Oklahoma Teen Mom Guns Down Armed Intruder

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 06:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2012, 03:43:08 PM
I think generally shielding young people from making decisions until they reach maturity just makes them postpone reaching that maturity, as it's those decisions and their consequences that make one grow.

Huh? "Go ahead, 16 year old, marry that 56 year old guy. Then, in 20 years, when you have learned the consequences - that it was a bad idea - you will know better next time, and hopefully grow" ?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

I agree that people making their own decisions is horrible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Malthus on January 05, 2012, 04:06:50 PM
I think generally shielding young people from making decisions until they reach maturity just makes them postpone reaching that maturity, as it's those decisions and their consequences that make one grow.

Huh? "Go ahead, 16 year old, marry that 56 year old guy. Then, in 20 years, when you have learned the consequences - that it was a bad idea - you will know better next time, and hopefully grow" ?

You'd still have a lot more of your life ahead of you to recover than if you'd married the guy at 30. If you're gonna make a mistake, do it young.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

I also don't see how the chick having casual sex with the old guy is better than her getting all the extra security for herself and her kid that marriage provided.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2012, 04:09:23 PM

You'd still have a lot more of your life ahead of you to recover than if you'd married the guy at 30. If you're gonna make a mistake, do it young.

??? What are the chances she finished high school, and now she has a kid and is a single mom at 18. Without some real help, her future looks very bleak.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

If it took 20 years for it to appear to be a bad idea I say that 16 year old had pretty good judgement compared to alot of people in their marriage choices.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2012, 04:12:36 PM

If it took 20 years for it to appear to be a bad idea I say that 16 year old had pretty good judgement compared to alot of people in their marriage choices.

Yeah how long is the average marriage today?

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on January 05, 2012, 04:11:42 PM
??? What are the chances she finished high school, and now she has a kid and is a single mom at 18. Without some real help, her future looks very bleak.

Ok so how would that be different by marrying a 17 or 18 year old?  I thought the age difference was the disturbing thing here not the very fact she is getting married at 16.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2012, 01:46:10 PM
Look at the house she's living in.  I think she saw a chance to move in to some decent digs and took it.

I hope you are joking. I never know with you.

HVC

To be fair if you're marrying a 50 year old as a teenager there's a good chance you're not getting educated anyway. and are probably going to get knocked up. so really, she's not further behind. Hopefully she at least got some life insurance and a paid for home.

i still agree it's "icky", though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on January 05, 2012, 03:36:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 03:18:53 PM
Who here is complaining that that age of consent is to high?

Everytime that age of consent laws are brought up around here, pretty much everybody who has posted on the subject has agreed that 18 is too high.  The arguments have usually been between those who feel that about 16 or so is about right, and those who argue for a lower limit.

I said it before and I will say it again. PLEASE DIE IN A FIRE. Preferably with your entire family. Kthxbye.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2012, 04:14:03 PM
I hope you are joking. I never know with you.

What is wrong with the house?  Looks pretty good for a teenager to own.  Not that I recomend this method of property acquisition :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2012, 04:15:23 PM
Quote from: dps on January 05, 2012, 03:36:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 03:18:53 PM
Who here is complaining that that age of consent is to high?

Everytime that age of consent laws are brought up around here, pretty much everybody who has posted on the subject has agreed that 18 is too high.  The arguments have usually been between those who feel that about 16 or so is about right, and those who argue for a lower limit.

I said it before and I will say it again. PLEASE DIE IN A FIRE. Preferably with your entire family. Kthxbye.

And LaCroix was attacking me for being mean to you. :lol:  God, you are such an ass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2012, 04:12:36 PM

It no doubt "appeared" to be a bad idea on day 1.

Do not mistake length of marriage with worth. The notion here is that a 16 year old marrying a close to 60 year old is going into an extremely unequal match, of the 'keep 'er pregnant and ignorant' variety, and that because of saddled with kids etc. it is gonna take her a long time to realize it was a bad deal and work up the gumption to pull away. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 04:17:52 PM
And LaCroix was attacking me for being mean to you. :lol:  God, you are such an ass.
leave the poor guy alone. probably found a wrinkle or something :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.