Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Hey Valmy, I dug this out just for you

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 01, 2012, 02:07:46 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2012, 01:09:55 PM
I still not sure how you dorks picked the Royals, i mean i guess Beeb is old enough to have bandwagonned on when they were good, but wtf is your excuse BA?
I grew up in a Yankee household (aka an older sister and dad who were and are diehard Yankees fans and a mom who doesn't care) as a Rickey Henderson fan.  My loyalties went with him till he hit the Angels in '97.  Getting sick of just getting to know a team and then having be traded yet again, I decided to pick one team and run with them as my primary team while still being a Henderson fan.  Growing up in a Yankee household, I was partial to the American League, and I didn't want to bandwagon onto a popular team, so I narrowed it down to two teams in need of fans: the Tigers and the Royals.  I flipped a coin on it which came up heads, and I've been a Royals fan ever since.  I've witnessed one .500 or better season since then. :XD:

:tinfoil:

You know you can pick a new team.

Me, I just gave up following baseball.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2012, 02:14:33 PM
I've witnessed one .500 or better season since then. :XD:

Once more than the Orioles have had since 1997.
Ah, but if you include '97 you have a trip to the ALCS.  One in '96 as well.  The Royals haven't made the playoffs since '85, let alone advance.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2012, 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 01, 2012, 02:14:22 PM
He may be in the top 5 but Brett and Schmidt are so far ahead of whoever might be in 3rd place i never really considered it.

16 Gold Gloves say otherwise -_-

What was his batting %? :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

All glove and no stick does not make one the greatest :rolleyes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Yeah where was your GOAT Mike Schmidt in the '83 series eh?

That's right...going 1 for 16.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2012, 02:23:07 PM
Yeah where was your GOAT Mike Schmidt in the '83 series eh?

That's right...going 1 for 16.

Still better than the 1 for 19 stinker in choking to METS your guy did.... :sleep:

sbr

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on May 01, 2012, 02:28:52 PM
This has Robinson 4th behind Schmidt Brett and Eddie Matthews.

Just sayin'.

http://baseball.about.com/od/majorleaguehistory/tp/Top-10-Third-Basemen-In-Major-League-Baseball-History.htm

The answer is: Ken Boyer.  With Scott Rolen running a close second :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2012, 02:31:10 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 01, 2012, 02:28:52 PM
This has Robinson 4th behind Schmidt Brett and Eddie Matthews.

Just sayin'.

http://baseball.about.com/od/majorleaguehistory/tp/Top-10-Third-Basemen-In-Major-League-Baseball-History.htm

The answer is: Ken Boyer.  With Scott Rolen running a close second :P
Matt Williams with John McGraw 2nd Duh Derspicy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2012, 02:20:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2012, 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 01, 2012, 02:14:22 PM
He may be in the top 5 but Brett and Schmidt are so far ahead of whoever might be in 3rd place i never really considered it.

16 Gold Gloves say otherwise -_-

What was his batting %? :contract:

It's very hard to hit while wearing a gold glove.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Fangraphs has the following Top 5 by Wins Above Replacement:  Schmidt, Mathews, Boggs, Robinson, Brett  (ARod excluded).
Chipper Jones is close behind at #6 and still gaining.  A big chunck of Brooks' value is defense which is hard to measure so arguments could be made to push him up ro down.  Brett is knocked down due to spending a lot of time at 1B.

--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2012, 02:20:05 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2012, 01:09:55 PM
I still not sure how you dorks picked the Royals, i mean i guess Beeb is old enough to have bandwagonned on when they were good, but wtf is your excuse BA?
I grew up in a Yankee household (aka an older sister and dad who were and are diehard Yankees fans and a mom who doesn't care) as a Rickey Henderson fan.  My loyalties went with him till he hit the Angels in '97.  Getting sick of just getting to know a team and then having be traded yet again, I decided to pick one team and run with them as my primary team while still being a Henderson fan.  Growing up in a Yankee household, I was partial to the American League, and I didn't want to bandwagon onto a popular team, so I narrowed it down to two teams in need of fans: the Tigers and the Royals.  I flipped a coin on it which came up heads, and I've been a Royals fan ever since.  I've witnessed one .500 or better season since then. :XD:

:tinfoil:

You know you can pick a new team.

Me, I just gave up following baseball.
I did somewhat.  I picked up the Cleveland Indians at the end of the '10 season.  They've been far more impressive and fun to watch.  The team plays with a lot more heart and their stadium is closer and more reachable for road trips for me.  I'll be heading back there this year actually for a three game set with some friends, all using free tickets I've won from or received for joining the Tribe Fanclub (best deal in baseball!). :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2012, 02:33:05 PM
Matt Williams with John McGraw 2nd Duh Derspicy.

:rolleyes:  Those guys weren't Cardinals.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall