News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 21, 2012, 11:39:53 AM
You need an Expos powder blue shirt. That's the way to go.

LOL, The Hawk, baby.

Poor Expos.  Best World Series team there never was.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2012, 11:34:19 AM
Excluded by default are Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Cardinals.

Why the Cards hate?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I dunno - just don't like them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

The Cardinals, not the Mets, are, in a sense, the closest thing the National League has to the Yankees.

Not that I personally buy into the Yankee hate, but I understand why it exists.

Syt

I don't like the Yankees much, but on on top of that 80-90% of gear over here (95% of said gear again will be baseball caps with the occasional jacket or t-shirt in between) will have the Yankees' NY logo on it, so I don't see the point to add to the masses.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2012, 12:22:56 PM
I dunno - just don't like them.

They're one of the top franchises in all of MLB.  But if you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em I guess.  Personally, I'd like to get me an extreme retro 1927-style jersey that had "World Champions" stitched around the logo.  Apparently that pissed some other teams off that year.

I would suggest including something from the mid to late 1970s Reds in your collection.  I'm not a Reds fan myself, but you gotzta respect The Big Red Machine.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on September 21, 2012, 12:27:09 PM
The Cardinals, not the Mets, are, in a sense, the closest thing the National League has to the Yankees.

The Yankees dominate, the Cardinals are first among equals. And of course the city of St. Louis doesn't put on the airs New York does.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Oh yeah, Cards are definitely the Yankees of the National League.  Always been a fan.  :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Well, part of it is probably that the Cards are the dominating division rival of the Pirates. Astros, Cubs match-ups can go either way, Brewers have their ups and downs, and so do the Reds. Though with Pujols gone, things have eased up a bit. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 21, 2012, 12:33:59 PM

The Yankees dominate, the Cardinals are first among equals. And of course the city of St. Louis doesn't put on the airs New York does.

Well the St. Louis air has the stale beer smell of the Bronx, but is missing the full cocktail of smog and fresh urine, so I guess that's right.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

daveracher

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2012, 11:48:48 AM
I know - they're expensive, though.

I rock the Hawk. Don't know how legit mine is, it having come from the bowels of the Peoples Republic and for less than 30 bucks. But it came with labels and price tags from Mitchell and Ness and it hasnt fallen to pieces.
Birdman of Burlington

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2012, 10:45:18 AM
On a related, but not baseball, note, I've been contemplating trying to find an old Thrashers jersey, which might be fun to wear to a game now and then. :hmm:

Not sure how hard it'd be to find.
http://www.jerseys3w.com/nhl-jerseys-atlanta-thrashers-c-2991_3032.html
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Today's the anniversary of the most egregious crime in post-war baseball:  on this day in 1957, the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 24, 2012, 08:46:28 AM
Today's the anniversary of the most egregious crime in post-war baseball:  on this day in 1957, the Dodgers left Brooklyn.
And let us celebrate by hoping they don't make the playoffs again this year.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son