News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Cards are really kicking the shit out the Pirates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2012, 07:22:55 PM
Johnny Bench was mean to me.

Johnny Bench is mean to everybody.

When we made a road trip to Cooperstown a few years ago, I was outside catching a smoke and talking to one of the ushers, one of the retired old-timer types.  I asked him about some of the HOFers, and which ones were the best and worst to deal with.
He said, hands down, Johnny Bench is the nastiest, meanest HOFer that ever stops by.  "He made a high school intern girl cry once.  Who does that?"

Said Reggie Jackson was a right dickhead, too.

His favorite?  Hank Aaron. Says that guy remembers the names of peoples' kids he meets.  Said he's one of the biggest sweeties ever, right after ol' Yogi.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2012, 10:37:14 PM
When we made a road trip to Cooperstown a few years ago, I was outside catching a smoke and talking to one of the ushers, one of the retired old-timer types.  I asked him about some of the HOFers, and which ones were the best and worst to deal with.

He said, hands down, Johnny Bench is the nastiest, meanest HOFer that ever stops by.  "He made a high school intern girl cry once.  Who does that?"

Did you have the decency to look embarrassed after he asked that question?

Anyways, Youklis is down on the 15 day DL and this guy is being called up in his stead. Looks good.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/5/3/2994459/prospect-of-the-day-will-middlebrooks-3b-boston-red-sox
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 03, 2012, 06:45:03 AM
Did you have the decency to look embarrassed after he asked that question?

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2012, 08:50:33 PM
Carlos Beltran is a friggin' stud.  Through the first three innings vs. Pittsburgh he's 3 for 3 with 2 HR and 7 RBI.  Cards are up 12-1.

Pittsburgh :lol:

Yup, total Burnett meltdown.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2012, 07:22:55 PM
Johnny Bench was mean to me.

Johnny Bench is mean to everybody.

His favorite?  Hank Aaron. Says that guy remembers the names of peoples' kids he meets.  Said he's one of the biggest sweeties ever, right after ol' Yogi.

I've "met" a few retired MLB greats (mostly at autograph tables & whatnot), and by far the coolest has been Frank Robinson.  I was talking to him at a Miami hotel when he managed the Nationals, and didn't even realize who he was until halfway through the conversation. 

George Foster would be a close second.  Pretty funny guy to boot.

When I was really young I got to meet several old Negro League players.  Cool Papa Bell talked to me for a little while and I think he was trying to give me batting advice, but I could barely understand what he was saying  :Embarrass:

One guy who sounds like he'd be a total ass would be Oil Can Boyd:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7882484/dennis-oil-boyd-wrong-jackie-robinson
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I wonder how a guy like Ty Cobb would deal with the media circus of today.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2012, 09:54:02 AM

He'd spike them with his cleats.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 03, 2012, 09:56:53 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2012, 09:54:02 AM

He'd spike them with his cleats.

Amen.

derspiess

So a little over a month into the season and the two hottest teams in terms of Runs scored/allowed differential are: St. Louis (+65) and Texas (+49)

Valmy

Are we bound for a rematch?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2012, 10:00:53 AM
Are we bound for a rematch?

Doubt it-- the Cards have to come back down to earth at some point.  But it's interesting to see both teams continuing to do well.

stjaba

Quote from: derspiess on May 03, 2012, 10:00:18 AM
So a little over a month into the season and the two hottest teams in terms of Runs scored/allowed differential are: St. Louis (+65) and Texas (+49)

Looks like St. Louis is better off without Albert Pujols. His stat line so far is 208/252/539 with 0 homeruns, which is pathetic. There's been rumors going around for a while that he's older than his listed age, I wonder if his decline is evidence of that.

The funny thing is that the conventional wisdom after his off-season deal was announced was that Pujols's production might get close to matching the value of the contract for the first couple years, but that would taper off. Instead, right of the bat his production hasn't been there at all. It's true that it's still early in the season, but his numbers have been declining for years. The Cardinals were smart to not give him an expensive extension.

derspiess

Quote from: stjaba on May 03, 2012, 10:23:00 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 03, 2012, 10:00:18 AM

Looks like St. Louis is better off without Albert Pujols. His stat line so far is 208/252/539 with 0 homeruns, which is pathetic. There's been rumors going around for a while that he's older than his listed age, I wonder if his decline is evidence of that.

The funny thing is that the conventional wisdom after his off-season deal was announced was that Pujols's production might get close to matching the value of the contract for the first couple years, but that would taper off. Instead, right of the bat his production hasn't been there at all. It's true that it's still early in the season, but his numbers have been declining for years. The Cardinals were smart to not give him an expensive extension.

I would have expected a slight dip in production as he adjusts to AL pitching, but shit-- flirting with the Mendoza line and 0 home runs thus far?

During the off-season I joked that the Cards were right to let him go since he had his first sub-.300 season last year (he was actually .300 before the last game of the regular season but went 1 for 4 IIRC and dropped to .299).  At least after the first month, they are better off without him, as much as it pains me to say.

Pujols is still probably my favorite player, but Fat Elvis (Berkman) is growing on me.

dps

No surprise there.

When OJ was arrested and charged with 2 murders, one of Reggie's ex-teammates allegedly said, "I'm surprised it wasn't Reggie" or words to that affect.