News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

All this talking about George Brett has gotten me nostalgic, and then in turn pissed off.

Baseball is a great game, with a ton of history.  The Royals were a franchise that was phenomenally successful for an expansion franchise.  But of course now MLB is quite content to have small market teams like the Royals just sit and develop prospects for the big-market franchises.  :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2012, 02:55:28 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2012, 02:33:05 PM
Matt Williams with John McGraw 2nd Duh Derspicy.

:rolleyes:  Those guys weren't Cardinals.

A plus in my book.  :)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2012, 03:01:34 PM
Baseball is a great game, with a ton of history.  The Royals were a franchise that was phenomenally successful for an expansion franchise.  But of course now MLB is quite content to have small market teams like the Royals just sit and develop prospects for the big-market franchises.  :mad:

That's what happens when you let the ownership inmates run the league asylum.

derspiess

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 01, 2012, 02:53:45 PM
the Tribe Fanclub (best deal in baseball!). :)

That is a pretty sweet deal if you like the Indians.

For me, it's hard to beat the Reds Heads club for kids. 

For $25 you get a mid-level ticket to 4 different games, vouchers for player autograph sessions & other events, a backpack, hat, jersey, and a pair of sunglasses.  The tickets alone are worth $24 each.

So I signed up Tommy for the second year & added Lola, who just turned 1-year old a couple weeks ago.  For $50 I got $192 worth of tickets & gave the extra swag to my nephew.

Only downside is that my kid likes wearing that damned Reds hat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2012, 03:05:25 PM

:nelson:

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2012, 03:05:25 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 01, 2012, 02:53:45 PM
the Tribe Fanclub (best deal in baseball!). :)

That is a pretty sweet deal if you like the Indians.

For me, it's hard to beat the Reds Heads club for kids. 

For $25 you get a mid-level ticket to 4 different games, vouchers for player autograph sessions & other events, a backpack, hat, jersey, and a pair of sunglasses.  The tickets alone are worth $24 each.

So I signed up Tommy for the second year & added Lola, who just turned 1-year old a couple weeks ago.  For $50 I got $192 worth of tickets & gave the extra swag to my nephew.

Wow.  That is pretty damn good.  I looked at the "Yankees Universe" one out of amusement.  They certainly don't need help drawing fans or people to hop on their bandwagon, so appropriately their offer sucks.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

derspiess

I may try to go to an Indians game this season.  Of all the stadiums I've been to thus far, I've never seen a baseball game in Cleveland
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2012, 03:33:01 PM
I may try to go to an Indians game this season.  Of all the stadiums I've been to thus far, I've never seen a baseball game in Cleveland

You've been to Camden Yards, right?  Same thing, just hold up a mirror, since it's reversed carbon copy.

katmai

I've been  outside it, but yeah still need to catch game in SF at whatever Corporation owns the current naming rights Park.

Sophie Scholl

I'll be going July 22nd, 23rd, and 24th (O's twice, Tigers once).  It's a nice stadium, though my experience is a bit limited.  Be sure to swing by Your Dad's Beer for some amusing throwback options that are cheap for a stadium.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on May 01, 2012, 02:28:52 PM
This has Robinson 4th behind Schmidt Brett and Eddie Matthews.

Just sayin'.

http://baseball.about.com/od/majorleaguehistory/tp/Top-10-Third-Basemen-In-Major-League-Baseball-History.htm

Kind of surprised Pie Traynor ranks so low, being the best 3rd baseman of Baseball's Golden Age.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2012, 02:25:45 PM
Still better than the 1 for 19 stinker in choking to METS your guy did.... :sleep:

That was different.  The Mets had magical powers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Thinking about the Brooks issue . . .

Earl Weaver liked pitchers that threw strikes but weren't overpowering and kept the ball down.  His teams often challenged for the leaders in fewest runs allowed, but less often in pitcher strikeouts.  So despite his love for 3-run homers, he stocked his infields with guys like Belanger, Grich and Dauer who could vacuum up ground balls.  Brooks fit perfectly into that concept.  So while his value in the abstract might not be as great as Mathews or Boggs, his value to that particular team was very high.  I don't think his skill set would be as valuable in the present day, where strikeouts more common and bunts a lot less common.  But he didn't play today, he played in the 60s and 70s backing up finesse guys like McNally and Cueller and Flanagan, and in that context he was very valuable.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2012, 03:36:41 PM

You've been to Camden Yards, right?

Hellz yeah.  Used to go down there for at least a couple games per year when I lived in Delawhere.  Also went there during the inaugural season. 

QuoteSame thing, just hold up a mirror, since it's reversed carbon copy.

Cool.  Still want to go so I can check that one off on my list.  Also, according to my ESPN Passport, there are 4 MLB teams I haven't yet seen play.  Would like to get one of those taken care of this year as well.

Valmy

I have so many great memories of going to Camden Yards in the early 90s.  The place would always be sold out and the atmosphere would be electric.  My last couple trips sort of remind me of attending a minor league game in Round Rock.  *sigh*