News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

It also provides plenty of opportunities for the NY media to mock Boston.

See, e.g.,

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on April 22, 2012, 10:48:50 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 22, 2012, 07:02:20 AM
The Red Sox troubles please me.

Me too.  I hate the Yankees more, but Red Sox Nation's tears are scrumptious.
:cry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I despise everything from New Yawk as well, but nobody is obnoxious as the Red Sox, and watching them flip the fuck out over the Yankee supremacy over them is fucking hilarious.

sbr

Micheal Pineda, the Yankees' newest young ace-in-waiting is out for the season with a torn labrum.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2012, 12:33:49 AM
Red Sox look terrible. :(

Well you had to suspect once they fired Francona there was going to be a difficult few years while they try to find somebody good to replace him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

stjaba

Since I know we have a couple Orioles fans here....

The good news for Orioles fans:

The Orioles are currently tied for first place in the AL East with an  14-8 record.

The bad news for Orioles fans:

The Orioles started 6-1 in 2011, 6-2 in '09, 6-1 in '08, 11-7 in '07 and 20-9 in '05.  :P Starting today, they play three games in New York and three in Boston, followed by nine at home against the Rangers, Rays and Yankees.

I got this info from: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/baltimore-orioles-hot-start-al-east-yankees-rays-notes-042912

CountDeMoney

Who cares.  The Orioles simply take up good parking space for the Ravens stadium.

Until Peter Asbestos sells that team (which he will never do, and his sons are bigger baseball morons than he is), they're doomed to be Double A.

Valmy

We are a beaten down and demoralized fanbase without hope it will take more than a few wins in April to get us smiling.

Consider: knocking off the Red Sox last year was literally the only memorable thing the Orioles had done since the collapse of '05.  And the 2005 season was the only the only memorable thing to happen since Cal Ripken Jr was MVP of the 2001 All Star Game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2012, 01:25:29 AM
We are a beaten down and demoralized fanbase without hope it will take more than a few wins in April to get us smiling.

Consider: knocking off the Red Sox last year was literally the only memorable thing the Orioles had done since the collapse of '05.  And the 2005 season was the only the only memorable thing to happen since Cal Ripken Jr was MVP of the 2001 All Star Game.
Try being a Royals fan like Beeb and I. :cry:  There's a reason I adopted the Tribe as a secondary team (first place! :cool:).
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2012, 07:12:28 PM

Didn't you learn last year that April games mean squat?

Boston is now at .500 and only 3.5 back.  With 140 to play.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: stjaba on April 30, 2012, 08:09:29 PM
Since I know we have a couple Orioles fans here....

The good news for Orioles fans:

The Orioles are currently tied for first place in the AL East with an  14-8 record.

The bad news for Orioles fans:

I saw the game last night - the Orioles lost but they were very sharp - good pitching, nice defense from Jones, hustle from Reimold.  Their lineup and starting rotation consists entirely of guys in their mid to late 20s, i.e. in their peak years.  I don't think they have a chance in hell to finish at .600 but respectability is within reach.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 01, 2012, 12:01:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2012, 07:12:28 PM

Didn't you learn last year that April games mean squat?

Boston is now at .500 and only 3.5 back.  With 140 to play.

Depends on how you look at it.  The 1990 Reds won their division pretty much due to their dominance in April.  IIRC, they went .500 the rest of the year.  And then proceeded to unexpectedly sweep the A's in the Series.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 01, 2012, 02:32:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2012, 01:25:29 AM

Try being a Royals fan like Beeb and I. :cry:  There's a reason I adopted the Tribe as a secondary team (first place! :cool:).

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

I still not sure how you dorks picked the Royals, i mean i guess Beeb is old enough to have bandwagonned on when they were good, but wtf is your excuse BA?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2012, 01:09:55 PM
I still not sure how you dorks picked the Royals, i mean i guess Beeb is old enough to have bandwagonned on when they were good, but wtf is your excuse BA?

When I was very, very little my parents put a Royals hat on my head, and for the next decade or more I was rarely seen without a Royals hat.  Plus I was 10 when they won that one World Series, and George Brett is a God amongst men.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.