And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2012, 09:49:17 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 11:54:56 AM
Speaking of Castro, it seems like Ozzie Guillen still can't keep his mouth shut :lol:

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/04/07/miami-marlins-manager-apologizes-for-saying-he-loves-fidel-castro/

And now he's suspended.  :(  MLB should be ashamed of itself.

It's the Marlins who should be ashamed--the team suspended him, not MLB.

Valmy

The Marlins are betting everything on the Cuban expats.  They moved the stadium into a Cuban neighborhood and have been making efforts to appeal to the Latino types.  Among these efforts, hilariously, were hiring Guillen in the first place.  The Marlins probably should understand that the Latinos are not exactly a united community and hiring a South American might not evoke squees from little Havana.

But anyway if there was one minority group he most certainly could not piss off it was the Cubans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2012, 01:39:30 PM
But anyway if there was one minority group he most certainly could not piss off it was the anti-Castro Cubans.  All 7 of them.

Fidel said to fix yer post.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2012, 11:59:41 AM
Interesting article about the guy who pioneered baseball computer simulations:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7793059/john-burgeson-ibm-computer-start-baseball-video-games

That was a good article, thanks for posting that.

QuoteI remember listening to an "all-time greats" simulated game in the early 80s that was broadcast over the radio as if it were a live game.  Not long after that, Dad got us a computer game called "Baseball's Best" that let you do it yourself (you could even enter and save additional players, which was a cool feature), and had cheesy animations for the plays.

Then MicroLeague came out, which was the gold standard for a few years, even though the version we had lacked any kind of editor and we had to buy years/teams if we wanted to stay current.  I have several teams' 1985 rosters still emblazoned in my memory thanks to playing that game over & over.
Good times...

Hell, I remember old magazines like SPORT that used to have classified ads for fantasy baseball, you'd have to send away for the kits or they'd do the compilations for you via snail mail.

LOL, 1985...my first Strat-O-Matic season with my AD&D group.  I had the Mets.

derspiess

My brother & I played Strat-O-Matic football.  I think he ended up buying WVU & a few SEC & Big 8 teams.  I usually played as Georgia or Oklahoma because he'd never let me be WVU.

But when we got Computer Quarterback (what a name) from SSI for C-64, we never looked back. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Speaking of college football, we wore out Avalon Hill's Bowl Bound;  sure we didn't know who the hell was on any of those teams from the 60s, but didn't care either.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

So somehow the Reds-Cards game did not get shown here.  It usually airs on Fox Sports Ohio but the MLB Network had "Reds-Cards or Yankees-Orioles" listed.  So I watched that game while listening to Reds-Cards on the radio (which is torture for me-- I hate Marty Brennaman with a passion and every time I hear Jeff Brantley's voice I think of his disastrous 1998 season with the Cards). 

Yanks-O's turned out to be a good game.  Currently bottom of the 10th, tied up at 4-4.

And the Cardinals beat the Reds.  Tommy & I might take brooms with us to tomorrow afternoon's game :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2012, 09:56:43 PM
Yanks-O's turned out to be a good game.  Currently bottom of the 10th, tied up at 4-4.

:w00t: Did they win?!

*checks*

Oh of course they didn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2012, 11:52:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2012, 09:56:43 PM

:w00t: Did they win?!

*checks*

Oh of course they didn't.

Maybe in another parallel universe they did, where Jim Palmer has a goatee and Brooks runs around shirtless with a rapier.

sbr

People are saying this is the best 'Spiderman' catch ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtEOFBuziUs#ws

It is pretty good but I have to go with Otis 'My Man' Nixon.  Sorry Syt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_f0rqVrkvc#ws

Syt

I think the Jap one is more spectacular.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2012, 10:27:40 PM
I think the Jap one is more spectacular.

He went higher up on the wall but Nixon covered a lot more ground to get where he caught the ball.  I also saw the Nixon one live, so I am a bit biased.

derspiess

Cards won an extra innings pitchers' duel last night vs. the Reds, 2-1.  I was worried when it went into extra innings, but then realized that the Reds only tend to win it in the 9th or later if they're at home. 

According to my ESPN passport the Cards have lost the last 7 or 8 games of theirs I've attended, including last Wednesday's game.  I knew I was bad luck for them, but that's ridiculous.

Also, the MLB Strike Zone channel kicks ass.  Looks like it only runs Tuesday and Friday evenings, but you get constant live look-ins on all games being played, with zero commercials.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2012, 11:28:58 AM
Also, the MLB Strike Zone channel kicks ass.

It certainly does.