a Cardinals-Tigers series.  Whereas had it been Yanks-Giants it'd be a circus, and not just because of Brian Wilson's zaniness.

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2012, 11:37:25 AM
Speaking of Tigers-Cards I remember sitting next to this guy at a UT football game in 2006 and my Dad and I were discussing the Tigers-Cards World Series that year.  So the guy turns to us and says he is a huge Cardinals fan and how he went and saw Curt Flood speak in 1993 and after the speech there was an autograph session.  So the dude gets something signed and mentions how he was at Game 7 of the 1968 series and before he could even finish his sentence Flood competely loses it, he starts screaming at him and telling him to get the hell out there.  Man even 25 years later that really bugged him.

Forgive me if I have mentioned that story before.  :P

Awesome.  Flood was a hell of a competitor, and his screwup in that Game 7 must have haunted him for the rest of his life.

Seems like the old-timers generally carried a much greater (or at least longer lasting) passion for the game than the players of today.  When I was a kid, dad always took me to autograph signings (more as a mule to get more stuff signed than anything else, though he'd never admit to that) and the old guys would always talk about the game as if they were playing it just yesterday. 

I remember Cool Papa Bell trying to give me some hitting advice when I had him sign something at a Negro League event.  Hell of a nice guy but I could barely understand what he was saying :Embarrass:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2012, 02:11:06 PM
Seems like the old-timers generally carried a much greater (or at least longer lasting) passion for the game than the players of today.

Don't know about that - watching Smoltz work the playoff games he seemed to have some very vivid recollections of his Braves heydey and the 90s.  Ken Singleton who now does TV work for the Yankees is the same way - he recalls specific games and even at bats he had in the 70s.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2012, 02:18:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2012, 02:11:06 PM
Seems like the old-timers generally carried a much greater (or at least longer lasting) passion for the game than the players of today.

Don't know about that - watching Smoltz work the playoff games he seemed to have some very vivid recollections of his Braves heydey and the 90s.  Ken Singleton who now does TV work for the Yankees is the same way - he recalls specific games and even at bats he had in the 70s.

But that demonstrates their memory.  Valmy's anecdote about Flood demonstrates passion.  Though I'll admit my contribution seemed to support the memory side of it.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2012, 01:58:52 PM

Torre dropped him low but didn't bench him outright.
I agree though this is only a story because it involves ARod and because of the east coast media interest.

I don't like how the Yankees handled the ARod thing. I know he was playing poorly, but the whole "ARod chokes in the postseason" thing is way overdone--his numbers in the postseason are good (if behind the regular season) and he has had some big series. The Yankees really needed production from him, and putting him on the bench against RHP isn't going to let him work through the slump. It was as though the Yankees bought into the media myth that the guy can't play in the post season.

Though I don't know how the story leaked, I also don't like the story about him getting the lady's phone number during the game. It comes across as a "dump on the exiting players/managers once the season has crapped out" deal that the Red Sox perfected the past couple years.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I will add the caveat that I exclude game 5 against the Orioles from that. It is a tough call, but in a do or die game I understand sitting a slumping player.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2012, 02:41:22 PM
I don't like how the Yankees handled the ARod thing. I know he was playing poorly, but the whole "ARod chokes in the postseason" thing is way overdone--his numbers in the postseason are good (if behind the regular season) and he has had some big series. The Yankees really needed production from him, and putting him on the bench against RHP isn't going to let him work through the slump.

But both Chavez and Ibanez were better hitters against righties during the season, and there was some reason to believe that nagging injuries were hampering Rodriguez' performance at the end of the year.  There was a legit reason to sit him.  The messaging could have been much better.
--Joan Robinson