Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 21, 2012, 12:37:50 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 21, 2012, 12:33:59 PM
Quote from: dps on September 21, 2012, 12:27:09 PM
The Cardinals, not the Mets, are, in a sense, the closest thing the National League has to the Yankees.

Not that I personally buy into the Yankee hate, but I understand why it exists.

The Yankees dominate, the Cardinals are first among equals. And of course the city of St. Louis doesn't put on the airs New York does.

Well the St. Louis air has the stale beer smell of the Bronx, but is missing the full cocktail of smog and fresh urine, so I guess that's right.

I kinda miss the stale beer + faint cigarette smoke smell of Riverfront Stadium :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on September 24, 2012, 08:54:22 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 24, 2012, 08:46:28 AM
Today's the anniversary of the most egregious crime in post-war baseball:  on this day in 1957, the Dodgers left Brooklyn.
And let us celebrate by hoping they don't make the playoffs again this year.

Sounds good to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Today's the anniversary of the most egregious crime in post-war baseball:  on this day in 1957, the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

After looking over the evidence I think the main culprit is the City of New York.  They never did give a crap about Brooklyn.

O'Malley wanted to build the new Stadium in Brooklyn, entirely with private money no less, and NYC blocked him at every turn.  They just ran the Giants and Dodgers out of town so far as I can see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

If Brooklyn wanted its own sports teams, they shouldn't have let NYC annex them in the first place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2012, 09:12:48 AM

After looking over the evidence I think the main culprit is the City of New York.  They never did give a crap about Brooklyn.

O'Malley wanted to build the new Stadium in Brooklyn, entirely with private money no less, and NYC blocked him at every turn.  They just ran the Giants and Dodgers out of town so far as I can see.

That would be correct.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 24, 2012, 09:18:52 AM
If Brooklyn wanted its own sports teams, they shouldn't have let NYC annex them in the first place.

But Brooklyn now has its own sports team. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2012, 10:23:55 AM
But Brooklyn now has its own sports team. :mellow:

No, it has a stadium for a New York team.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

NM, thought you were talking about the Mets, who are apparently based in Queens.

Valmy

The Yankees just keep winning.  That extra inning miracle against the A's was especially infuriating.  Man come on fall apart Bombers what is this shit?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Andy Pettite has pitched 11 scoreless innings since returning from injury.  He is also averaging over 8Ks per 9IP; not bad for a 40 year old.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2012, 09:12:48 AM

I've read that O'Malley cried when he found out the details of the agreement the city had with the Mets over Shea Stadium when that venue's construction was approved.  The Mets got more that he had ever asked for and he told associates that if he had gotten anything approaching that deal he would have never even considered moving the team.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 25, 2012, 12:12:55 PM
I've read that O'Malley cried when he found out the details of the agreement the city had with the Mets over Shea Stadium when that venue's construction was approved.  The Mets got more that he had ever asked for and he told associates that if he had gotten anything approaching that deal he would have never even considered moving the team.

I know it was really horriblely done by the City.  They could have kept both the Giants (well the Giants would have had to be moved out of Manhattan) and Dodgers for far less than they gave up to get the Mets.  Both clubs were in an impossible position and had no choice but to go. 

The Minsky Moment

That's nonsense, as is much of the pro-O'Malley spin in this thread.

O'Malley wanted build a stadium at Flatbush and Atlantic, i.e. basically where the new arena was just built for the Nets.  But that would have required the City to condemn private land Kelo-style and incur massive expenses to relocate rail facilitites at the location: even Robert Moses wasn't prepared to do that just so that the Dodgers could build a new baseball park.   O'Malley did raise the idea of a Flushing Meadow site with Moses, and Moses, with his characteristic energy, came up with a construction plan including the possibility of a domed stadium.  But by that time, O'Malley was far along with his LA negotiations, and pulled out of the Queens project with the lame excuse that the Dodgers were too associated with Brooklyn to move to Queens.

For some reason, revisionist history has come to dominate, perhaps because O'Malley's friends and allies have been happy to tell his side of the story over the years, and perhaps also because the name Robert Moses has (justifiably but for other reasons) become synonymous for high-handedness and disastrous social engineering through city planning, making him the perfect foil to take on the villain's role.  The reality was that O'Malley was a sharp businessman who became the first to play the now familiar game of playing hardball with city officials by playing one city off against another.  He used the Queens alternative to get sweetheart terms from LA, simple as that. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2012, 01:41:38 PM

That's nonsense, as is much of the pro-O'Malley spin in this thread.

O'Malley wanted build a stadium at Flatbush and Atlantic, i.e. basically where the new arena was just built for the Nets.  But that would have required the City to condemn private land Kelo-style and incur massive expenses to relocate rail facilitites at the location: even Robert Moses wasn't prepared to do that just so that the Dodgers could build a new baseball park.   O'Malley did raise the idea of a Flushing Meadow site with Moses, and Moses, with his characteristic energy, came up with a construction plan including the possibility of a domed stadium.  But by that time, O'Malley was far along with his LA negotiations, and pulled out of the Queens project with the lame excuse that the Dodgers were too associated with Brooklyn to move to Queens.

For some reason, revisionist history has come to dominate, perhaps because O'Malley's friends and allies have been happy to tell his side of the story over the years, and perhaps also because the name Robert Moses has (justifiably but for other reasons) become synonymous for high-handedness and disastrous social engineering through city planning, making him the perfect foil to take on the villain's role.  The reality was that O'Malley was a sharp businessman who became the first to play the now familiar game of playing hardball with city officials by playing one city off against another.  He used the Queens alternative to get sweetheart terms from LA, simple as that. 

Don't know;  I wasn't there.  I've read things spun both ways.  To be honest, I don't really care, because I don't have a dog in this fight.  I do know that he got a very nice deal from LA.